| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG Accoutrements: Like the Batteries on Christmas
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 8:39 am    

Hey all!

So I think I've found my first Pedal Steel thanks entirely to the direction of everyone on this great great site. I am going to see Tommy Cass on Tuesday and will be bringing home an MSA S10. Needless to say, I am insanely excited.

So here's my question. What else do I need to buy, so I can make some noise when I get home? I have a Fender Vibrolux that I'll be using (at least for now) and an Ernie Ball 6166 Volume Pedal from my guitar rig.

I assume I'll need some fingerpicks (which I can probably get at Guitar Center [eek - here's to hearing crazy train all day], and also a slide. I'm sure that much like guitar, these are very personal choices based on how I will end up playing - but because I have no idea where to start, any suggestions for good solid average choices for each.

Other than that - what am I missing? I just don't want to get home on Tuesday night and feel like a kid on Christmas whose toy needs AA Batteries, and everyplace is closed.

Thanks all!!

Booyant, Inc | creative web technology
www.booyant.com

1976 MSA S10 Classic
Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 8:56 am    

Awesome - Congrats on your new toy, that's exciting!

If you don't know already, I think the tempered tuning is important:

http://jeffran.com/tuning.php

At guitar center get:

- some metal finger picks
- a thumb pick - try a couple different thumb picks and see which you like.
- a 7/8 x Dunlop bar

I personally prefer the BJ's brand 15/16th bar after trying several others, but a lot of people use the 7/8 bar - they're both good bars (I own and have kept both).

And if you're married or have roommates - get some headphones Smile

You sound covered. have fun!
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 1:45 pm    

Michael, you didn't mention what type of Vibrolux you had, but if it's not equipped with reverb, you might want to pick up a reverb pedal. Many good recommendations here on the Forum.

Say hi to Tommy for me. I've spent many a happy hour in his basement watching him work on my guitars. He really is a master and visiting his house is like going to a pedal steel museum of vintage instruments.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 1:47 pm    

No matter how strongly you will them to fly, those electrons will insist on traveling from the guitar to the pedal to the amp thru cords so you might as well humor them.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 2:11 pm    

You might have better luck lookin online for steel guitar items like at Elderly's, Janet Davis Music or Bobbe Seymours

I walked into a "Guitar Center" once and asked for a "steel" tone bar and the pimpley faced kid with the piercings and black hair looked at me like I was from outer space. It seems that Guitar Center is more geared to "metal heads".
Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 4:06 pm    

what andy said - I wouldn't got to GC for steel stuff unless I was in a pinch (which it sounded like you were on a time deadline).

If you've got time, then yes, I'd vote for a BJ's bar. These are more expensive than dunlop bars.... but I personally, really like mine - the 15/16th's bar is perfect:
http://www.bjsbars.com/

you'll probably have stuff by Tuesday if you order it from an eastern US retailer tomorrow AM and it goes USPS Priority Mail. All those stores Andy mentioned are great and will have nice assortments of thumb picks. I've bought from Elderly.
Michael Witwicki

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2009 7:21 pm    

Thanks all!

I actually heard back from Tommy Cass today and he told me that he has everything I will need to get started (tonebars, picks, etc). I think I'll probably just get a good little starter kit from him - and then once I have a few days to play around - order from some of the online shops you pointed me towards.

Seriously - ANYTHING to avoid having to come anywhere near a Guitar Center.

Michael, I have a reissue Fender Vibrolux which does have decent reverb built in. I also have a couple of nice reverb pedals if I find I need more. I think I'll quickly need to buy a "pedal steel specific" amp. The Vibrolux sounds FANTASTIC, but it just breaks up too quickly. Sounds great for a nice crunch on my Gibson - but not what I'm looking for in a pedal steel. I have been considering selling it and upgrading to a Twin anyway.

- Michael

Booyant, Inc | creative web technology
www.booyant.com

1976 MSA S10 Classic
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 1:24 am    

a goodrich 120 volume pedal is more appropriate to psg than the ernie ball imo
good luck on your journey Micheal Very Happy
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 3:46 am