| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Banjo/steel copedent?
Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 2:54 am    

so i was wondering if one wanted to pursue a pedal steel copedent that was based on the banjo and still keep it relative to the E9 tuning (if that is possible), how would it be set up? i play banjo and understand what i am doing a lot more on that instrument than the steel and am wondering if there is a way that i could apply all that knowledge to the steel if i had a copedent that resembled it? in particular, i like how with the banjo, the 1, 3, and 5 are strings 3,2, and 1...i know this would be the weirdest setup ever and i'm ready for ridicule if i have to go thru it, but i am truly asking an honest question...if someone who understands both the banjo and steels could point me in the right direction, i am interested in how you would approach it? i was thinking of keeping the tuning so that the "G" reference position was still at the 3rd fret...is this possible? right now i am using a standard emmons setup S-10 3x4...thanks in advance...
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 4:41 am    

well, you would have to have a lot of G's and a lot of D's in the copedant - something akin to an open G like a dobro.
you could probably pull this off but it would have its limitations outside of 1-4-5 songs, requiring slants.

btw, i was messing around the other night and pulled of a note-for-note version of Earls Rubens Train using the E knee lever (lower E's > Eb) - its all there, you just have to use your grey matter. you can get a lot of banjo licks with that E lever.

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:15 am    

On eight string resophonic, one of the more widely used tunings is G6, EGBDEGBD, which is very much like a standard banjo tuning plus a sixth. It's also very much like Herb Remington's A6 pedal, shifted a fourth. With huge strings, a G and a C added on the bottom would be just like standard pedal C6, with a five on top.

But knowing all that, you could just apply that information to a C6, tuning, which will feel much more like a five string if you leave a G on top instead of putting on a "chromatic" C.

KP
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 7:07 am    

Don't worry about what notes the strings are, think about the intervallic relationship between the notes. You should actually have no trouble with E9th tuning, you'll just be playing in a different key. Knowing how to fingerpick is a big advantage for you.
BTW, I have one of my S-10s set up with an extended bottleneck G tuning.
Low to High-DGDGBDGFCE. The three high strings are still being experimented with. The guitar is meant for Blues and some Rock. Pedal A pulls to the relative minor, Em. Pedals A and B together, pull to the 4 chord, C. Strings 10 through 5 are standard bottleneck Low G tuning. Strings 9 through 4 have the same string to string relationship as bottleneck E tuning.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 12:48 pm    

A bump, and a question.
Why is this topic in "Electronics?"
Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2009 3:48 pm    

it was late and i posted it in the wrong place...should be moved to pedal steel i think...anyway...maybe i should change a couple strings to have the same relationship as the banjo somewhere on my e9 setup...but i also like the tuning the way it is...it would just be nice to be able to do those rolls like the banjo and just transfer all the technique so to speak...