| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Let Me Be The First To Complain
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 5:24 pm    

The steel player can be heard but not seen on the George Strait ACM Artist Of The Decade All Star Concert. I'm listening to the show at this moment. I'm not happy with the stage arrangement that blocks out the steel player.
Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 5:39 pm    

Paul Franklin.

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 5:44 pm     Franklin

Paul Franklin may not have a spotlight on him, but my gosh has he played some gorgeous steel guitar.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 May 2009 6:04 pm    

Keep in mind Bill, this is the George Strait ACM Artist Of The Decade All Star Concert.....
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 6:35 pm    

Yeah, well so what? George is Paul's singer, isn't he? Whoa!
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 6:56 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Yeah, well so what? George is Paul's singer, isn't he? Whoa!

Actually, George is just one of Paul's singers. Razz
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 7:44 pm    

Paul does great under any circumstances. There were a couple of good shots of Paul. Jody.
Robbie Crabtree

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 7:45 pm    

Paul is great, Too bad they could not show him enough. It pissed me off but I do so love George Strait music. I played this music for years.I noticed Paul did not play some of the songs the way he played them on the sessions. I am sure he can not remember all the sessions he has done. The show was good, seemed like they were rushed, I still enjoyed it. Very Happy
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 1:29 am    

Actually, this complaint was made while not knowing who the steel player was in reality. Besides, it doesn't matter who the steel player was at the time that I noticed something was amiss. This time, either the player, (Paul) requested to be heard and not seen, or country music has taken still another twist for the sake of social engineering. A perfect chance to promote the steel guitarist has blown away with the times. Patronizing other details were more than adequate, such as the huge piano plopped on stage. George Strait deserves the source of honor that was bestowed upon him, but not at the expense of belittling the players who helped to make him famous. I wonder where he would be today if steel players had refused to be a part of his band?
Watch the show, and take note of the celebrated guests beating on their acoustic guitars, while Paul was somewhere in the back, probably quite unnoticed by the youngest of George Strait fans.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 1:42 am    

I just assumed it was Mike Daly back there. He's usually wearing a black hat looking down, and is fairly indiscreet.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 3:34 am    

Barry B.,

Duh! As a self-styled steel guitarist, totally independent of trends by others, there is not a chance that I am not aware of who's presenting, and who's receiving. I'm saying that the steel guitar community was shortchanged during the George Strait Celebration.
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 3:47 am    

Bill Hankey wrote:

Watch the show, and take note of the celebrated guests beating on their acoustic guitars, while Paul was somewhere in the back

I recorded it and have watched it twice now. Paul is right down front, in fact he is the band member farthest in front on stage left. He's also up front in the mix. Sure Stuart had more close ups, but on the wide shots, Paul is right there in the picture next to Brent(who had less camera time then Paul).

Bill Hankey wrote:
I wonder where he would be today if steel players had refused to be a part of his band?

Actually George Strait is the singer with the "Ace In The Hole Band", and Mike Daily (the steel player), is one of the co-founders and owners of the band. So George is the singer in a steel players band.

The show was about George more than the musicians, but that's just about true for any commercial music.
I will give Lee Ann Womack credit, when Brent took a solo she turned around and watched him and focused the attention on him. To bad it didn't work, because the camera just stayed on her.
I think the post-production editors just didn't realize how upset they were going to make folks, on music forums, by focusing on the big name artist type stars.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 3:58 am    

How about this? Simply tell the truth about your true feelings. Were you not annoyed by the lack of the visual thing, befitting a renowned steel guitarist?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 4:25 am    

Alvin B.,

The lighting arrangements were designed to obliterate a clear focusing on the players at different times. There are no sustitutes for clarity in visual circumstances. Program directors have fallen short, (not unusual) it's been going on for much too long now, (as the song goes) as in the case of lesser instrumentists winning at the instrumental awards division of the C.M.A. voting procedures. Today, finding the most outstanding steel guitarist, would be quite difficult. There are numerous players who have reached the highest achievements imaginable. Perhaps voters who do not play the instrument should be omitted from determining who receives a special yearly award.
Alvin Blaine

Post  Posted 28 May 2009 4:25 am    

NO I wasn't annoyed. I saw who it was and he was more visible than some others on stage.. I think I've just come to expect a major network production to not give working musicians air time or credit.
Did you see enough that you name the rest of the band?

Last edited by Alvin Blaine on 28 May 2009 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Alvin Blaine

Post  Posted 28 May 2009 4:31 am    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Alvin B.,

The lighting arrangements were designed to obliterate a clear focusing on the players at different times. There are no sustitutes for clarity in visual circumstances. Program directors have fallen short, (not unusual) it's been going on for much too long now, (as the song goes) as in the case of lesser instrumentists winning at the instrumental awards division of the C.M.A. voting procedures. Today, finding the most outstanding steel guitarist, would be quite difficult. There are numerous players who have reached the highest achievements imaginable. Perhaps voters who do not play the instrument should be omitted from determining who receives a special yearly award.

I still never figured out why/how a drummer won "Specialty Instrument of The Year" award from the ACM's a couple of months ago.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 4:46 am    

quote"

"I think the post-production editors just didn't realize how upset they were going to make folks, on music forums, by focusing on the big name artist type stars."

Which is about .001 percent of his fan base... Smile
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 4:48 am    

Alvin B.,

To be truthful, I thought the production was one of the best I've seen in quite some time. George's smile is worth the price of admission, and his candid reminder at his acceptance speech, reminding his fans that "I'm not finished yet", was a delight. All of the guests treated George with a wonderful respect that is a credit to their own professionalism in country music. I am concerned to the point of speaking out by the low profile image projected towards the steel guitarist throughout the scheduled two hour show.
Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 5:07 am    

Alright, I'll say it: Bill, you can speak english!

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 5:11 am    

Much ado about nothing

SS
John Hopkin

Post  Posted 28 May 2009 5:21 am     ...hmmmmm...

...mike daily...george strait...

Mullen RP, MSA, Sho-Bud Pro II, Yamaha keyboards, MalletKat vibes
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 5:29 am    

Stephen S.,

You may very well be contributing to the lack of proper recognition of the steel guitarists supporting mediocre singers throughout this great gathering of musicians. Be serious, start contributing to things that will be of benefit to the steel guitarists who are accounted for in working bands across America.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 5:46 am    

Quote:
How about this? Simply tell the truth about your true feelings. Were you not annoyed by the lack of the visual thing, befitting a renowned steel guitarist?

No. This was a show about George Strait, not the backing musicians. But in fact, I think more credit is given to the musicians now than back in the "golden era" of honkytonk country music - let's say 1950s and 60s. Did we see musician credits on records? No, but they're sure there now. On a lot of TV appearances, musicians were completely offstage - I remember that seeming strange at the time. Still happens sometimes, but I can't find any fault with the type of presentation being discussed here.

Singers like George Strait show obvious respect to these great players. They're members of a band - they're on TV - they're probably making good money. What's the problem? I don't see any problem at all.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 May 2009 5:58 am    

Bill,

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 6:26 am    

Some folks complain about a free meal.

Sheesh! Rolling Eyes