| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cabinet drop question
Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 12:05 pm    

I have never owned a PSG that did not have What we call "cabinet drop". That is, when pedals are engaged,( floor or knee) one or more strings will detune. while I love my present steel, it will detune around 2 hertz on my korg tuner, The 6th string on E9th being the worst. Aside from putting compensators on these strings, I am wondering if welding the end plates to the side rails ala MCI , would this help.Anyone tried this?
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 3:49 pm    

I DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD HELP OR NOT.

Deflection,bending, compression, stretching is natural for any material. Some materials more than others. Structures can be made stiffer by the shapes used, and the materials used.

The deflection that we talk about in the design of steel guitars is called "cabinet drop". But there are many things happening simultaneously. The pitch of a string(s) will deflect with the forces from a knee lever or floor pedal. Just as the wing on a B1 bomber will deflect under forces.

My good old Stratocaster 6 string electric (Spanish style) geetar has "cabinet drop", depending on how hard and where I place my fingers, etc. Somehow I have learned to play it in tune, even though it is never in tune. Tune it perfectly to a strobe, intonate it perfectly, then form a G barre chord at fret three. It will be out of tune everytime.
My MSA Millenium Carbon fibre cabinet has some "drop". Especially mashing 5 and 6 at the same time. Maybe 4c (1 hz).

Get the cabinet as stiff as possible.(This is a function of shape and material. Use heavier gauge pedal rods and cross shafts. Make them out of stiffer material. Machine the changer out of a steel alloy (3 times stiffer) than aluminum.

All this can be done for a price. Money and weight.

Forgive my rambling.

R2
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 6:59 pm    

Eddie, This has been beat to death on the forum.
There is no cure for cabnet drop. The Derby I had, had some but not bad. I now have a Rittenberry that is better but has a little. IMHO the best compensator you can have is your bar. Some steels are better than others. I think the best advice anyone could give you would be don't worry about it and learn to live with it like the rest of us. If its really bad there has to be a mechanical problem.
Hope this helps, BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 8:13 pm    

The changer shaft has alot to do with cabinet drop also Smile

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 7:28 am    

And flex and slack in the keyhead and tuners. Basically any moving part anywhere in the mechanisms the strings are attached to has some minute degree of slack and flex, and it all adds up. In the body, the changer slot is a weak spot for flex.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 7:39 am    

Quote:
...while I love my present steel, it will detune around 2 hertz on my korg tuner...

The heck with what the tuner says. How does it affect your playing? If you sound better on a guitar with less drop, it may be significant. If you don't, it's a moot point.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 10:29 am    

Don't know about the welding either, but I would doubt it would help any.

I've been using a compensator rod on string 6 for years on several name brand D10's. It's a cheap, simple installation and completely cures the detuning problem that occurs on the 6th when actuating the A pedal or with the AF combination.

I would add it is not always a problem, but can occur with particular guitars even those of the same brand and design. Lots of times it's not audible. In those cases, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is audible, the comp. will fix most of those problems.

If you have a situation where more than one string is detuning to a point you can hear it, the cure is not that simple.