| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Latency
Lee Gillespie

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 3:50 am    

I've developed a latency problem with Guitar Tracks Pro 3. I have E mailed Cakewalk 3 times, and they dont have the decency to acknowledge my question.
I download my BIAB rhythm to GT,as I have many times in the past, with no problems. The only new factor is I had to replace my sound card. The tech installed Audigy LS. I moved the latency mixer slider all the way to the right and it seem to help, but still the latency problem exist. Help... Lee
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 May 2009 12:56 am    

Latency is not a Cakewalk problem, it's a PC / Interface problem. latency is the biggest issue with PC recording.

What interface and drivers are you using ?

Cakewalk does have a midi and audio reset button up at the top, you should reset both of those after each take.

The correct drivers being used is also a must.

Programs like Guitar Tracks and Fender Amplitube are real memory hogs and can drain your system of resources in a heartbeat.

Back to the interface and the drivers question. I recently had a Tascam USB interface which I use with Cakewalk, I could never get the latency resolved, now I have an Maudio hard card interface, all is fine but I do need to add memory to my system as the more I have opened in the way of VST's and the more tracks I use I do run into issues.

The PC I use is dedicated for music, no internet, no virus, no firewall protections, nothing running in the background.

t

some forum topic links

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=150319

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=151753
Lee Gillespie

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2009 7:20 am     Latency

Thank you Tony for the comeback.... I printed all the material you referenced on latency... and now will study. I'm like Chris..I am definately a techo-dum dum when it comes to this devil woman. I'm like a bunch of other computer dum dum's.. I want to install the program and start pickin and grinnin..instead of having to take a college course in computer science. Here's hoping for a better tomorrow on this devil woman. Thanks again Lee

Marty Robbins said it all when he sang "DEVIL WOMAN SET ME FREE"
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 4:52 am    

Lee,

For what it's worth, I've been the same route as you are now.

Take Tony's advice. The M-Audio card is a breeze to install, and will solve the latency issues for good.

Best 90 bucks I've ever spent on gear!
Lee Gillespie

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 5:32 am     Latency

Hi David. Witch Maudio are you talking about for 99 buxs?... the Maudio 10/10 is 199 on musicians friend.
I noticed a Maudio fast track usb for 99 buxs.. is this the one your refering to?.... thanks Lee
Gwyneth Morgan

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2009 9:08 am    

If you haven't done so, it's absolutely critical that you install and direct I/O to ASIO drivers, rather than the native audio drivers on the PC.

Also, whenever you're doing audio work, kill all non-essential programs and services... especially firewalls, virus protection, etc.
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 5:51 am    

Lee,

Here it is.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audiophile-2496-PCI-Digital-Audio-Card?sku=701341

I actually got mine from amazon, check around, you may find a better deal.

Good Luck,
David