| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommended Latino/Hispanic/Tejano Listening List?
Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 9:59 am    

This is probably a long shot since this kind of music doesn't have much (if any) steel guitar in it. But can any of you afficionados recommend introductory CDs or a listening list for me so I learn more about it?
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 11:02 am    

I'm certainly not an expert, but I know there's a lot of different "sub-genres" that fall within your description. I believe "Tejano" is usually the name given to slicker, more pop sounding stuff ala Selena; "Norteno" and "Conjunto" are names for some of the more traditional styles, all sometimes falling under the description of "Tex-mex" as well.

For more traditional styles it's hard to go wrong with accordionist Flaco Jimenez (who I believe is considered "Norteno") or his father Santiago. In my Tejas days I remember seeing Esteban "Steve" Jordan ("the Jimi Hendrix of the accordian") who was always great, and "Little Joe, Johnny y la Familia" who were cool and very, very popular on the circuit.

The L.A. band Los Lobos have made a couple of cool albums of fairly traditional stuff; "La Pistola Y El Corazon" and "Just Another Band from East L.A.". For a kind of hybrid introduction there's "Los Super Seven", a kind of everchanging "supergroup" that at various times has included Flaco, Ruben Ramos, Doug Sahm and members of Los Lobos; they've made several CDs over the years.

To someone who really knows the music these might be either obvious or lame choices, but it's a start!
Geoff Barnes

Sydney, Australia
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 2:05 pm     Re: Recommended Latino/Hispanic/Tejano Listening List?

Matt Rhodes wrote:
This is probably a long shot since this kind of music doesn't have much (if any) steel guitar in it. But can any of you afficionados recommend introductory CDs or a listening list for me so I learn more about it?

"Partners" might be a good place to start... one of my favourite albums with plenty of familiar names helping out... Sorta like the Flaco version of the "Bradley Barn" sessions. Smile

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 2:13 pm    

I'm not an expert on Mexican/Tejano music either, but maybe I can help a little with this question.

Like Pete said there are a lot of genres and sub-genres in Latin/Mexican/Tejano music. Are you primarily needing info on the more popular stuff in the Texas area, which would probably be a larger percentage of Tejano with a lesser amount of some regional Mexican music? Or Latin/Hispanic music in general, including all kinds of Mexican and South American music?

I'm in Mexico City, been here for almost 5 years and been playing with a 9-piece band that does a little bit of everything so I'm getting good exposure to lots of different kinds of music... I can give you a list of the genres, popular groups/artists and even mp3's if you want, of the main types of music in Mexico, and I'm sure there are many up in Texas who listen to it...but for what's the hottest thing in Tejano music right now I couldn't tell you that but I do know some people in your area that can tell you everything you could imagine about Tejano music, and I can tell you where to find them if that would help.

Let me know if this is what you need.
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 6:03 pm    

http://www.myspace.com/latropaf

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=1091844&style=music&frm=frooglemusic
Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 8:53 pm    

Thanks for the responses and suggestions, guys. Jim, I'm afraid the genres I gave are from a bolillo's limited vocabulary. So far I've been listening to Trio (Los Diamantes, Los Panchos, etc.). This (as well as mariachi) is very popular in the local restaurants. Not so sure yet about roc en espaƱol - the stations here do play what sounds like dated 80's American pop. You pegged it correctly: Latin music in general, regardless of the region. There are books in Hawai'i that recommend "the best" CDs. No doubt there are similar standards that folks from Latin America uphold and a simple list (with discography?) from you would be very helpful.

I'm finding that there are many restaurants and bands in Houston that have been off my radar and have a lot to offer musically. I just don't want to waste time and money trying to figure out the gems from the dreck.
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 18 May 2008 9:12 pm    

Ok Matt, sounds like you're getting a pretty good handle on it, really.... I'll work up a list of some of the more popular groups of the different genres I've come to know, and if you'd like I can email you mp3's of them too, as a sampler of sorts. Give me a few days to get it together, not that it'll be such a huge list but it's been kinda crazy around here lately and I'm just getting sloooooower tooo.... Smile
Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2008 6:59 am    

Thanks, Jim, I think a small list will be enough. Half the fun in discovering this music is buying CDs at the local mercados and supporting the economy. I appreciate the help.
Lynn Trimble

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 11:04 pm    

Hello Matt,
I stumbled on this thread and thought if you were still hunting some listening material I might offer a couple of suggestions. Tobias Rene is based here in NM and has a full time steel player, also I have been playing steel in a tejano group for about three years and am loving it. Ramon Ayala has some great stuff to listen to and also the Kumbia Kings are very good. There is also David Lee Garza who may be more known in Texas but they play good dance music.

Pete was right on target with his descriptions of different types of latino music and recommended listening. We opened for Little Joe and he is definitely a class act. Hope this helps if you are still interested. A word of warning though, if you do wind up in a tejano band and they ask you to pinch hit for the bajo sexto player that could'nt
make it that night "just say no" them durn things are addictive and you'll wind up wanting one before it's all over. If you want some specific types of latino music let me know and I will get with the guys and have them give me some more names.

Token Gringo in Grupo Cielo,
Lynn