| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help identifying Emmons p/p parts
Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2009 1:40 pm    

Since picking up a really nice Emmons S10 p/p recently I have been learning the ins and outs of it very gradually. I can tune it and make basic raise/lower fine tuning via the set screws at the changer end but would like eventually to go further into it. I used to have an Emmons catalog from the p/p era and I seem to remember it had some pages with photos of all the individual parts and their names, i.e. bellcranks, crossbars, rods, springs, fingers, collars, brackets, etc. I have obtained some literature that explains the Emmons p/p system and how to do more complicated procedures but they don't have a lot of visual aids. I think I could pick it up easier if I could see a picture of the individual parts/descriptions. Does anyone know of sources that have these pictures/pages? The Emmons website only has the Legrand parts now. Thanks in advance.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 May 2009 5:10 pm    

Walter:

Bobbe seymour has a video exsplaining the complete maintenance of the Emmons p/p system.

Go to www.steelguitar.net and look in the video section. I don't have the video, but other pickers are saying it's great!! Here's a link to comments.

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003933.html

Cool
Bruce Hamilton

Vancouver BC Canada
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 4:34 pm    

If you check ebay there is a constantly running ad for Clem Schmit's (spelling?) package which not only has a written publication with blow by blow pictures on the subject but also a video describing how to work on push pulls. He also has parts available.It doesn't get any better than that.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 May 2009 7:49 pm    

Yea, it does too!
Ha!
Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2009 6:56 am    

I did get a copy of Clem's "Methodology and Practice" and it is a very good source/reference tool but it reminds me of the shop manual I had for an English sports car I used to own. It explains things but seems to assume the reader is already familiar with what things/parts are called and look like. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that a "shifting spanner" was actually a crescent wrench. That is why I was seeking the old Emmons catalog pics; It illustrates and names the obvious parts (nameplate, adjustable legs) and the less than obvious parts to the p/p guitars in the proper terms to communicate with more experienced and knowledgeable people like Clem and Bobbe. I am a more visually oriented person I guess and maybe the video would enlighten further. I would appreciate any feedback from other forum members who bought the videos/dvds and, like me, like to tweak things but know better than to just start turning things because they can be turned. I appreciate your patience with a long lapsed steeler returning to the fold. All the best to all of you.

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2009 10:49 am     Old Emmons catalog parts list

Hi Walter,

I've scanned in a photo showing many push-pull parts and their names from Emmons catalog #734 (date unknown), but I am unable to upload the high-res version because it exceeds the maximum pixels allowed by the SG Forum software.

Here's a low-res version. If you can't read it, I can fax it to you if you send me your fax number.

- Dave

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 17 May 2009 7:08 am    

I want the Rosinit! -L-

New Jersey
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 9:40 am    

I want those prices! Very Happy
Clinton Kraus

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 23 May 2009 10:30 pm    

Hey Walter,
I was in the same boat as you. Had no idea how to play pedal steel, got a great deal on an Emmons original P/P S10, looked underneath the beast and almost cried. I bought Clem's DVD and booklet and it certainly put me on the right path. The only downfall of the DVD is that he is a great P/P mechanic but a lousy camera man. Sometimes when he is explaining a critical point of the rebuild, the camera is pointing somewhere else. Having said that, this DVD is integral to anybody that is new to the world of the Emmons P/P. I can only suggest doing what I did and that is to label every part VERY carefully, dismantle the underbelly, and painstakingly put it back together very slowly and patiently. This took me a whole weekend and I messed it up the first time, but the second time got it bang on. Now I have no fear of my fickle misstress, and have a much better understanding of how the P/P works.
Good luck mate.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 4:03 am    

Walter,
Oops that's legrande parts...sorry Walter..Bill

Edited for not reading full content of first post !!