| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kenny Chesney
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 1:12 pm    

Kenny is coming to Macon, GA on Friday night. Anyone know if he has a band and if so who his steeler is?

Chuck
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 2:08 pm    

Chuck, Kenny's steel player is Jim Bob Gairrett from Billings, Montana. Before joining Kenny, Jim Bob had played steel for Sammy Kershaw. In the 70s Jim Bob and his brothers had a band called the Gairrett Brothers Band. Jim is playin' a Mullen Royal Precision D-10 and before he switched to Mullen guitars, he played a red Zumsteel D-10 on tour with Kenny.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 4:18 pm    

I bet Brett knows what he had for supper last night. Brett's the guy when you want to know about steel players. A wealth of knowledge and a good player and singer too.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 7:01 pm    

Way to go Brett. We can always depend on you to keep us straight. Jody.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 May 2009 7:15 pm    

Thank you, Jody & Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 6:14 am    

Thanks Brett

Saw you in Clinton GA a couple of years ago. I was the fat ugly one. Very Happy lol
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 25 May 2009 10:17 pm    

To show you just how on top of it Brett really is, note that he used the correct family name spelling, "Gairrett" instead of the more common "Garrett", which if I remember correctly, even the brothers used for a while just to simplify things.

I met Jim Bob and his brothers John and Darrell when they played at the Caravan Club in Amarillo, Tx. in 1977, I was playing in the Happy Hour band. I was 21 years old and Jim Bob was still in his teens, and yet had tone, touch, technique, expression and creativity to die for. He was playing a Sho-Bud at that time. I had just begun playing psg full-time, I'd played both guitar and steel for years but up to that time in working bands I played the majority of song on 6-string guitar, considered it my "main" instrument so hadn't really progressed very far on steel and I began trying to copy everything he did.

I couldn't come close to his level of playing, never did, still can't... but I did learn a lot from watching and listening and he and his brothers were always supportive and encouraging.

I couldn't hold a candle to him on steel but would sit in on regular 6-string electric guitar with the band and we had great times. I never got to know Darrell real well but John and Jim Bob were great friends, players and people. I'm glad to see Jim Bob is still playing and still playing great.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2009 1:23 pm    

HE used to have the fasteest version of Orange Blossom Special I ever heard. And no flailing super fast clean pickin... Great player.