| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Left arm pain
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 1:17 pm    

OK all you gray-haired pedal steelers, help me out here. I've been playing for 4 months, and starting to notice pain in the left arm and wrist. I know what RSI is (repetitive stress injury). Is that why some PS models have a pad to rest your arms on? Anybody else have this problem? If you have a pad, does your arm touch it while you play? Thanks for any advice.
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 1:33 pm     Arm Pain

I currently pick a S 10, I have pain issues, thank God. I played a D10 for years. Unfortunately, I did not have the time for two tunnings, so I laid a towel aacross the back neck and it was really comfortable

P.S. and there is a country song in this somewhere waiting to be written. All my pain has been caused by the female gender and a whole lotta pleasure also

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 1:47 pm    

The pain is likely caused by too much tension in your hand and wrist as you play. It takes time and work to relax. Jeff Newman showed his way of holding the bar...mostly his index fingertip. Very light pressure and very relaxed. Vibrato from the wrist will translate up into the elbow and deltoid muscle too. Vibrato from the fingertip...It does get better and easier. Ibuprofin and some rest is a good idea if it's a sharp pain. Smile
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 2:30 pm    

I'm only 34, but I get this too (all stems from a cycling accident a few years back!) I've found that 'active release' from my chiropractor is great (sort of like moving muscle massage) and acupuncture is really helpful for relief. For prevention, relaxing is super important, but also stretching the fingers, hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and neck before and after playing is essential as well.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 6:19 pm     A comment regarding left wrist pain and suffering

Tommy: This olde, gray haired, wanna-be musician that strums away on both lap and pedal steels never encountered this problem.

Like others here have mentioned, YOU really haven't been playing long enough to discover and master the proper way of holding/moving the bar. There should be no pain unless something is 'broke'.

As you practice more and more, you'll likely find that your neck and shoulders have developed a discomforting pain. NOT TO WORRY! Later on, you'll likely find that your butt-end gets sore from sitting on some hard surfaced chair, barrel or guitar case or whatever. As the gigs multiply, your lower back will likely develop some aches and pains from lifting, bending forward and backward, and carrying your g'tar long distances to and from your rig.. not to mention up and down narrow stairways. One day, your sinuses will likely burn from the irritation of cigarette smoke from within the club your playing in. Headaches can occur from eye strain, attempting to see the cute little blond that's standing just out of view on the other side of the dance floor or bar. These are common ailments of a dedicated steel guitar player.

In all my years of playing....I have yet to see any 'respected instructional material' that even remotely suggests that one should plan on lying down on the job. I've heard all kinds of excuses for having to lay ones' arm on the arm rest over the pickup, on towels and pads..........etc.

In my opinion, it is a matter of learning the proper playing technique from the beginning before you've made a BAD HABIT into an every day ache and pain. Resting the ARM on any fixture would most likely hinder the free movement of your bar hand and thus, your playing outcome will suffer. GOOD LUCK!
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 8:27 pm    

Hi Tommy,
I reduced pain during my continuing struggle to learn this instrument by making sure my rear end was far away the floor. (i.e. the seat was high enough). I am almost 60 so this is getting to be a little more of an issue.
I had numbness and tingling in my left hand because of the slight upward angle, and cramping in my hip joints that began to feel like arthritis.

I tried sitting on folded towels and phone books until I found a height where my knees were slightly below my hips. This kept my shoulders high enough to make all the other angles work. Made my hip joints quit aching also.
My cheap solution was to buy a wood 4-leg barstool off craigslist and cut the legs off to just the right height (for me about 6' it is about 22").
(Yes it took a couple tries before it quit wobbling...)
A nice pac-a-seat I am sure would be the elegant answer if you got one the right height.

-Paul
Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2009 2:34 am    

I used to laugh at pickers that used hand trucks to move their equipment around, but after 40+ years of carrying heavy amps and my D-10 Steel I am now using hand trucks! I may have waited too late as my joints ache all the time. So, don't be too proud and save yourself some pain later by using those hand trucks.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2009 4:37 am    

Me too,
From pushing too hard on the bar.
try to just use the tip of the bar only covering the strings you need.
bad habit,... hard to break,..
I have to think about it
and keep working on it.
John Allison

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2009 5:07 am    

I just had my first PSG "gig" last night (although it's a fairly informal jam at my buddy's restaurant, I eat for free and sometimes people listen, so I think it qualifies as a gig...) Smile

After hauling 70# worth of vintage behemoth in it's OHSC (original home-made sh**ty case)and sitting for 3 hours on a lawn chair/cushion arrangement and gripping too tight and playing too hard, I hurt all over!

I'll put casters on the case and get a proper-height seat to deal with most of it. As for the hand, wrist and forearm pain, I've found that it starts to go away as soon as I know the music better and can play with a relaxed touch. I've caught myself really tensing my left arm and pressing the bar into the strings, when I'm trying to keep up with unfamiliar tunes.

I noticed the biggest difference when I switched from a heavy-weight steel bar to a proper sized Tribotone.
www.allisonguitars.com
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2009 5:11 am    

Thanks for all the tips. I'll work on relaxing that left arm.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2009 8:05 am    

The bar grip should be relaxed, almost loose. Also, the bar weight should provide most of the downforce,so "pressing down" shouldn't be necessary. (The weight of the bar and your hand is more than adequate.)

A good guage is that if you've never droped the bar, or it's never slipped, you're probably holding it too tight. Manipulating the bar should be as easy, smooth, and comfortable, as the use of a computer mouse. Smile
John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2009 5:47 pm    

When I got my first steel, I tried to use this small diameter bullet bar someone had loaned to me. It hurt my hand so much I couldn't get through 3 songs. After purchasing a couple of larger diameter bars to play with ,the pain went away. Have you considered the size of the bar your using? John
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2009 4:44 pm    

After reading 2 posts about the bar, I went digging in my pack seat to see what I could find in the former owner's collection. There were 4 bars, 2 large and 2 small. I've been using one of the large bars, but the other one is heavier, so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the tips!
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2009 7:13 pm    

There is some information about this problem on John Ely's website. At one point he did develop a repetitive motion stress injury and couldn't play for a year or more. You might be interested in his story.

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2009 3:04 am     hurt

for me, too much downward pressure,too tight a hold on the bar, as well as using my wrist, instead of fingers, for improper slants caused a lot of pain.
Nice "n" easy does it
Rick