| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  re:Page 42
Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 4:41 am    

Check out the new Musician's Friend Catalogue page 42...now selling Carter Steels starter kit $699 3/4 single neck
Bill in Vegas
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 4:52 am    

Sam Ash is also selling them now. I was in the Tampa, Fl store a couple of weeks ago and they had one set up on the floor. They had no idea how to tune it, etc. One salesman asked me to write down the open tuning and then and I tuned it up for them.
Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 4:56 am    

Go Teachers Go...here comes a chance to make a few bucks...would suggest dropping business cards off to these locations right away...Bill in Vegas
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 9:44 am    

Ann.......In locations where there isn't a Musicians Friend store,(i.e. Oklahoma City), is there a possibility that the Carter Starter will be available at other franchise stores, such as "Mars"?

Sending or taking a potential buyer or student into a store for a hands-on demo would be far more effective than a catalogue offering. www.genejones.com
Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 10:19 am    

No matter what brand the steel is, I see it as a possible breakthrough in exposing the Steel Guitar as an instrument today. Bill in Vegas
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2001 1:49 pm    

Bill,

I got one last December. I learned enough with it, to know playing steel is something I wanted to do!

Never would I have been able to budget the price of a new pro model steel without knowing that first. You know, being a family man, i.e., not wealthy - already have a ton invested in music gear, all the other excuses there are... One of the big ones also, to me at the time, was I wanted to see one, before buying it. $699.00 isn't much for a steel guitar, but a lot to spend on a toy that really couldnt be used... I found a local dealer (1 1/2 hours away). He didnt know a thing about steel, but at least I got to see it, and put my hands on it.

I did upgrade to a D-10 Carter, and am having a ball with it in my group. And I bought it without seeing it, because I knew I could trust Carter, from my experience with the Starter.

I still have the Starter, and it plays and sounds wonderful. My plan, is to contact the local music stores (the ones I trust and know well), and ask to sit it in their stores for a while, with a small amp hooked to it, and let prospective steelers play with it. I'll bet they can get people hooked in a heartbeat on playing steel. And if people want them, they can become dealers and sell them. But in any case, people can see a real live steel, not just a picture of one. I want to try to use the Starter, to premote steel guitar to others like me, if I can.

My experience so far, is even though I'm not the best player in the world, people love the sound of a steel, plain and simple. It adds so much to music. People in Ohio don't get to hear steel every day.

BTW, the dealer I found, that had that one Starter in stock, now has 6 steel guitars in stock, and a few used ones besides.. Must be a market for them..

Sorry for rambling on, but your point hit home..

Tom

Al Gershen

Grants Pass, OR, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 7:54 am    

Hi Bill Nauman & SGF:

Actually the Musician's Friend catalogs have been advertising Carter Steel Guitars for probably a couple years now.

I wonder how effective this sales promotion is?

Sierra Steel Guitar also had a model in some prior Musician's Friend catalogs but they don't appear there any more.

When you look at a Musician's Friends catalog (which is available for free in the mail; just register on their website) and see that pages upon pages are devoted to the guitar but only a small portion of one page is devoted to the pedal steel guitar, you realize what a minority we are as steel guitarists.

Regards,
Al Gershen
Grants Pass, OR
Aldg's Photos on
http://communities.msn.com/AldgsPhotos/

[This message was edited by Al Gershen on 07 November 2001 at 07:55 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 8:13 am    

When you consider that many music stores that carry pedal steels may have a 100 to 1 or even a larger ratio of "6 string" guitars to pedal steel sales you can see why. Same way with accessory/effects manufacturers.

With the relatively small customer base it's a wonder there any companies at all that are making steel guitar accessories (e.g. Hilton and Goodrich).

But back to the original post. With large companies such as Musician Friend or Sam Ash carrying the Carter Starter there must be a market for them. If there wasn't they wouldn't be selling them.

At the Sam Ash I was in, all the salesmen thought it was a "cool" instrument and they were fascinated with just a couple of licks I hit checking it after tuning it up. Sort of didn't take much to "amuse" them.
Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 8:25 am    

Hey Jack, Let's take a break from all this money we are supposed to be making and go on the road with our bar and picks from one Carter outlet to the next. We could have special Tin Cups made too! Bill in Vegas
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 9:38 am    

No thanks, Bill. I like to eat.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 12:56 pm    

Since wondering above about outlets other than Musicians Friend,I find that there is a world-wide Carter-Starter Dealer network listed at:
http://carterstarter.com/CS_dealers/dlrsearch.html and a web-site at: www.carterstarter.com

I've got to get out more......Gene
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2001 4:29 pm    

I bought my Carter starter thru Musicians Friend with no hassles.

It's also good to know our forum carries the Jagwire strings recomended with this instrament.
I just keep finding excuses not to practice
LOL

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047