| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So many choices, so many variations..........
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 3:38 pm    

WHAT drives a steel guitar player to pursue with such fanatical exuberance and occasionally at such homongus personal expense......a particular sound?

The hours of lonely isolation doing something few others will recognize and/or appreciate while his/her friends are outside having a good social time, further compound this question.

We all have heard those that haven't quite reached the high point in achieving their perfection of sound, according to our ears.....but........what about the others?

I'd be interested in YOUR response.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 4:18 pm    

When you play a regular guitar, it sounds like a guitar, then all you have to do is learn how to play it.

But a steel guitar is different. I've been trying for years to make my steels (and I have several) sound like the guys on the Opree, but no matter how I adjust the tone controls, or no matter what processors I use, the sound just doesn't sound right to me. So, the driving force for me is to find that elusive sound in my head that I'm chasing after.

Jerry Byrd once sold a steel to someone who complained that it didn't sound the same when he was playing it as when Jerry was playing it. The reason, of course, was that he was not Jerry Byrd. Very Happy

I don't think I'm any closer to finding the sound now than I was forty years ago, but I'll probably die trying. Rolling Eyes

As an afterthought, I don't have that same problem on the Dobro. I'm happy that the sound I get is within the normal parameters of what everyone else sounds like. The same goes for the Weissenborn.

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 23 May 2009 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 4:29 pm    

Well Ray, that is a very interesting question.
So far, I've been fortunate to enjoy the sounds I've been hearing on my very simple set up. At only a year and a half into PSG, the only things that I've concerned myself with is a decent quality steel (certainly not a high end model) and a decent amp to play it through. The only add on I've got is a delay pedal, which I use only occasionally. A volume pedal, a real nice bar from Mr. Stroud and some Jagwires from bOb, and that's about it.

I was warned early on that there's quite a learning curve to PSG. So at this point I'm thinking "that sound" will get more focused with more learning and playing experience. To my ear, pedal steel guitars(in general) are such beautiful sounding instruments that it's hard to get a bad sound out of them unless I play poorly (which I'm very capable of doing... Laughing )
Fortunately, we have this forum and great learning material/teachers to help a newcomer. Who knows? I could easily become a PSG sound tweaker in the very near future as there are so many great sounding players that I admire here and on many recordings.

Post  Posted 23 May 2009 6:44 pm     That "SOUND"

The SOUND is not created by the equipment it is produced by the equipment. The sound comes from the heart,soul,hands, personality and personal talent of the musician.

We've all heard musicians who played great, really fast, never missed a lick...but who was he? We can't remember his name the next day. He didn't play with the depth, emotion and style we try to copy. Therefore he didn't have the sound "we wanted"

Now, I would say "if I could only play like Ray Montee, I would have made it where I want to be". And, Ray would say "if I could play like Jerry Byrd I would be where I want to be". Look for "THE SOUND" at the end of the rainbow.

With all this said...it is all just MHO!!!

Tommy

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 23 May 2009 8:36 pm     Re: So many choices, so many variations..........

Ray Montee wrote:
WHAT drives a steel guitar player to pursue with such fanatical exuberance and occasionally at such homongus personal expense......a particular sound?

I really don't think this is limited to steel players Very Happy The amount of time and money I've spent chasing tone on my electric 6-string rig is truly appalling. The tone quest is something most musicians who are serious about their craft/art engage in. And it's not limited to guitar players! You should see the amount of money some horn players will spend on a mouth piece or a violinist will spend on a bow. Makes PSG's seem downright cheap by comparison.