| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  beginning steel player
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 4:19 am    

Just wanted to say hello. I am buying a GFI s-10 from Bobbe Seymour with hopes of learning to play pedal steel. I have been playing guitar for 30 years. Any recommendations from seasoned players on instructional books or dvd's to get me started ? thanks.
Robert Cook

Collierville,TN
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 4:47 am    

Tell Bobbe to jump start you with some of his DVDs. They are very informative and I've used a lot of them. He is such a cool guy that he might even throw in one of his CDs on the deal.

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 6:44 am    

Karen, if you are near the Pioneer Valley, you might get a few lessons with Doug Baumier.

DVDs are great . . . but there is nothing like a person-to-person encounter over a couple of steels! Dougie has been teaching for years, too.

Chris
Jerry Bull

Republic, MO, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 10:15 am    

Get exposed to everything you can about the pedal steel. One thing that helped me is printing out some tablature for the intros and breaks on some of your favorite songs and dive in. One great thing about the people involved with this great instrument is, if you can't find it tabbed out somewhere, just post your request on the forum and someone will tab it out for you. Also learn some scales. Just so it doesn't get to confusing, just learn some scales on strings ie. 3&5 or 3&4 or 5&6 etc., so long as it's just 2 strings. Just learn it well enough to do it in your sleep, then you can add another string group. I know I'm probably loading you up with too much info, but everything you do just builds you up for the next level of learning. The first time I was able to play along with a CD, it sent chills up my arm, wow, it just did again thinking about it. Everytime I sit down at my guitar, I'm like a kid in a candy store, whether I'm practicing at home or playing out somewhere. Just a word of encouragement, I too played 6 string for many years before I started in on steel, and from the time I first fit my fingers for picks until I played my first gig, was 8 mos. Now I was definately not Paul Franklin material. And I did mess up, but everytime got easier, and after that first gig I never turned back, and now after almost 4 years of living and breathing this monster, I can hear something on the radio and go home and play it. Practice, Practice, Practice. As a guitar player yourself, you already know, but everyday you don't play, is one more day it's going to take to get there. And if you have something better to do than play steel guitar, you'll never be a great player. Just my very humble opinion. My poor wife has supported my love affair from the start. And at times she has had to compete, and yes I have kissed her good night with my finger picks on many times as she went on to bed, but she loves to hear me play now. At first she said it sounded like a bunch of drunk cats. I could go on, but I am obsessed with these things they call steel guitars. Maybe someday I'll write a book about it all, heck right here I've already got the first few chapters..............good luck, and PS you will love this forum, the people are 110% AWESOME !!!!!

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 10:42 am    

I agree with Robert. IMO, there is nothing like person to person, steel to steel instruction with a professional; this saves a lot of time and obviates frustration. Been there, done that with one of the best, Jay Dee, the man. IMO, this starts you on the right track with the right methods.
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 10:55 am    

I have about 7 months of lessons under my belt, and I wouldn't want to try to learn this on my own. Not that I couldn't, but the ability to come back to a real player after two weeks with questions and have bad habits addressed before they get out of hand is very valuable.

There is a lot of good material on DVD if lessons aren't possible. I'm working through some Jeffran material along with my teacher now.

A metronome is a must IMHO.
Jerry Bull

Republic, MO, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 10:59 am    

I totally agree with these guys, there is no substitution for a "live" teacher. but when I started, in my area there was no such person that I could find. So I had to do it the hard way. yuk !!

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 11:40 am    

Hi Karen,

There are a few of us new England steelers whom sometimes get together to share ideas and learn from one another. If it is something you are interested in I can email you about it.

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 11:41 am    

Brian Kurlychek wrote:
Hi Karen,

There are a few of us new England steelers whom sometimes get together to share ideas and learn from one another. If it is something you are interested in I can email you about it.

yes please email !
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 11:41 am    

come watch some of my youtube videos its geared for what youre looking for and its FREE go to this link and you will find other videos as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOv-FWZVw0

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 1:10 pm    

Prepare yourself for your new addiction Karen Smile
You should try to get some one on one lessons as soon as possible. It will save you lots of time and frustration. It will feel awkward at first but if you hang in there you're hooked!
I think Bruce Bouton's DVD "Learn to play pedal steel" has some good tips and exercises that might be helpful too.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 1:38 pm    

Winnie Winston's "Pedal Steel Guitar" (co-authored by Bill Keith) is a bit dated, but has some really fundamental stuff and is rightly regarded as a classic. If you can find a copy, well worth adding to your steel guitar resource library.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 7:55 pm    

If you get the chance to go hear a band that has a steel in it, go listen to them. You also learn a lot by watching the player and work on your style. It's good to do the tab and practice every chance you get but goin out and listening to other players (recorded and live ) helped me out immensely. But most important don't be afraid to ask questions about how it's done.I've been at it for 30 years and I still ask if I'm not sure. That's the only way one's ever going to learn this beautiful instrument,we call the steel guitar.
Tommy
Tamara James

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 4:27 am    

Ned McIntosh wrote:
Winnie Winston's "Pedal Steel Guitar" (co-authored by Bill Keith) is a bit dated, but has some really fundamental stuff and is rightly regarded as a classic. If you can find a copy, well worth adding to your steel guitar resource library.

Get it right here from bOb:
http://pedalsteelmusic.com/instruction.html
Very Happy
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:18 am    

karen
heres a link to my you tube there is lots more there you can check out good for learning scales Joe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nElaZFHrtfU

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:34 am     Girls just want to have fun

Hey girl! Go to youtube and search for Singlpilot.
Mickey Adams has a bunch of great lessons on there.
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 9:36 am    

well one should add there is lots more instruction at you tube not just me and Mick. a great place to visit.

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 11:50 am     Re: Girls just want to have fun

Jaclyn Jones wrote:
Hey girl! Go to youtube and search for Singlpilot.
Mickey Adams has a bunch of great lessons on there.

nice! another female on the forum !!
Larry Custer

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 6:45 pm     Beginning steel

You might want to check out Jeff Newman's Up From the Top course.I think it will help you alot.You can go to his website,then call Fran to get it.it is worth the money.
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 7:35 pm    

Here are some ideas:

Winnie Winston's book and the Bruce Bouton DVD are certainly must haves.

Jeff Newman's Up From The Top is great. Tons of great Jeff Newman stuff.

The Johnie Helms pedal steel book from Hal Leonard and the Anyone Can Play E9 Pedal Steel Guitar DVD from Mel Bay are pretty good too.

Of course, don't forget all the great Mickey Adams stuff on youtube...he's working on a book & it will soon be published.

Greg Cutshaw here on the forum posts a ton of tab with audio files too!!! Alot of it is complex, but you certainly will understand how some of those great licks are accomplished. It's totally free stuff & Greg is a temendous picker!!!

Casey
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:39 pm    

Did anyone ask Karen what style of music she plays?

Granted the "normal" answer is country - but there are more and more classic rock folks, country-rock players and Sacred-Steel fans getting into the instrument. All the resources are valid for country playing, but ti you want a well-rounded lesson series you need an open-minded teacher (I don't know any) and none of the usually-recommended books/DVD's will really fit the bill. I've been through that experience.

So while I'm 90% sure the recommendations were valid, it just *might* behoove experienced players to ask about a player's style before making recommendations.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:46 pm    

OK. Karen, what style(s) of music are you interested in learning on steel?
Alan Copenhaver

Superior, WI, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 3:46 am     Beginning on a GFI

Hi Karen,

I purchased a GFI d-10 from Bobbe two weeks ago. (I too am a long time guitar player just beginning Pedal steel.) Bobbe is the greatest. He and his staff have been most helpful. I am now addicted to this guitar as I learn my way around. Bobbe's instructional materials are a great help. Good Luck!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Patricia Warnock

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 11:59 am    

Hi, Karen. I'm a beginner myself and put together an E9th Chord Chart. If you are interested I'd be happy to email it to you. You can get an idea of what it's about at my forum post at:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=147199

I'm also working with Mickey Adams on a brand new beginner's course -- it's almost done. You can check out Mickey's free youtube instruction videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/singlpilot?blend=1&ob=4

Mickey is also on the forum. If you are interested in his course send him a pm or email and he will add you to the initial distribution list.

All the best! Patricia
Patricia Warnock

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 11:59 am    

and Good luck!