| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Coming home in August 2009
Kenny Burford

Independence, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2009 3:34 am    

I am going to be home in August 2009 and would like to try and put a five piece country band together to play in the west/central Missouri area a couple of weekends a month. Traditional country, but there's some new stuff on the radio I'd like to be playing. Need a bass player and drummer and prefer folks that are willing to sing.
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 2:36 am    

I am being to get a complex, isn’t there anyone out there willing to play in a band with me? Honest I’ll pay you at the end of the gig and further I promise to stay sober and drug free the entire duration of the gig. In return I just want to play music with players that really want to play good music is that too hard to find or ask?
Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2009 8:46 pm     i thought it said mississippi......

and i was calling all the nitespots in lexington,
mississippi and tellin' them that kenny & me was bringin' a 7 piece country band, 2 weekends a month.....
that's when i woke up.......
it's all juke joints in lexington, mississippi.
when you say steel guitars in there it has a whole 'nuther meaning!
steal guitars and anything else, while your at it!
country.......
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 6:08 am    

Well I am not sure where Lexington, Mississippi is but it might be where I have to go to find a pickin' job when I get back the states. I am down to my last 79 days here in Iraq and looking forward to getting back on my steel and making up for lost time.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2009 12:58 pm    

Kenny Burford wrote:
I am being to get a complex, isn’t there anyone out there willing to play in a band with me? Honest I’ll pay you at the end of the gig and further I promise to stay sober and drug free the entire duration of the gig. In return I just want to play music with players that really want to play good music is that too hard to find or ask?

Is it mandatory that the rest of the band remain sober and drug free?
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 2:45 am    

Rick that's a fair question and one I hadn't really thought about. I'll just say this, nobody I work with here in Iraq has to get drunk or stoned to do their work and I am betting it's just a little more stressful here than a weekend gig, so with that in mind I'll say Yes, "it's mandatory that the rest of the band remain sober and drug free." I am sure it's a struggle for some, but so be it.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 8:05 am    

Kenny, It was a joke. I'm sure the stress level there has got to be pegging the needle. Good luck in putting your band together and doing the gigs. Smile Smile Smile
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2009 6:05 am    

Rick, I'm wasn't gigging you personally and you posted a fair question, one that I actually hadn't thought about and should consider. The truth of the matter is, I don't mind if a guy has a few drinks just as long as he can do the gig. As for drugs, I'd rather not deal with an individual that elects to use drugs there just too many down sides for me personally. I am within 6 years of retirement and I cannot see blowing my retirement over someone else's drug problem. But with all of that said, I am looking forward to coming back in July and playing some country music and just hoping I can get a decent group of folks together that want to play a couple times a month. I wish Frank Warmbroat (sp?) would consider playing bass (hint, hint!), even though I know he lives a long ways away from where I do.
Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2009 4:13 pm    

Hey Kenny, looking forward to your return! I know what you mean about recruiting Frank; just played a little backup for him last night; he does some great tunes. A lot of people would like to recruit him -- you may have to take a number! Very Happy Very Happy
Give me a shout when you get back.
Dan
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 3:14 am    

Dan, Frank has more talent and less ego than almost anyone I know in the business and one heck of a great guy to boot. As for coming home I'm ready. I plan on hitting the tarmac for the C-130 out of here at a dead run when I get the word to leave. That doesn't mean I wouldn't come back and do it again, it's just that I'm ready for a break. I'll see you when I get home and next time you see Frank tell him I said hello.
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 7:04 am    

Kenny, one of my sons is in Balad working a civilian job. He's coming home in august also. Don't know where you're at over there but if you're in Balad, maybe you can look him up. His name is Ryan Qualls and he trains Marines and Army how to install video in the vehicles. Ray
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2009 10:02 am    

Ray, I am not near Balad and don't have any construction projects in that area. Hope all goes well for your son, there's a pretty darn good bunch of folks here soldiers and civilians both. I am scheduled to be home in July and looking forward seeing everyone and getting back on my steel for a while.
Pat Irvin

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2009 8:13 pm    

Kenny,

Glad to hear you're doing well, and really glad to hear you'll be coming back soon. Let me know when you get your outfit together where abouts you'll be playin, I'd love to come here you play some more. And if you are ever in a pinch and need a just below average bass player let me know. I'm wanting to fill in on bass with anyone who'd have me as long as I don't have to play any Rascal Flatts or classic rock ; )

Tater
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2009 2:17 am    

Patrick, I'll catch out somewhere when I get home with my guitar in hand.
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2009 3:42 pm    

Kenny,
We miss you at our steel jams and always think of you and the rest of the troops serving our country. Me and the guys are looking forward to seeing you again!
Kenny Burford

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2009 5:08 am    

Patrick, I can appreciate how you feel about the US Military, personally I cannot say enough good things about the troops here in Iraq. They treat an old man like me just pretty darned good. They are all polite, gentlemen and ladies each and every one. They are courteous, pleasant to speak with and motivated. Without a doubt I could not perform my duties for the US Army Corps of Engineers here in Iraq if it wasn't for the troops protecting us night and day. Plus, we have troops from several different nations, from all around the world working with our armed forces here in Iraq and I owe a lot to them too. Bottom line is, I am darned lucky to be surrounded by such a great bunch of military folks and I am enjoying every minute of my time here. But with all of that said I’d also be a liar if I didn’t admit that I miss my wife and family, so I am looking forward to coming home in July.