| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger/Brain freeze?
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 1:20 am    

I've noticed recently that I get nervous during solos. When I played at steel shows more regularly it didn't bother me but now it even gets to me during regular performances. I can play about anything while in the background but going out front isn't as easy anymore. Jimmy Crawford expressed the same feelings to me and I know of at least one other major player who felt it.
How do I fix it. I'm currently in a band with Van Manakas on lead and Gary Oleyar on fiddle. The rest of the band is every bit as accomplished as they are.
With the exception of me.
Is this a mind over matter thing or maybe just old age?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 4:05 am    

Well, there is a pharmaceutical solution (beta blockers) used by many actors for stage-fright, but I hesitate to recommend it, at least not until you've tried something more natural such as meditation.
Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 4:53 am     Sounds Stupid but it Works

I have found a remedy that works for me. Now this can't be used all the time, but if I'm playing in front of a group and I get real nervious I will purposely make a mistake, I mean a bad one and ask them if they have ever heard that song Laughing They usually laugh, then I'll say ok, let's try one you might know. I'm going to mess up, why not start at the front have a laugh and unwind and get all of it done on the front end.

Hope this helps,
Mr. Green Dan Mr. Green
Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 5:21 am    

Think of everyone in the audience as being naked.That will change your frame of mind.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 6:05 am    

I don't know if I can follow all of the good advice
that I was given. Jim I usually try to get to the show very early sit quietly and pick until show time. (we play at a dinner theater and we do 60-70 songs or segments of songs pretty much rapid fire)
Dan, because we do a show on a big stage with an audience of 400-500 people I can't verbally communicate with the crowd.
Bob the audience is 99 o/o senior citizens and we start at 1:00pm. I don't want to think about a roomful of naked 80 year olds right after lunch.
I do appreciate the help. Thank you all.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 9:46 am    

I know one thing, Ben - you couldn't be working with a kinder and more gentle soul than my friend, Van Manakas. I had some similar issues - unexpected attacks of nerves - when I first came to play in the USA. Fortunately for me, I had Van playing guitar at my right shoulder. He would put me at my ease and, as a result, I found myself playing a lot better!

Please send him my kindest regards; I haven't seen him in far too long. Does he live in NJ now? Maybe you could get an email address for me.

Good luck.
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 11:17 am    

In truth, very few people in the audience are aware that a mistake has been made by one of the musicians. Normally, it is one of the fellow band members who will me aware of it. Usually, and I mean usually, your fellow band members will play right through it.

It's only when you point out the goof up yourself that will bring attention to it. It other words, don't flinch a muscle when you drop a lemon or two. Just keep on playing as though that was part of the song.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 1:03 pm    

Maybe this is not revelent, But, In my real active playing days with a band, If the rythem section was really in sinc and driving the band I could play much more creativly and usually not make mistakes. If the Rythem section was just playing along and you were trying to get a good beat out of them I was more prone to mistakes and less creativity. Also, the better the other musicians in the band the better I could play.
Jack Dougherty

Spring Hill, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 1:26 pm    

Ben..

Tell Van I said hello..
Take a couple of deep breaths and don't
let your fingers get ahead of your brain.
Van is a great player and a good resource.
So while your pickin', pick his brain. Very Happy

jd
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 1:29 pm    

Les I realize that the crowd doesn't hear mistakes unless they're blatant but I do and it makes me lose my confidence. We're doing OBS in this show and I know I used to play it better in years past.
Billy the band is GREAT. The band leader is the keyboard player and he is amazing. He wrote all the arrangements. Van and Gary are among the best and the bass player and drummer are real pro's. I'd just like to know what's wrong? Why can't I play as well as I used to? Is it physical or mental?
I appreciate all the responses. Thanks
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 1:43 pm    

Ben,
I think your problem is both- physical and mental, and they're both compouding each other. All you need is one little blooper and your off to a wreck. Try to enjoy the music, that, you're playing more and not about the pressure. I heard you play at out last PSGA show and you certainly have technique and finesse and can certainly master the instrument. I believe it's really mind over matter. You're worrying too much about making a mistake. You're beyond that, by now. Don't try to concentrate so hard. It has nothing to do with your abilities.

BTW- I get the jitters at every steel show I play,
so, I know what I'm talking about.
Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 2:28 pm    

It's a funny thing about the human body. Whenever I get nervous the extremities (the hands and feet) want to act up first.
I remember this very well when I first started playing out professionally on other stringed instruments long ago. Whenever I was feeling a bit nervous, my hands felt like they wanted to go somewhere other than where I wanted them to go. This feeling usually passed after the first few tunes. Eventually, it passed completely.
Now that I've begun to pick up pedal steel, I have no doubt that I'll be going through the same thing as you, Ben. How to fix it? Hopefully, keep on pickin' through it until it passes. Of course I wouldn't expect it to pass as fast as on guitar or bass since pedal steel uses both hands AND feet AND knees. There's some very good advise on this thread...thanks!

Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2009 6:32 pm    

I've just begun to play in public after 3 years on the instrument.My hands do fine;I just can't seem to remember most of my licks and fills when I play.It gets easier each time,thankfully.It was the same on other instruments.I just lack confidence at this point and I know it will come with time.Mistakes don't bother me because I know that they will be made.The way I look at it,if anyone in the crowd can do better,jump into the seat and do it.

Andy
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 3:19 pm    

I have had what is known as performance anxiety, I would nail the fills, but when it came for me to do my part, I would like hold my breath and my face would turn red while I was playing. But a friend told me to relax a bit before I would do my part in the song. I would control my breathing. It's just like shooting a handgun, when you take a breath in between firng the next round you will do better.

Tommy Shown
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 3:43 pm    

Tommy Shown wrote:
It's just like shooting a handgun, when you take a breath in between firng the next round you will do better.

Finally, some good practical advice that we all can relate to. It will get easier after making a modicum of mayhem.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 4:05 pm    

I have a version of that which I've just experienced. I call it red-button-itis. I've just spent most of the afternoon trying to record a fairly simple version of Blue Hawaii. I can play it without problem when I'm practising, but the moment I press that red "record" button and run back to the steel to play I start fumbling. Simple things, like hitting the wrong string with your fingerpick, or playing some notes louder than the others. It's like a mental block, which says, "You've got to get this right, because any mistakes will show up on the recording, and who knows who will be listening to the finished product." The pressure forces you to make errors. I just did about 60 takes and failed to get all the way through the number without making an error. I've given up for a while. Yes, it's much easier to play in the background than to play the tune. The background is improvised, whereas you don't have much leeway in the tune, as everyone knows it. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 6:03 pm    

Ben,
There may be other factors involved. Not quite happy with the amp controls both tone and volume. Playing too soon after carting that heavy stuff in and fingers don't want to work right.
If your uncomfortable at all it can really make a big difference.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 6:16 pm    

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 15 Mar 2009 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 7:43 pm    

Roger, Van said hello. I sent you his Email, let me know if you got it. He wants to hear from you.
Jack I'll tell him you said hello. I'll see him tomorrow.
To everyone who responded to this post Thank you. Today was a little better. I did the deep breathing thing and it helped.
Raoul my equipment stays at the theater almost every day unless there is a rehearsal. Thats since the middle of January so it's only been moved twice.
We have 26 shows in 25 days this month. Today was a double. The sound is good but a new issue started today. My B to Bb push up is loose and hanging down too far so I have to go in early and fix it. Oh well at least I'm getting paid for all this.
Thanks again guys.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2009 11:52 pm    

Here we go again, I was saying that it helped me be more relaxed and I have incorparated that into my playing. NO MAYHEM! Tommy
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 1:10 am    

How about a glass of wine or a beer? Smile
JJ
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 1:22 am    

Thanks, Ben. I haven't got an email yet, though; can you try again?

Best...
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 7:07 am    

Years ago, my right foot used to just go crazy... twitching and causing the Volpedal pump. I would take my foot off the pedal when it happened.
It was just nerves. That went away a long time ago.
I don't think about the audience now, even when other steel players are in the room.

I also like to have an adult beverage instead of a beta blocker to aid the creative connection between the hands and the brain.

I have no idea what would happen if one of my steel guitar idols walked in.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 9:40 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
...the moment I press that red "record" button and run back to the steel to play I start fumbling...Embarassed

I took a break, went back to it, and got it right first time. Brain freeze seems to be psychological thing. Surprised
Marke Burgstahler

SF Bay Area, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2009 10:11 am    

I've gotten pretty comfortable with playing guitar on big stages or in front of lotsa people - but now that I've started playing steel as well, all the same ol' fears n' stuff came back. I feel like everyone's watching me - "hah hah..let's see if Marke can really play this thing"....I've become a little more relaxed by going over my solos and fills until I can do them in my sleep, then I have a little pep talk with myself before I go onstage..."OK..nobody wants to see you fail...give yourself a freekin break"...that type of thing. I think most of the players that come to my gigs are NOT steel players, so I don't feel the pressure as much.

Now if one the hot pickers in N. CA shows up, I'm gonna freeze up, I'm sure...