| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stereo Steel system
Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 7:43 pm    

I am looking for a rack type system such as the stereo steel or similar system. Speakers and all. Fred Rushing
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 12:22 pm    

Might suggest you try to go with the Wallace System, Fred. I love mine, wish I'd gotten it years ago.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 2:26 pm    

Mark I visited your website but found nothing on a wallace system. Where did I go wrong? Fred
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 7:30 pm    

I think he might have meant the walker system for stereo steel- Gerry Walker. - Try this--- http://www.stereosteel.com/index.html
------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - 1975 Session 400 - Nashville 1000 - Nashville 112

[This message was edited by rpetersen on 27 May 2005 at 08:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by rpetersen on 27 May 2005 at 08:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by rpetersen on 27 May 2005 at 08:33 PM.]

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 7:54 pm    

That's right, Fred, sorry for any confusion. My site has pics of my most recent setup, with various pedal effects feeding into Peavey Nashville 1-12 and 1000 amps. Before that I used a Peavey transtubefex into Mosvalve power amp. I was pretty happy with the volume/tone/effects from both setups, but I am thrilled with the tone and performance of my Walker Stereo Steel setup. I use the combined preamp/amp unit with the Walker designed ported closed back cabinets with Peavey BW 15" speakers, and a TC electronics effects unit. The tonal centers on the controls, effects implementation, cabinet design are all first rate, and most importantly the rig sounds better than anything else I've ever played through. Light weight too! I really wish I'd gotten one of these sooner. Pics will be on my site soon!
J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2005 8:44 pm    

Mark,

Can you tell us more about what's great about this system? What's special about the Pre-amp system compared to other Pre-amps? How come they don't post the prices on their site? Thanks

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 5:06 am    

how much do they cost anyway or about how much? thanks
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2005 9:29 am    

There's a good amount of info on the Walker site http://www.stereosteel.com/personal.htm
Contact them for pricing.

I have to admit, I like just about everything about this amp. Extremely well thought out, and appears fine-tuned to allow just the features and adjustments steelers need.
First off, it's light- the whole pre-amp/amp combo weighs 13 pounds.
The tone controls are wide ranging, yet the center or "0" position sounds near perfect on all of them, so you're left with very usable range.
There is a semi-parametric midrange control, like on Peavey amps, and ANOTHER switch-selectable paramid control, which you can preset for a different tone and switch in and out.
There's also a "warmth" control, separate from the bass, which is very effective and useful. Usually just a touch to that one and the presence knob is all I need to tweek from room to room on stage.
The volume knob is large, easy to grab, and man, this thing will get waylouder than I ever need, even outside at a big venue.
The unit I have has two separate knobs for the effects return (in stereo) but the newer units have just one large knob, which is a good improvement (for adjusting effects balance on the fly).
The amp really shines with the addition of a separate stereo effects unit in the loop- since it's set up that way you can choose what you prefer, and change the character of your sound to some degree. Gerry is currently recommending the TC electronics M-one, although it shows Digitech Quad 4 on the website. I'm using a TC M-300 with good results.
There is a separate stereo aux input with front panel level control- many folks use another guitar processor into that for a multiple instrument rig with the one system, if you use it for practicing with a CD player, it blends you right into the music through the speakers, and sounds very, very good. I must say this makes practice time more pleasant.
There's also a robust headphone amp with front panel jack and control, which sounds a bit thinner to me than the speakers, but also very good for silent tuning or practice. Super handy when you want to warm up at a venue and not clash with Achy Breaky Big & Rich from the DJ...
The CD in and headphone jacks are also present on units like the Peavey Transtubefex, but they're on the back of the unit- having front-panel jacks and knobs is pure genius and reflects how we need to use these things. (There's also more room for that stuff on the two-rack-space size chassis of the stereo steel).
There are stereo outputs with XLR connectors, which I have yet to use on stage- I've been very happy with the sound of the cabinets miced up. Speaking of which, this is designed as a system, and it does sound better with the closed-back, ported cabinets G.D. designed. They are also super small and lightweight.
Hope this answers some questions- I really wish I'd gotten one years ago. I have gotten more compliments on my tone since I started using this.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com