| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3 String Licks
George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 8:07 am    

Any one have any really cool 3 string licks?

Please post them if you got them.

Thanks

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 7:45 am     ???

Have an example?
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 10:25 am    

George: Like Dick, I'm a little unclear on what you are looking for. Having said that, Dick's many great tab postings are full of three string licks that you might consider "cool".

By "licks" do you mean fast single note runs? Does "cool" mean something other than major scale tones, i.e., bluesy or tension building, like whole tone or diminished or augmented?

I would suggest that you might start by working with strings 5, 6 & 7 of the E9th tuning and explore what can be done working up and down the neck on those strings. Experiment with bringing in the B pedal. That's essentially what's being used on the old Hall Rugg, Meldon Myrick speed pickin course. If you have the knee lever that raises the 7th string a half tone, it can be used at certain places. You can also experiment with using the knee lever that lowers the 5th string a half tone.

Once you have a handle on those three strings, you can start expanding beyond those three strings, and start runs from the 8th, or 9th string and work up into the three string patterns that you have learned. Then reverse the lick and work down.

On each string figure out where the tonic, the third and the fifth are, and then see what you can build from each of these starting points. By trial and error you can determine what pathways can be taken to get to a suitable resolution point. Then once you have a lick that kind-of sounds "cool" try substituting a flatted third interval in place of the major third interval. Then do the same for the sevenths. Then try whole tone, diminished, augmented scale notes.

I hope this is helpful. The "coolest" licks are the ones you discover on your own. All you really need to know is where to look. If you know the patterns the licks should just start to flow out (at least on your better nights). Paul