| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Texas Forumites,can You help?
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2009 1:53 pm    

Hello everyone,
Myself and Ann will be coming to the TSGA show in March(our fifth visit)after the show We want to rent a car and go to Austin/San Antone area for about 8 or 9 Days.
I would appreciate any advice on reasonable Motels in good locations for music venues.Places to visit and any relevant info.
what is a good car rental company near the Sheraton in Irving?
Best regards
Billy
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 1:15 am    

Whilst there have been no posts here,I have had several PM's which have been very helpful and informative,Thanks Guys.
I am in the process of answering them.
Billy
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 12:24 pm    

The Driskill Hotel in Austin is real nice. Also, try some of the Bed and Breakfasts in the area, which are better deals than hotels...In Austin, my wife and I stayed at the Star of Texas Inn Bed and Breakfast. I recommend it.

Brandon

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 1:59 pm    

I would think the Driskill is pretty expensive--old and fancy, downtown, right on sixth street...the last gig I played there I saw an Aston-Martin waiting for the valet to park it.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 2:13 pm    

"I saw an Aston-Martin waiting for the valet"

That was Billy's rental car !! Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 6:58 pm    

By the way, Billy, the South by Southwest film and music festival is also in Austin mid-March, so don't wait too long to book your lodging. The week of the music festival there will be over 1,000 bands playing, some locals but many others from all over the world. Motel rooms will be scarce.

Here's a link with the festival dates

http://sxsw.com/
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2009 8:51 pm    

When in Austin be sure to tour the Capitol Building. Worth every minute. (Did you know it is bigger than the one in DC?)

If new to San Antonio, you must visit the Alamo. Then there is the "Riverwalk" Lots of restaurants and fun things to do.

For grins, check out Floores hardware/lumber/bbq and dance hall.
In Heloites, Texas. A slice of the real deal in Texas. They book some big name acts, Willie might show up, and the local talent is amazing.

R2
Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 4:40 am    

Billy,

All the major US car rental companies (Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc.) are co-located in one large facility on the DFW airport grounds near the south entrance. (The Sheraton is just east of the north entrance.)

You can use a travel site such as Expedia, Travelocity, or Orbitz to compare rates and make a reservation online. After you arrive at DFW, just catch a shuttle bus to the car rental facility to pick up the car and sign your paperwork. Then it's only about a five-minute drive to the Sheraton.
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 5:00 am    

Thanks Jeff,
I would prefer to rent a car on the last day of the show at the Sheraton.We arrive on Wed March 11 and it seems a bit extravagant having a rented vehicle sitting in the car park for 4 days.
I would probably get the shuttle bus to the airport if renting from there.
There is a car rental place very near the Sheraton but I can't remember the name.Anyone know them?
Entrprise do a pick up and their rates look pretty good.
Thans everyone for Your help
Billy
Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 5:20 am    

Quote:
There is a car rental place very near the Sheraton but I can't remember the name.

Capps. It's just west of the Sheraton on the access road.
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 5:24 am    

Thanks Jeff,
I have just been looking at google maps and I saw a "Thrifty car rental"next to the Sheraton.Their online prices are quite high.
I recall one of our friends renting from Capps a couple of times. That is the name I was looking for.
See You at the show.
Billy
Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 1:54 pm    

In Austin, any hotel that says it is on "town lake" or "lady bird lake" (the same thing) will put you right in downtown Austin. (But will also be pretty expensive.) There are also cheaper motels all up and down I-35. Just be sure to stay relatively close to the river (the center of town). If you are able to be in Austin on a Sunday night, go to the Mean-Eyed Cat. Lucas Hudgins is there most Sundays, and Dave Biller will blow you away on steel.
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 9:48 am    

"Value Place" is a new chain opened last year in Austin.weekly rates about $200,you'll have your own kitchen,bathroom and you can do your laundry for 1 buck.The one in Round Rock,just north of Austin might be somewhat cheaper than the one in Austin.In Dallas the motel 6( # 1274),at 7800 Heathrow Dr,Irving 75063 (phone 972 915 3993 ) is close to the Dallas show,and to the DFW airport.It's right in the middle between Dallas and Fort Worth.It's one of those modern,motels....have fun!!
Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 7:01 pm    

South Austin

Here's a nice locally owned hotel on South Congress I often recommend across from the Continental Club and in a cool part of town plus close to some great music venues: (book quickly)
http://www.austinmotel.com/home.html
Here's the place to eat TexMex:
http://www.tacoxpress.com/
The Catfish at the Manchaca Fire Hall and Community Center is great in deep south Austin:
http://manchaca101.tripod.com/
Here is the only guitar shop in town with steel guitar inventory:
http://www.southaustinmusic.com/
Tell owner Bill Welker I sent you;-) I've known him forever.

Hope this helps! You can always email me or give me a call if you get stuck:-) Phone number is on the website. www.tribotone.com

Eric Ebner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 4:46 am    

Billy,
Wouldn't rule out staying north of Austin in Round Rock. It will be less expensive and getting to downtown is easy. IH 35 takes you right down town. There is parking on 5th street and 7th street. Other thing to think about is, a bunch of live music clubs are located elsewhere than 6th street, so you might want to drive anyway.

Just my two cents, I live just north of Austin

If you haven't been to Austin check out the Broken Spoke http://www.brokenspokeaustintx.com/calendar.htm as previsously stated the Continantal Club is great. Redd plays there a bunch.

Have a good time.

Mack

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 8:19 am    

Billy, just remember NOT to stay at any hotel on Rundberg Road. The room rates are per half-hour, if you know what I mean.
Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 6:56 pm    

One other note Arrow March 13-22 is South by South West in Austin (music runs 18th-22nd). All living quarters will book early and sell out fast. http://sxsw.com/ Again... if you get 'stuck' just call.

Eric