| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fingers burns
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 2:33 am    

I just burned my fingers with hot oil, it looks pretty bad, second and third finger on my right hand just where my picks fit, anyone got any idea how to treat
them...
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 3:28 am    

Cooking in restaurants for years, we used to soak the burnt fingers in a bowl of vinegar right after the burn took place. That seemed to work--prevent blistering etc. Don't know if it'll work this far after the burn took place, but it can't hurt to try.
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 8:33 am    

As an ex-welding contractor, many of our employees had some very bad burns. We always had a plentiful supply of baking soda and cool water on the jobs and/or in our medical kits. The baking soda stops the blistering for some unknown reason and stops the pain almost instantly. The baking soda compresses should be kept damp at all times.

Typically however, the wet baking soda needs to be applied almost immediately after the burn happens for it to stop the blistering.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 9:57 am    

Thanks guys, the oil was so hot that it took the skin off, I have got some ointment from an Indian doctor here in Goa, it stopped the pain but the damage looks bad. I was seasoning a wok at the time and as I spread the oil around the wok some splashed up and landed on the fingers, well no cooking for me for a while or playing, so not all bad news...thanks again