| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George Strait's Steel Player
Katie Smith

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 7:19 pm    

Who's playing on TROUBADOR? Just about my favorite George song! Thanks~~~~ Smile
Robbie Crabtree

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 8:56 pm    

Mike Daly is his Steel player, Paul Franklin usually Plays all of his studio stuff.
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 9:18 pm    

Definitely Paul Franklin on the studio cut...Mike Daily has been with him since before George joined the Ace in the Hole Band in San Marcos, TX around 1975...Smile

Brandon

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2009 11:41 pm    

Katie, the Ace in The Hole Band had been playin' shows before George joined the group, and since that time, they've been George's road band. Mike is from San Marcos, Texas, and in the eighties, he played an Emmons steel, but in 1997, 1998, and 1999 to now, Mike's been playing a Zumsteel. Paul Franklin is definitely on a lot of George's albums, but on the Pure Country soundtrack, Buddy Emmons was on steel. Mike played on George's "Live From The Astrodome" cd and DVD.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 7:08 am    

To hear George tell it , he is the Ace In The Hole Bands singer.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 6:06 pm    

Bo your right, I was at Jeff Newmans school in 82 with Mike Daily and he told me they had an audition for a new singer for the band --- and George got the job !

How cool is that !!!!!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 6:47 pm    

Mike Daily is originally form Houston and graduated high school with a friend of mine. I have a video of GS on Austin City Limits, and there are some great shots of Mike, looks like he is playing an early Emmons..it had the decal logo...

Brandon

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 9:03 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
Bo your right, I was at Jeff Newmans school in 82 with Mike Daily and he told me they had an audition for a new singer for the band --- and George got the job !

How cool is that !!!!!

Paddy,
What's really cool it that GS is still "dancing with the band that 'brung' him". That's a mighty big man if you ask me.

Jim in Missouri

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 9:06 pm    

Why is Mike not a Forum member, Just wondering ?
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 9:38 pm    

I think Mike posted on the forum a few times, but it's been awhile.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Robbie Crabtree

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 9:55 pm    

Thanks Brett, I was just curious why he would not be on this great forum, I was also curious if Paul gives him the tab for what he does in the studio. ?
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 10:11 pm    

I would think PF would at least give him some hints... Very Happy
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 11:06 pm    

Hey Jim .. yeah mate that is really cool - I don't think there would be too many changes in that band either ! I really enjoyed the DVD of their concert at the Houston Astrodome -- GS really does feature the band a lot which is great.

Robbie - I think you will find that Mike is a more than good enough player to figure out Paul's licks Very Happy - perhaps he can then show all of us !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2009 11:19 pm    

George Strait is a man that I can sit and listen to all day long. I have seen him in concert before and it's like you are the only one in the audience he's singing to. My wife on the other hand thinks he's a
dream. And Mike is a great player on the steel too.
My favorite song of George's is "Cowboy Rides away"
Tommy Shown
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2009 3:32 pm    

That is a question I have wondered about for a long time. When the studio musician cuts a unique solo or kickoff on a record, does he assist the road player in copying those licks on the road? Or are those road players able to figure them out on their own?
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2009 3:42 pm    

It's unreasonable to ask a session player how he did a solo. The session would have been months earlier, or more, and a lot more sessions would have clouded the memory of a busy player.

I'm not that busy, and I often have problems recalling what I recorded a year ago. I've gotten calls to play at someone's CD release party, and had to sit down with a recording I did and figure out what I played.

I can only imagine how a full time busy session player's memory would be clouded.
Leri Schiller

Belton, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2009 3:58 pm    

Very Happy

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2009 6:53 am    

I thought I heard once that the road band guys were usually provided with 'special' mixes where the steel, guitar or whatever was mixed prominently for easier picking out of the parts. Maybe not...
Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:27 pm    

I was lucky enough to be invited to the last show GS did at the Honda Center in Anaheim, just down the street from my pool hall.

I was sitting about 8 rows from the stage and I couldn't hear a single lick from the band. My friend Rick Mcrae was playing guitar and is always fantastic, and with Mike Daley playing steel I was looking forward to some great music, but it was so loud and convoluted it turned out to be mostly just noise.

I looked up at the monitor and the entire neck of the steel was spread out across this 50 ft high definition screen with an 8 ft bar. It would have been great if I could have made out the notes.

On the last song the band was able to really play, oh well, just a little disappointing...
Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:28 pm    

I was lucky enough to be invited to the last show GS did at the Honda Center in Anaheim, just down the street from my pool hall.

I was sitting about 8 rows from the stage and I couldn't hear a single lick from the band. My friend Rick Mcrae was playing guitar and is always fantastic, and with Mike Daley playing steel I was looking forward to some great music, but it was so loud and convoluted it turned out to be mostly just noise.

I looked up at the monitor and the entire neck of the steel was spread out across this 50 ft high definition screen with an 8 ft bar. It would have been great if I could have made out the notes.

On the last song the band was able to really play, oh well, just a little disappointing...
Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 8:28 pm    

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 9:24 am    

Sorry, to hear that Danny.
When I heard them live, it wasn't like that.
Every show can have different circumstances. Mike is a great player! Smile
Charley Adair

Maxwell, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 11:21 am    

My understanding is that Mike is a very private guy and is also very quiet. I've met Mike and spoken to him at some local gigs that the Ace In The Hole band has done. A friend of mine also told me Mike is a surfer. But, I think there is another Mike Daly that plays steel also.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 12:58 pm    

Charley Adair wrote:
My understanding is that Mike is a very private guy and is also very quiet. I've met Mike and spoken to him at some local gigs that the Ace In The Hole band has done. A friend of mine also told me Mike is a surfer. But, I think there is another Mike Daly that plays steel also.

There is another man with the same name-he plays steel for Hank Williams Jr. The one who plays for George Strait is Mike Daily, the one who plays steel for Hank Jr. is Mike Daly.

Brett
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 2:25 pm    

There's another Mike Daily (sp?) that played on Whiskeytown records.
We've had this conversation here many times