| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webb amp - built like a tank
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2009 8:04 am    

Horror of horrors. My Webb amp was knocked of its stand on stage last week by a half drunk musician from another band. It went down with an almighty bang. I thought it would have sustained some substantial damage but it worked perfectly afterwards. Apart from 5 damaged rotary knobs there is no cosmetic impact on its appearance. These things are built like tanks.

There is now a guy running around with the imprint of my shoe on his butt. Evil or Very Mad
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2009 4:08 pm    

Absolutley deserves the shoe treatment.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2009 5:08 pm    

Bought one in the early 90's from Jim Webb at his store. It was the first one made from when he decided to start building them again. It fell of the tailgate of my truck once. It's never let me down.
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2009 5:39 pm    

I would also like to add that I had the chance to spend some time with one of Tom Bradshaw's new Webbs. Honestly, it exceeded my expectations. I liked it better than mine. I would buy one if I had the dough!!

(of course a ZB sounds good through anything!) Very Happy
Dave
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 2:09 am    

Ken,
I trembled when I read about Your amp,I know how much You love it.
I would go completely off My nut if a similar thing happened to Me.I have,on occasion given a warning dig (with foot or fist)to drunken dancers who always want to swing or lift their partners too close to me.
Hope everything is ok.
Billy
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 10:12 am    

Thanks Billy. Yes I am so attached to this amp and the sound it gives me. I once had the same thing happen with my Peavey Session 500 many years ago when a fight broke out in a bar I was playing in at Reading. That amp was never the same afterwards and had an intermittent problem until it was eventually swapped it for a Nashville 400 by Peavey UK.

I can accept that bar room brawls are part and parcel of the risk of playing in these types of establishments, but when it is another musician that is another thing completely. I was tempted to wrap my microphone stand around his neck.

I may have to speak nicely to Tom Bradshaw to see if he will sell me some replacement knobs.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 10:42 am    

howdy,i can understand your rage, cause i know its been a long haul lookin for the amp of your dreams, and now youve got put it rite at your own expence, you did well only to lose the tip of your boot up his butt im sure the urge was greater than that,wish you luck on gettin it prettied up again, lew.
pro1,s two round fronts, one square front, sho-bud, S12, LDG,1977, built by paul franklin sen, [THE PROFESSIONAL]nice all original, bandit65, nash, 400, profex 11,match-box, 7A,DD3, delay,various accoustic guitars, amps, and other necessitys,
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 11:00 am    

Quote:
Apart from 5 damaged rotary knobs there is no cosmetic impact on its appearance. These things are built like tanks.

Last time I looked at a tank they had recessed knobs. Wink

(As should all amplifiers.)
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 12:40 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Quote:
Apart from 5 damaged rotary knobs there is no cosmetic impact on its appearance. These things are built like tanks.

Last time I looked at a tank they had recessed knobs. Wink

(As should all amplifiers.)

Donny - unfortunately the Webb doesn't have a turret gun mounted on the top of it or I would have been tempted to use it. Smile

I agree - why don't all manufacturers design their amps where the knobs are tucked away more. The Nashville 112 is the worst example of vulnerable knob controls.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2009 1:07 pm    

Sorry to hear about your mishap Ken....Lord forgive me if anybody damaged my gear even accidently. Good for the boot treatment mate Winking Re amps, the Nashville 400's controls are neatly tucked away. What would it cost for that tiny extra piece of wood for the Nashville 112. When I "HAD" mine, within a couple of gigs one of the knobs was knocked completely off. Lucky I had a good supa/glue which did the trick. I'm always carefull with my gear, but just a bad design there IMHO.

Micky Byrne Essex U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Larry Scott

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 5:13 am    

Sorry to hear that Ken.

That is one of the reasons I will not use a amp stand.

I'm sure that Tom will hook you up with some KA- NOBS

Smile