| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  getting started with recording
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 6:20 pm    

Ok. I know yall have probrably been asked this before but here it goes again.

It's been 10 years since I recorded anyh music and back then use a Tascam 8 track analog cassette recorder.
I want to start recording again and it seems the best way to go in computer based. So here's the question. What software/hardware/equip would you suggest that I use. I once tried Acid software a few years ago and it seemed not to terribly complicated but I never had time to get good at it. However I am serious about starting to record now and I just want some advice. And of course I plan to make a few rythm tracks but I especially just want to make my own music.

I hear the terms protools, cakewalk, sonar, biab, adobe, and on and on and on.....

What are most of you steelers using?
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 4:00 am     Recording...

I use stand-alone recording units,since PC´s have a
history of driving me nuts what with all the drivers,
compatibility & what-not ; that is,my earlier experi-
ments using PC for recording came out a bit left-
footed,but I´ve cooled off somewhat and will have
another go at it sometime...but as is...I have a
KORG D 1600 & a FOSTEX VF 80 ; I also use reel-to-
reel,I love the tape-compression & other "organic"
qualities it brings the recordings ; rack full of
stuff from TL Audio,True Systems,dbx,Toft Audio De-
signs,Lexicon,Chrisman etc ; mikes: sE Electronics,
Oktava,Röde,Line Audio,Crowley & Tripp ; oh,and I
still love my Sony A 8 DAT-recorder.McUtsi
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 9:13 am    

http://www.tweakheadz.com

this is a good site. it has tons of information written in a language all can understand. the site explains recording, describes equipment, and addresses all levels of experience (or how deep you wish to dive).

I use a computer based recording program. I started with a USB digital interface. many come with a basic recording program inside (that can be upgraded w/o much $).

I can plug into the interface directly and record or attach a mike and record my resonator or amp with that.

recording is fun and maddening.

start simple is my best advice.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 10:58 am    

My home page has a description of the recording process I've been using up until recently. A lot or choices will be affected by your budget!

I favor using a music workstation to grab the instruments. Mine happens to be a Yamaha AW-2400 and it sits right next to my steel and can be easily operated while I am recording. I use real mics and amps for everything except the Bass (direct) and the drums. The final mixdown including added effects, compression and all levels is done at the AW-2400. No crashes, reboots, time lag, always ready to go and super fast. You can easily cut and paste, add effects and compression to any input, channel or track. The final mix usually takes my about 10 minutes.

A few days ago I downloaded Reaper, an awesome PC program for recording etc. It is very popular and if you keep using it beyond the evaluation period , the cost is $50 for non-profit recording. It took me 4 hours the first time, but I was able to port my AW-2400 files over to Reaper and get a lot smoother mix than I could ever get on the AW-2400. It is pretty easy to use if you are PC savvy. I drew volume envelopes around every track and got rid of all the peaks and transient lows on all the tracks. The final result sounds better but the AW-2400 results are good enough for most of my stuff.

Last week I sold my Boss DR-880 drum machine and bought EZDRUMMER with the Nashville add on pack. I plan on doing all my drums in Reaper with this then porting them to the AW-2400 for recording.

You could just get Reaper (free trial download is NOT handicapped), EZDRUMMER and a USB recording hub and get great results for a total cost of less than $500 if you don't use mics, amp simulators, pre-amps and all that stuff.

So many options!

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ben Strano

Nashville
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2009 12:09 pm    

Totally depends what you want to do.

I always recommend Pro Tools to anyone who is new to computer recording.

It is the most user friendly. There is other software that is cheaper and software that many will tell you has more bells and whistles.

I make my living recording and mixing... it is my passion.

I record in Pro Tools for a myriad of reasons. I mix in Digital Performer for another myriad of reasons. But if I were starting out knowing what I know I would buy a M-Box with Pro Tools software.

It is by far the closest to a tape deck and mixing console that you will find in a piece of software.

A buddy and I have a recording website and I have started doing some Pro Tools tutorials. I hope to do more but I (thank God) have been busy with work lately.

You can find them here.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 5:21 am    

Pro Tools is indeed the best and from what I have seen the easiest to use, but, it is also the most expensive.

I use Cakewalk Sonar,two versions, 7 Home Studio, very easy to use but limited to 64 tracks and minus a few major plug-ins and Sonar 8 Producer which has it all and is a bit more curious to use, but overall a good value.

Greg above mentions EZDrummer of which I use also, I believe this to be the best of all the plug-ins and way better than any that come with the standalone packages.

Keep in mind that EZDrummer is a VST Plug-in and runs under another package such as Pro-Tools or Sonar etc, it does not run on it's own merit.

I am making the transition from 16 track dedicated workstation to full blown PC recording but I will not get rid of the dedicated gear. I do find myself in the learning mode way more than the playing music mode lately. Thats not a good thing. I hope I turn the corner soon. Crying or Very sad

For a beginner, or a novice, I would start the recording process with a dedicated small 8 or 16 tracker, learn what it is you want to do, see how much time you are going to put in, learn the process first. If simple basic tracks is the goal this can be accomplished with an easy to use low cost multi-tracker. Purpose is everything.

ok, back to the HELP folder...

t
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2009 8:50 am    

I used to have a Korg D16 and have some knowledge of how to operate it,
I prefer a stand alone unit because it is simpler for me.. Compact could be hauled out to a gig.
I now have a Korg D-1600, good used about $350.00
I chose this because I have some knowledge of the operation.
Does not compress files and burns right to CD.
Makes it's own drum tracks (i used BIAB).
Lots and Lots of good effects, It has more than enough quality for demos or semi-pro recordings.
I seems to me with most of this stuff, I would research and consider the learning curve...
Like if you know someone that has (it) and can help you learn (it).... (it) can be confusing