| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Experience with Sonic Research Turbo Tuner?
Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 9:10 am    

Has anyone used this tuner on steel? The guitar forums are full of people who swear by them...there is a chromatic setting and adjustable presets:

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/st122-index.htm

Jon
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 11:17 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=135340&highlight=turbo+tuner
Bill Patton

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 2:35 pm    

I have the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner and I couldn't be happier. It's rugged, accurate, true-bypass, and very easy to read. You can program any temperament in 1/100th of a cent increments, and with one button you can toggle between temperaments, including standard chromatic tuning for guitar or whatever. It's also compact (smaller than a Boss pedal), and battery life is very long (estimated to be a year or more, if I remember correctly). I had a Peterson Strobo-Stomp which I hated - it was hard to read, flimsy, ate batteries, and eventually broke in three different ways (the display came unglued, the battery compartment broke off, and it was periodically issuing a loud low buzzing sound into the amp!) I can't think of a single bad thing to say about the Turbo Tuner. Very Happy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2009 5:15 pm    

An update to my posts on the referenced forum thread about the turbo tuner. After having it for about a year, it doesn't seem to be as accurate as my Peterson strobe o flip. I have the exact same E9th and C6th tuning temperments programmed into both of them but when I tune with the Peterson my steel sounds in tune. When I tune with the turbo tuner some strings just don't sound in tune. If I compare some strings there are small variances between them and probably what I'm hearing.

But, with my Telecaster I can tune with either and it's in tune.