| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Sacred Steel CD
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2001 8:07 am    

Arhoolie CD 489, "Train Don't Leave Me," has arrived. The album was recorded live on 16-track digital at the First Annual Sacred Steel Convention in Winter Park, FL March 31-April 1, 2000.

The 14 cuts feature 10 steel guitarists, 5 of whom--Dante Harmon, Josh Taylor, Lonnie "Big Ben" Bennett, Elton Noble and Roosevelt Collier--were previously unrecorded. Also included are stellar performances by Calvin Cooke, Ted Beard, Robert Randolph, The Campbell Bros. and Aubrey Ghent. In all 76 minutes of amazing music. There is a 24-page booklet chock full of photos, all of which are full-page or larger.

As producer of the Sacred Steel series, it's impossible for me to be objective, but this could be my favorite album. Engineer Buddy Ray absolutely nailed the sound and the abundance of new talent has astounded us all. A year after the event people are still shaking their heads saying, "Man, where did these guys come from?"

The official release date is April 10, but--you knew this was coming, right?--I'm selling 'em right now for $15 postpaid in the US. Foreign orders please inquire.
Send check or M.O. to:

Bob Stone
3826 SW 2nd Avenue
Gainesville, FL 32607
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 7:13 am    

Bump!
Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 9:47 pm    

I received a copy of this CD a few days ago, and it COOKS! It is the most exciting playing I've heard in years.
I met Chuck Campbell back in 1988 when he visited me in Philly, and I was blown away by his technique and ideas. I asked others if they ever heard of thiss stuff, and all I got was blank stares.
Well... now it's out and no secret any more.
it ain't three pedal country... it ain't jazz... it ain't western swing... it ain't Hawaiian.
What it *IS* is the most amzing, soulful, and funky stuff you can imagine.
The 2nd Sacred Steel Convention just happened two weeks ago.
I'm saving my money to fly over for the 3rd annual next year. I've HEARD it-- now I want to SEE it and FEEL it.
Amazing music.
A full review (by me) will be in an upcoming PSGA Newsletter.

Winnie
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2001 5:46 am    

We look forward to seeing you at the next convention, Winnie. Believe me, hearing this music is only a fraction of the total experience. These folks move when they play and there is a lot of audience participation in the form of dancing, shouting, amens, etc. The crowd (including Forumites Dan Tyack and Sage this year)is on its feet a good percentage of the time.

Today I pick up stereo DATs from the recent convention to begin the process of mixing down the 16-track tapes for the next album, which should be released in the fall.