| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  It's A Sin To Tell A Lie... done correctly!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 3:22 pm    

... by the Quebe Sisters. Check it out.

These girls are amazing to me. They bring tears to my eyes, they're so breathtakingly good. Kudos to their guitarist and manager, Joey McKenzie.

Pay close attention to the way they play the final "dixieland" chorus... dixieland isn't everybody playing a different solo simultaneously. There's someone playing straight melody, someone playing fills above the melody, and a rhythm instrument below the lead line. These women do it like a real band. Beautiful!!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 3:50 pm    

Herb: No tears on the first cut but a lot of goose bumps. There were two other clips near this one and San Antonio Rose has always been a Home song for me. That one got me involved too !! I especially like those vocal modulations. The other one I found was Across The Alley From The Alamo, another classic done in the original classic manner !!

Good harmony singers and prolific musiciams !! I told L T Zinn at the Atlanta Steel show that I thought he sounded like a famous jazz rhythm guitarist whose name I cannot recall just now. But this guy is surely no second place player in anyone's band. He's solid as a rock and smooth on top of that !!

All this talk about the demise or dearth of country music, where did these young ones come from...

TEXAS ??

Regards, Paul Cool Cool Cool
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 4:05 pm    

Thanks Herb for that link to the Quebe Sisters. I have enjoyed several other of their videos that
I could link to from there. They are extremely good! both vocally and instrumentally. I am sorry to say that I had never heard them until now.....the whole band is GREAT!
Johnny Baldwin

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 6:59 pm    

Thanks Herb for the link. I'm hooked. I had never heard of the Quebe sisters before. Check this one of Hulda Quebe "smokin" that fiddle (in the parking lot!).
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_-QAFZq4I&feature=related
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 10:03 pm    

Thanks, Herb! Who IS that guitar player???
Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 10:03 pm    

Herb, Those gals are terrific! Also, have you checked out Ginny Mac? She burns on the jazzy accorion stuff, sings well and is durn good lookin' She comes out here to play the Cotati Accordion Festival. After her set she ends up with a CD line all the way around the festival!!
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 10:11 pm    

I have both their albums
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 10:36 pm    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
As Herb said in the first post, the guitar player is Joey McKenzie. Wink
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 10:41 pm    

Billy
Hey, tall guy! I've been hip to Ginny Mac since she was 14 years old... she's an old pal who's grown into a fantastic musician.

Steve G.
The guitarist is Joey McKenzie, who is also their manager and musical director. Joey is a great fiddler too, I played some dates with him on the Johnny Bush band. Joey understands the Spade Cooley fiddle voicings that the girls play with so much precision.

Their fiddle work is so precise, perfectly coordinated bowing, intonation, I first thought they were classically trained. I asked Hulda "tell me you're trained violinists." She said, no, they were fiddle players and didn't have that background.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Randy Mason

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 11:13 pm    

I've been impressed with these girls since Ricky Skaggs brought them to the Opry. They sent me this video last year and it is so good!!!!! Very Special!!
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2009 11:28 pm    

Janice Brooks wrote:
I have both their albums

OMG!! I soon will have! Whoa!

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 2:49 am    

Holy.... I think I'm in love!!!! Very Happy
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 5:29 am    

Is there any other information about these young ladies ?? How old are they to be this polished ?? I first thought they might hail from Texas but I'm not sure now; maybe California; Spade Cooley country ??

One of the YouTube sites says something about Celtic Southland and that could be anywhere down here. We know one of their first names but with time, these girls will all be as well known as Allison !! Perhaps she might be one of their idols or influences. Who knows Question Question Question

Regards, Paul Very Happy
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 7:09 am    

Paul
I've posted on these girls before, but I'm always happy to promote young people who play classic music, especially when they do it at the level of professionalism these beautiful women display.

The girls... Grace, Sophia, and Hulda... are from Texas, west of Ft. Worth. They're sisters ranging in age from 18 to 22, approximately. Their first album is all instrumental, their second album "Timeless" is vocal primarily with a few instrumentals like "Airmail Special," "Take The A Train" and "Twin Guitar Special" thrown in. Let me tell ya, their versions of these instrumentals are OUTSTANDING, though their vocals are equally impressive.

All the first generation swing and country players in this town... and at 61, I'm in the second generation, not the first... are their fans and come out to see their local shows. I'm talking about guys that worked with Hank Williams. These old gentlemen get to thier feet and give well-deserved standing ovations to these wonderful girls.

BTW, their last name is pronounced KWAY-bee.

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 8:00 am    

I'll get something back on my playlist
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 8:11 am    

Herb: Now that is the kind of reply that will really make your day !! I may have ten (Sorry; 17...) years on you but I'd stand up and applaud any day of the week for music like they make !! Texas has really been in the forefront here of late with the likes of Milo Deering and Buzz Evans and now this fantastic act !! Perhaps if you sent me some of the water from Texas to drink, I might get somewhere !!

Again, many many Thanks for the reply and I surely did miss that first thread you started !!

Regards, Paul Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dean Dobbins

Rome, Ilinois, U.S.A. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 8:36 am    

Herb-WOW!!-Those young Ladies are sump'n ELSE!!
Thanks for the post.

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 9:44 am    

I always enjoy hearing great music I haven't heard before. These ladies do it up right nice. Thanks for the post.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 6:09 pm    

Jim Smith wrote:
Stephen Gambrell wrote:
As Herb said in the first post, the guitar player is Joey McKenzie. Wink

Sorry, I missed it the first read.And after listening, who wants to read Very Happy Very Happy ??
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 7:03 pm    

Yea! Very Happy Very Happy

The fiddling is outta sight but on Sally Goodin' he plays that L-7 like I do in my dreams. Reminds me of the rhythm players on my dad's old LP "Texas Fiddle Favorites" with Benny Thomasson and Major Soloman. Gonna have to dig that one out and give a listen. (and buy these ladies' stuff too! Very Happy Very Happy )
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 9:44 am    

They are tremendous. I could listen to that all day. And I'd like to, too!

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 10:29 am    

Thanks, Herb - I hadn't heard of them before; really remarkable!!!

I loved the sound of that Gibson L-7, too! I must get a CD of their stuff....
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 3:31 pm    

Not to totally hijack the thread (but since I already have Smile )

From the FAQ section of the Sisters web site:

Quote:
Q What kind of guitar does Joey play?

A Although he has a pretty substantial arsenal of guitars, Joey's favorite "band guitar" is a 1948 Gibson L-12 archtop. However, Joey says "I'm thinking about getting me one of them cool pointy electric guitars with a real flashy paint job like I see the big stars playing on TV and stuff".

I am not familiar with the L-12. Is that the one one the video? I would have bet $10 that it was an L-7. Whoa!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 5:07 pm    

Me too, Bill! Right body-shape, and parallelogram fret-markers. An L-12??? I don't know that one....

OK - introduced in 1932 and discontinued in 1955. 16" at first, then a 17" wide body. (Thank goodness for my library!)
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 5:15 pm    

Three beautiful songbirds and you guys are discussing the body shape and parallelogram fretmarkers on the '48 Gibson? Smile

I'm knocked out by the Quebe's, I can't wait for the CD's to arrive.

Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 8 Jan 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total