| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Split tuning issue
Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 5:16 pm    

I'm having a bit of an issue with my split tuning and am looking for some advice. I put an G#-F# lower on my steel today and have it set up as a split with pedal B (using an extra rod). If I engage the pedal first and the the lever the G is in tune, if I then disengage the pedal, my F# comes back a little sharp. If I reverse the process the opposite is true. Either way the G# comes back up to pitch with no problem. Is there a way to fix this, or is it idiomatic of split tuning. I just cleaned the rollers, so they should be okay. Is this just hysteresis?

Thanks for any help,
Gabriel
Bob Parins

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 6:19 pm    

Gabriel-

It sounds like you're close. Check out this thread:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=130486&highlight=tuning+split

The animated diagram helped me. The most important thing once you've got the rods in is in what order you tune them. It's counter-intuitive, so pay close attention.

Good luck!
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 7:31 pm    

what kind of guitar are you playing

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 10:06 pm    

Thanks everyone. It's a Rittenberry. I'm kind of just checking out this change, I don't know if I'll keep it yet or not.

Gabriel
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 10:31 pm    

Gabriel, I don't know if this will help, but you might try tuning it, in this order:

#1 Tune your G# open

#2 Tune your B pedal Raise to an A note (At the normal raise Nylon.

#3 Hold down your B pedal, & ALSO engage your knee lever, and, Using your Lower Nylon tune that pedal & knee combination to a G note

#4 Now from the extra rod, engage ONLY your knee lever, and Adjust that (Extra rod Nylon) for the F# Note.

That might just do it for ya..

Added Note: If you've tuned different previously, you should back off the nylon for the extra added rod before doing the first 3 steps.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Don
Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 10:12 am    

Just to clarify a little, if I go straight to the F# from the G#, it goes all the way down in tune, if I go straight to the G from the A note (B pedal) it goes and is in tune. The mystery is when I go from the split to the full lower, or from the full lower to the split - that's when things are a little bit out. Maybe I'll tighten the lower return springs a little and see if that helps. Thanks. Merry Christmas.

Gabriel
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 2:04 pm    

You should call Gary and let him walk you through.
If you want his ph# email me and I'll send it to you.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2008 9:04 pm    

Gabriel, With no pedals nor knee levers used:

Make sure you have some free (end) play in each of those three pulls, at the endplate.

Make sure you didn't first use your lower nylon, to adjust that G# down to F#.

That step (at least on a Carter) has to be done using the raise pull, to take it on down, BUT!!! (only after the G# to A is done, as well as, after the G note is tuned, "while B pedal & your lower Knee lever are both engaged, for only that ONE G note lower. And that's adjusted by using your normal lower nylon tuning nut.

The full lower on down to F#, should be the last step you make, after first releasing both your knee and Pedal, after having tuned the G Note. Then, engage your Knee Lever ONLY, and adjust that last step, with the Split Rod, (which is actually in a Raise Hole, above the normal Raise. Or, at least it is on my Carter) and it works flawlessly.

Again, make sure you have Free End Play, with pedals Up and No Knee levers engaged.

However, if you're in doubt, I'd give the Co., a call, as has been suggested.

What I'm not a believer in doing, (even though it may well bring the lowered pull back) is jumping into adding extra spring tension, unless absolutely, as a very last resort after checking out every other possibility.

Again, if it's tuned in the right order, than make certain, FIRST you have SOME free, Rod End Play, at the Nylons.

Don
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 10:20 am    

Gabriel,

I had this similar problem with a Zum and I called Bruce to try to figure out what was going on. You actually diagnosed it at the beginning. It is hysterisis (sp) and not much you can do to make it work both ways. Since I normally have the pedals down and then engage the lever, I set it up to work that way. Bruce also suggested a different string to use on the 6th. Not a wound just a different gauge. That helped some as well but it does not really solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12
Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2008 1:03 pm    

Mark,

Thanks. That's sort of what I figured, as it goes to pitch and returns to pitch if used individually, but not from split to lower and vice versa. I have been tuning it in the right order, etc. so that wasn't the problem. I do have it set up for the most common order of the changes I use, so I'll call it good until I decide if I want to keep the change. I rarely go from a dom7 to a 6th (at least when it's voiced like that), so it isn't a big deal and it isn't that far off pitch, just enough for me to notice it. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Gabriel