| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another stupid newbie question
Kjell Ohlsson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 2:15 am    

Being a newbie like me, only played steel guitar for 20 month, ain´t easy in many ways.
There´s one thing in particular that I find very hard to handle. It´s tabs, only the glimpse of it could raise a few hackles.
Picture this… let´s take Crazy arms for example. There´s a wonderful version on youtube by Ray Price and Mike Cass on pedal steel.
Upon this I saw tabs regarding a Buddy Emmons break version on the same song. I thought I knew the song by listen to it but…
…when it comes to play the Buddy Emmons break version, and make it fit in (well not in RP´s version though), I´m stuck. I think I can read tabs, I´ve done it on some songs, songs that I´ve got on CD´s or other medias combined with the tabs. So that´s not the issue.
I´m talking about playing/analyzing tabs to intros and breaks you never heard of.
How do I do it... Very often I can´t even see the beat marks. And there are just us often more tones on the tab chart that seem to fit in to the intro or break. But I gess it´s only a Professional steel guitar player´s way of using the PSG features the way they should be used. But I´m still stuck.
I place my hopes on you fellow experienced pedal steel guitar pickers and forumites if you can come up with something that would make my steel guitar picking a lot easier.
I will appreciate every effort from you explaining this mystery to me. Or is it a Mission impossible…

Please help me along.
Thanks a lot.
Kjell

Britain
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 3:54 am    

On the videos that I tab out, I put the video timings on the tab, so that it is easy to reference where you are on the tab Very Happy

Click Here for an example
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 4:19 am     tabs

It is almost a necessity to have access to the recording of the tune containing the actual break you are attempting to learn. This will enable you to hear the way the steel player approaches the song. Many times triplets or a series of notes played in rapid succession are employed without this fact being indicated on the tab. This may explain why at times there appear to be more notes than will fit.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 27 Dec 2008 11:56 pm    

I think having tab of any kind is a great learning tool. I think the recommendations put forth here are all helpful.
However I feel that if the teacher would write the tab correctly into TablEdit the student could then download the tab into their very own TablEdit. This would solve most tab problems, simply because it includes tab, notation and midi of the tab. A line travels along the tab and notation in in perfect sync with the midi melody. You can’t miss.
I believe TablEdit to be one the best teaching and learning tools for Steel Guitar.
Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2008 5:01 am    

i think i understand this question. i really don't know how to play steel but if it wasn't for tabs i wouldn't know anything at all on a steel. the first thing that i learned on a steel is there is many different ways of tuning just depending on the player. now for your question is the second thing that i learned, you can take one note and it can be played several different ways on a steel. for example if you take the 5th string on the 8th fret you can get the same note on different strings having to move your bar up and down the neck to different frets. different players use different strings to achieve the same sound for ease of the next note or because they like that better then how another player picks the same notes. hope this helps with your question. doc.