| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Favorite OLD Stock Pre-amp tube--Fender twin/Vibrosonics
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 10:08 pm    

What's your favorite OS preamp tube for a twin reverb, for steel guitar? I'm looking at a set of RCA preamp tubes. I've also love Jan Phillips tubes, like 5751's.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 3:07 am    

Back before I decided that I couldn't and wouldn't get addicted to NOS tubes (can't afford it) I found a tube in an amp I'd bought and pulled it and tried it in my DSR----an Amperex Bugle Boy. It was the first time I understood what a difference a preamp tube can make. Before I had a chance to really spend time enjoying it I destroyed it by hot swapping tubes and somehow shorting it out during a pull. Big live & learn there seeing it cloud up inside and instantly die! Turn stuff off before you pull a tube!
But like I said, I've made the conscious decision that not only can I not afford NOS---every day I can afford them less since every day they are rarer and rarer so I've just got to accept the compromise in tone.
Man that tube sounded sweet.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 6:08 am    

Telefunken or these:
http://www.tubedepot.com/bsct-12ax7-mullard.html
I'm glad I started collecting NOS tubes 25 years ago!
Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2008 9:59 pm    

Hey James , I just about got my Rev broke in, are there any other preamp tubes you recamend to try for a warmer sound , not that it doesnt sound great. Im just wondering???? Confused
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2008 9:15 am    

Well Dan, That's kind of the nature of this thread to see a little feedback in that department. I myself am enjoying, in my 135 Watt Vibrosonic, the Jan Philips and RCA preamp tubes. I am using Jan Philips 7581A's for my power tubes. Hope this helps.
Bill Quinn

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 3:00 pm    

Hey James! Are those boars still chasing you through the woods?

I also have put some NOS tubes in a Vibrosonic, and wow they do sound sweet. For the preamp 5751, I put in a GE blackplate, for AT7 inverter a Mullard, also some NOS GE power tubes. These were all in the $50-70 range and the smaller tubes seemed to make the most tonal difference.

audiotubes.com has alot of different tubes with descriptions. The priciest tubes are listed first and are unreal.I am quite happy with the tubes I tried. I searched EBay and found some of the same tubes at better prices.

Last edited by Bill Quinn on 19 Dec 2008 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 3:05 pm    

I got most of my tubes from a retired electronic organ repairman. Hammonds were loaded with Amperex tubes, Jensen speakers, etc. Old tube Hi-Fs have some great stuff too. Ya just gotta keep your eyes open.
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 3:12 pm     Amperex and/or Mullard

I prefer either Amperex or Mullard, however they surely are getting more difficult to find, not to mention they are expensive $$$$$$$!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 3:17 pm    

Jerry, I once bought a Hammond at Salvation Army's store in Akron. I took out the Amperex tubes and the Jensen speakers. I made a sign that said, "Needs tubes and speakers," and donated it right back. It never left the store. Cost? $30.oo! 6 Amperex EL-84's. several Telefunken 12AX7's, and a beautiful 1957 Jensen 12" speaker.