| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Peavey Valve King Amplifier is Great !!!!
Richard Marko

Dallas, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 2:33 pm    

Hey guys - after alot of searching, along with trying a bass amp, I've finally found a great amp, bought it and played four gigs of different size/type rooms and this amp is GREAT !!!!

I fell out of the "steel player" amp mold and purchased a
Peavey Valve King "All Tube" amp , single 12" of only 50 watts !! Shocked
This thing kicks and is very surprisingly loud for 50 watts !!!
Bottom you would not believe !!!
I was concerned with the 50 watt limit but the guy at Guitar Center told me it'll be alot louder than a solid state so I gave it a try and he was right.
The highest I've had to crank it was 50% on rock songs.
Note, I hang a mic in front of amp to have amp in the PA mix, but the 50 watts was plenty for me to hear on stage.

I use my POD XT in the front for EQ and effects.
The amp Bass , treble, midrange are at 10 o'clock.
Don't like the brightness button - made my steel too bright, had the knob on back of amp set between a class A and Class B amplification.

It is different than my session 500 as it is solid state but competes with the bottom and how the highs are nice and bright at same time.
Oh I forgot to mention the Valve King is only 40 lbs !!!!!

If yor are ever interested in a new amp, you have to give this amp a try - it'll blow you away. Whoa!
I got it for $457.00 after an on-line price comparison performed at Guitar Center, they beat any low price by 2%.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 4:20 pm    

I had one for a while. I liked it. I could dial in a good guitar tone and a good steel tone, but it took a lot of fiddling...... and I was using it on a gig where I was playing both instruments, so the fiddling between songs took too long.
Richard Marko

Dallas, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 4:55 pm    

Mike - that is where the POD or some type of processor would be nice for you so you would save the settings as a patch and just dial that patch in and your ready to go in no time for either guitar and / or special settings for a particular song which is what I do.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2008 5:40 pm    

I can't stand Pods or any of the other modeler/processors for live gigs. Sometimes they work in the studio.... the live thing is too weasely and thin for me.
I can usually get by with my trusty 64 Deluxe reverb..... If I need something bigger for the steel, I just tote 2 amps.
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 6:10 pm    

Some people don't like the ValveKing line of amps, because they are "guitar amps". But , I have a VK100 head teamed up with a 15" Black Widow, and it sounds great. Sometimes I even use it with a NV112 hooked up in paralell, and that is really good. Oh yeah, and with the Tele or Strat I use two 12" Red Coats, awsome.

I like the VK.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 12:52 am    

Guys my 400 is off road for repair( see electronics) and went into studio last night to record, borrowed a valveking 212 and it sounded great, don't know how it would stand up to gig volume but in studio I was impressed, would like to try the 112 to see how it performs.