| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar Rig 3
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2008 7:35 pm    

Just installed Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3--holy c***... I am not easily impressed, but this is sooo close to the real thing it's scary. One of the session guys I use a lot has just been bringing this and a laptop to sessions. It was so good I had to get one here, too... Smile Makes the Line 6 stuff sound as bad as I always thought it did...Smile
Tarmo Heikkinen

Finland
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 12:37 am    

I have a demo,Fenders and Vox sound great.Good for the harp too.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 5:04 am    

Hey John I have to agree with you usually you get what you pay for in those kind of plugins. I have used most of the major amp/cab/effect emulators and all sound pretty doggone good. With Line 6 falling some place towards the bottom of the heap their strong suite is their price Smile If I depended on these modelers for my living I would definitely upgrade to either GTR Rig 3 or Amplitube 2 or possibly one of the other hardware only modelers such as the Axe-Fx (very incredible and objectionably the best hardware unit on the planet) as far as hardware units go (way pricey).

Did you get the complete package with the Rig Kontrol or just the software? The hardware is almost imparative to solve the latency issue unless you are one of the lucky ones that aren't bothered by it. I just can't get past the feel issue but like I mentioned its not an issue with their Rig Kontrol. I think in the next 5 yrs computers will have such fast bus and hard drive interfaces systems that the latency issues will be gone then the price of those all in one packages ie hardware and software will no longer be needed then we will see the prices plumit downard at least I'm hoping for that.

Have fun and let us know how things go after a few sessions Smile I would love to hear one of your recordings if you feel like it. I have yet to hear it perform in a steel situation or even a country session other than mine and it's hard for me to be objectionable on my own sessions because I'm the best player in my session oh did I mention I'm also the only one in them heheh!

Bob

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 6:04 am    

I got the controller--the latency seems to be just fine, and I am running it a single core Mac at the moment. I really felt the latency in GR 2, but they seemed to have solved it in this one... I bought it mainly for outside players coming through the studio, but can't wait to try some steel through it... Smile
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 3:17 pm    

Well John, thats good you should get a lot of use out of it especially recording dry while the player monitors with any effect or as wet of a signal that he/she desires and then you could easily reamp. Of course I know that you know this already I was mainly mentioning it for others not as familiar with these plugins as you are.

For some reason I've had a hard time stirring up much interest in these kind of apps here on the forum. I'm not sure why maybe everyone is already familiar with them and don't feel the need to discuss them or they are against modeling programs in general but if it is the latter they are sure missing out on some great technology that will only get better as the years or should I say months go by it happens that fast any more Smile

Good luck and like I said if you want to post one of your sessions or even send me a pm with a link the next time someone uses it on a project feel free to.

Bob

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 5:06 pm    

I've been playing with the Guitar Rig 3 demo for a couple of days now. I think it's incredible. The overdrives are warm and it has the most versatile effects control system that I've ever seen. You can control anything and everything with volume envelopes.

I've tried just about all of the floor-based $600 or less multi-fx units and this is waaaaay better. No lag and great response. I think a lot of it has to do with expensive ADA converters which my Emu 1616m takes care of nicely. There just no way that a $400 Pod is going to have great converters. They are just too expensive.

I'm also trying out the Peavey Revalver MKIII demo. The amp sounds are great(maybe even better than Guitar Rig) and you can tweak the hell out of the amps. The effects and other features can't touch Guitar Rig 3, but if you just want great amp tone, it's worth looking into.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 5:43 am    

It's on the list.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2008 2:02 pm    

Hey John,

I've put putzing with GR3 and also running thru some of the UAD plugs (i.e.; Neve 1073) and even just plugging direct into the interface....dang, it is really tweaking my interest.
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 2:51 am    

Does anybody know if you can get the Guitar Rig 3 controller seperately ? .....I would like to get in on the Kore 2/Komplete 5 special ...It comes with Guitar Rig 3 but no controller ....?????.....Thanks, JIm
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2008 5:14 am    

I just installed Sonar 8 Producer and Guitar Rig 3 LE version came with it. I haven't found anything, so far, that would really work with steel. I've been playing around with a dry recorded steel track.

Obviously the full version has more than the LE version.
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 12:03 pm    

question John or Miguel, since one of you is using the hardware and one just software. What would the hardware have to do with latency. I would think that is a software issue. You can use direct monoriting and that does away with all of the latency but Im not sure if that would work with the software. I just ordered the software and was wondering about it thanks in advance
John Wall

TN, US
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 1:09 pm     Amp Sim Software

Peavey has entered this game with Revalver MK III. I wonder if they might include some steel friendly simulations in this or another program some day????

http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/