| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sound Track Or Rythym Machine
Robert Deaton

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 3:03 pm    

HEY GUYS,
I have been "playing" the pedal steel now for going on 8 yrs. I play almost all gospel music, and I want to play music with someone, but there is noone in the local area that is into playing gospel that needs or want a steel. I've seen Bill Lawrence's sound track site, but am thinking about a rythym machine that Billy Cooper has at his store. I would like to do some recording for family members and need some other instruments and sound other than just the steel. There is a guy named Tony Arrowwood that is on YOU TUBE, where does he get all those sound tracks? There is also a DR.880 or something of the sort( rythym machine ) at musician's friend-is it better for the money than the machine that maybe some of you have seen at Billy's? Need some more helpful advice. Thanks in advance! Robert
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 3:22 pm    

Robert,

See the thread(s)about BIAB. That's all you need. It plays better rhythm than a lot of bands I've played with.
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 3:23 pm    

Where do you live in N.C.?
Robert Deaton

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 3:31 pm     Sound Track...?

THANKS GUYS,
I live south of Graham,NC just off HWY 87 on Snow Camp Rd.
And as to the BIAB, I have the very early version and would need to upgrade to the newist ver. especially in order to get the gospel music I would like, but to be really honest, I have tryed to make a "song" rythym with which to play along-to no avail.
It is probably just my mind want let me think my way through to do it( stupidity. )I can play the songs it already has on it, but most of it is not what I want.
Thanks, Robert
John Bresler R.I.P.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 5:00 pm    

Robert:

You should talk to Big Jim Baron about your version of BIAB and let him give you some suggestions. BIAB has really been improved from the early versions, including real drums. Big Jim is a BIAB Dealer, great steel picker, and a really great person to work with.

Just do a search for BIAB topics and you'll find his email. He's also a forum member.

Cool
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 5:02 pm    

I've found BIAB easier than any drum machine I've ever seen, plus you get piano, bass, etc... with BIAB. It's actually simple. I could show you how to do it in a few minutes. There's some You Tube videos on how to use BIAB, you might try watching them. There's also some on the pgmusic.com web site.

Is BIAB as good as live musicians. Yes and no. It's not as good as some, and a lot better than others. It's an excellent tool for backing tracks, and I know a lot of people that use it for commercial recording. A lot of the steel players frown on using BIAB, but there's a lot of steel players that I don't care for their playing either. To each his own.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 5:03 pm    

Double post, due to interference from aliens. One of them looked like Webb Pierce. Maybe a reincarnation.
Robert Deaton

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 5:50 pm     sound track ...

Thanks all of you for your responses.
John, i'll look up big Jim's and thanks again.

Robert---LOVE TO STEEL FOR THE LORD!! Very Happy
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 8:33 am    

Very good stuff! I have 2 cd's they are great! You won't be dissapointed. Greg

http://joeturnersoundtracks.com/
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Larry Kinner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 10:00 am    

Robert, this is off the subject, but I used to know some Deatons either from North or South Carolina(didn't keep up with them after they left TX). Herb and Joann. Any kin to them?
Ellis Miller

Cortez, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 10:13 am    

2nd BIAB. It is simple and you are the band leader.
Robert Deaton

Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 11:12 am     Sound Track?

LARRY, Don't know them personally, but I wouldn't doubt it. There aren't too many Deatons, relatively ,
speaking. My grand-parents originally came to the hills of NC from Tenn. by horse drawn wagon(s). I sure would like to get a hold of a ancestrial family tree thingy---I can't think of what those things are
called all of a sudden. Anyway, thanks for the mention.
Robert Surprised
Robert Deaton

Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 11:13 am     sound track?

Thanks, Ellis

I'm doing some serious thinking about all this.
Frank Sprague

Custer , Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 2:05 pm     Sound Track or Rhythm Machine

Thanks for opening this one up - I've had the same dilema going for quite a while - I record all my own practice tapes , Guitar bass , percussion etc. and I've been using a Boss "Dr Rhythm" - it's OK , but it's definitely my weak suit. . I know there's got to be other gear out there capable of so much more - Garage Band is good ,but requires a Mac computer , Pro Tool is another , but I don't want to buy a bigger PC with more Ram , gigs or whatever it takes to run that either - I guess if that's what it takes I will . . There must be a good percussion program out there ? What is the BIAB ? is it just drums ? can I get their Website ? I'd like to get a program that has maybe pre-programmed loops to act as a timing / clicktrack , and then add fills , breaks , intros , as needed . . any suggestions ?

Post  Posted 5 Dec 2008 2:16 pm     Sound Track?

THE BIAB--BAND IN A BOX HAS SEVERAL VERSIONS AND I HAVE THE FIRST ONE OR MAYBE THE SECOND ONE THAT CAME OUT. IT HAS EVRYTHING FROM PIANO, BASS, RYTHYM GUITAR, ALL, BUT I NEVER HAVE FIGURED OUT HOW TO PROGRAM IT OR SET IT UP TO ANY PARTICULAR SONG THAT I WANT AS A BACK UP SOUND TRACK. SOMEONE ELSE HERE ON THE FORUM CAN HELP THOUGH I'M SURE.

ROBERT
William Lawson

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2008 5:47 am     Rythmn tracks

Hey Robert have a look at my tracks on my website I think you will like what you see and hear.Bill Lawson
www.freewebs.com/transman
Robert Deaton

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2008 5:32 pm     Sound Track?

Thanks William, yes i have seen your site and will order something later. What I hear sounds great.
Get with you later. Smile
Robert

Bob close this thread if you don't mind.