| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  AB, Pots,
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 4:51 am    

howdy, i found on a job we were workin on, 6,AB,5K-OHM,TYPE J, MEXICO, THERE NOT BEAT ABOUT, how can i tel if there any good without loading them in a pedal,there quite long shafted, longer than the ones in my VP,s lew.
pro1,s two round fronts, one square front, sho-bud, S12, LDG,1977, built by paul franklin sen, [THE PROFESSIONAL]nice all original, bandit65, nash, 400, profex 11,match-box, 7A,DD3, delay,various accoustic guitars, amps, and other necessitys,
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 6:22 am    

Lew,

All my pots are 500K ohm. I couldn't tell you how a 5k would work...

I have successfully cut down the long shafts, but use caution not to stress the internal contacts while cutting.

If you have an instrument that will put out a continuous tone,such as a keyboard flute sound, run that through the pots and sweep from full off to full on to check for any obvious scratching noises or dead spots.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 5:59 pm    

No, your 5k pots would be of no use as a volume control. Pots used for volume controls are usually 250k to 500k.

Quote:
I have successfully cut down the long shafts, but use caution not to stress the internal contacts while cutting.

When cutting off part of the shaft, always have the portion you're cutting off either held in a vise, or held by pliers. NEVER hold the body of a pot using a vise or pliers when you're cutting off the shaft!
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2008 12:12 am    

There was a topic here last week by Frank Parish more or less concerning the same problem. He accidently bought Pots from a local electronics shop that were 5K instead of 500K and he found he only had barely half his normal volume! He brought them to me and I missed the difference on the invoice too!
Lewis John Foote

Dorset, UK
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2008 5:06 am    

howdy, when i saw them i thought 5k was maybe,short for 500k, but i can see now there worth less as a volume pot, thanks for all comments, lew.
pro1,s two round fronts, one square front, sho-bud, S12, LDG,1977, built by paul franklin sen, [THE PROFESSIONAL]nice all original, bandit65, nash, 400, profex 11,match-box, 7A,DD3, delay,various accoustic guitars, amps, and other necessitys,