| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pat Martino & Joey DiFrancesco
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 2:51 pm    

One of the great things about Philly is that a LOT of really amazing jazz players come from here (e.g., Philly Joe Jones, John Coltrane) and two of the best are performing here together on 2/23 and 2/24. Pat Martino and Joey DiFrancesco. Most of you know of Martino, either directly, or because he was a great inspiration on jazz to Buddy Emmons. Joey Di. is much younger (30's, I think) but is a VERY hot jazz organ (B-3) player, who worked with Miles Davis among others. These two guys are gonna eat the place alive! Small jazz club: "Chris' Jazz Cafe", 1421 Sansom St., Tel: 215-568-3131. I'll be there for sure; only question is whether I'm going one night or both!

------------------
www.jimcohen.com
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 3:52 pm    

Better go both nights, Jim. I'd be there if I could. I've seen Joey DeFrancesco a couple of times and he absolutely kills! One time he was on a festival bill where John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu, remember?) was the headliner. McLaughlin had a big group, playing loud hi-energy fusion, after Joey had opened up with his trio (organ, guitar, & drums). When the show was over and I was walking home, I couldn't remember a note of McLaughlin's music, but I was humming to myself "I took a trip on a train, and I thought about you,,,,,",

Enjoy the show, Jim.

Pat Martino ain't no slouch, either....

[This message was edited by Jerry Gleason on 02 February 2001 at 05:17 PM.]

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 4:23 pm    

Catch as much Joey as you can! A couple of years ago he was playing WITH John MacLaughlin in a trio called "Free Spirit" (I think that was the name.) Dennis Chambers was the drummer. They were here two years in a row as I recall. I went both nights, each time they were here. Three fantastic musicians. Wow! The last night they played (Great American Music Hall in one of those west bay cities ) Carlos came in and sat off to one side for the entire set. Of course we were all hoping he'd get up and play also. John did introduce him, but all he did was listen. Watching Joey play is almost as much of a treat as hearing him. Gets his whole body into it. Like to see what he would do with a PSG .

A friend of mine here at work is heavy into B3's (currently owns 8 of them) and rented one to Joey last year when he played at Bimbo's (in the west bay city) with Jimmy Smith.

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 4:52 pm    

Joey D. is the man!!! I've got about everything he's done. I especially love the stuff he's done with Capt. Jack Mcduff. Over the last few years he has definitely been my biggest musical influence. B3 players definitely have a lot of the same feel as C6th players.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 5:42 pm    

Joey D. did a great album 'Relentless' with Danny Gatton (one of his last), a great 'Burner'.
I also have a fairly new one which he plays alongside his father.

------------------
Regards, Craig
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2001 8:15 am    

BTW, I just heard that Capt. Jack died of heart failure on 1/23/01. We'll miss him.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2001 8:20 am    

I'm on a project with Joey out of Calgary by an artist named Robert Hubele. It was an overdub so we never met.