| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Got a few questions! Thanks!
GeneRector

Normangee, Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 5:11 pm    

Smile Howdy! If you get a double 8 and tune one to C6, what would you tune the other to? And why? Also, what would be gained if you get a single 10 string, no pedals, over the single 8 string in C6 tuning? I would like to play some of the old Hank Williams and Ernest Tubb music and feel that maybe C6 would be the way to go regardless of the number of strings. Also, can you get a Single 10 in PSG with C6 tuning? If so, what advantage would the PSG have over a Single 10 without pedals? I know these are very elementary questions; however, I would appreciate your views and opinions. Thanks!

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 9:11 pm    

Hey Gene, this has been covered a few times before, try a search on multiple tunings, or triple neck tunings.

Most players with multiple neck steels like to use C6 or A6, and E13 and its variants.

I am looking at going from 8 string A6, to a 10 string C6, with additional chromatic strings on top. This lets you get all the great sounds available in the C6 tuning, with a little bit of the pedal steel flavour from the 2 extra strings on top.

If you want the Hank Williams sound, I believe Don Helms used an E13 tuning. Bob has instructional material for E13 here on the forum.

Bear in mind I hardly know what I am talking about, and there are many more people here with a lot more knowledge! Do a search in the archives, just about anything you could want to know is there.

Good luck!

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 5:46 am    

For Hank Williams material, you can use the same tuning as Don Helms: E6 - hi2lo G# E C# B G# E C# A
I prefer the E13 variant - which is the same except for the bottom 2 strings - hi2lo G# E C# B G# E D - B.

The most common 10 string C6 tuning is G E C A G E C A F C.
You would gain a bass string with the low C, and with the low F you get a big Maj7 chord and other harmonic possibilities.

BIG STEEL
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 7:37 am    

Rick, when the "Lost Highway" Hank Williams tribute stage show was playing in a theater in Norfolk, Va., Russ Wever was in town doing the steel guitar in the show. On his double eight Gibson he used the E13th varient like you mentioned and a C6th which was E C A G E C A G (high to low). He nailed all the Don Helms licks in that show just like they were recorded. He came by the house one night to see my old 1952 National Grand Console and brought me a couple of sets of strings for it. I set mine up the same way except I later dropped the C6th to a B6th as it made it less confusing for me as I play E9/B6 on pedal steel.........JH in Va.

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 10:07 am    

That's interesting Jerry, thanks for that.
Don's other tuning as you know, is B11 - essentially an A6 variant - E C# A F# D# B A F#.
It's a cool tuning, with the 7th chord on strings 3 4 5 & 6 - and the added 9th on string 2.
The minor triad on strings 2 3 & 4 has a 7th on string 1 and a 6th on string 5.
Strings 3 4 & 5 are a diminished chord, etc.

Gene, if you ask 10 different guys which tuning(s) you should use you'll likely get 10 different answers!
When someone asks me which tunings they should put on a D-8, I generally say A6 and E13.
The A6 can be quickly and easily retuned to B11, or to the C6 - as well as 9 or 10 other useful tunings. See Tunings.
GeneRector

Normangee, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2008 11:49 am    

Smile Howdy! Rick: Thanks for the information! It's plenty to get me started.