| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning off a Piano...
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 2:48 pm    

I have read from time to time guys would tune off of a piano, I really have to ask myself if they have had any luck.

First lets hope the piano is in tune! I suppose a good keyboard would work.

Second this would be the same as useing a tuning fork and if you want to tune to Concert Pitch isn't that 440 + or - 3?

Some of this I may be ignorant to so enlighten me!

So why would some guys tune their guitars off a piano, that would be same as tumeing straight up, right.

I always tuned my guitar either useing the newman way or billy cooper way, and I have good luck.

Thanks..
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 3:43 pm    

A.J., Sometimes musicians will get a single reference note off a piano and then tune the rest of their instrument to that note. For example, if you were tuning an E-9th pedal steel, you would ask the pianist for an "E" and then you would use that "E" reference note to tune the rest of your guitar.

Sometimes studio acoustic pianos can be tuned a little sharp to 440. I have tuned to acoustic pianos in churches and night clubs that were flat to 440.

I don't think, as a rule, "tuning to the piano" means matching every note on your steel to every corresponding note on the piano. (That said, years ago I did try tuning to every note on the piano but it didn't work for me)
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 4:03 pm    

I see
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 4:09 pm    

I am now playing with a band that uses an old "house" piano. The piano is way off (sharp), so we all tune to it. It is somewhat annoying, but its nice to play with a real piano instead of a keyboard...has a certain vibe to it. As Robert said, i just ask the piano player for an E , and can handle the rest from there.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 5:20 pm    

When I need to match a piano, I check the piano's A note against my tuner, and then adjust all of my numbers flat or sharp by that amount. This works because I usually tune my A's to the center mark of the tuner.

Example: if the piano's A is 10 cents flat on my tuner, then I subtract 10 cents from all of my tuning numbers, on both necks.

If the piano sounds out of tune with itself, I'll check a bunch of different piano notes with the tuner and try to get an average offset.

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 6:24 pm    

I can see what you guys are saying by getting an E note and going from there, the thing is, how many pianos do you know that are in tune?

Of course if you are close to an E and tune the rest of your guitar then you will be fine, but I don't know if this is the best way.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 7:00 pm    

In the days before tuners, I would strike the middle E and B together and get my pitch from there. Then
if we were out of tune we'd blame it on the piano!

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 8:14 pm     Re: Tuning off a Piano...

A. J. Schobert wrote:
So why would some guys tune their guitars off a piano...

Because it's a lot easier than tuning the piano off the guitar. Winking
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 8:21 pm    

Very few pianos were even close in all those slop chutes that I use to work..I just got a full chord from it and tuned my axe by ear..PJ...
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 8:36 pm     Re;

Papa Joe Pollick wrote:
Very few pianos were even close in all those slop chutes that I use to work..I just got a full chord from it and tuned my axe by ear..PJ...

Same here.this was long before tuners and bands tuned together by ear to a chord.not a note.Tracy
And back then you would have got shot if you called a piano player a keyboard player.In fact i never heard the term until the awful sonding electronic pianos came out.Mad
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 12:36 pm     David Is right on

Right On David. I only had one opportunity to play with a piano straight up. Damn that was bad. I haven't ask for a repeat. I was with a band one night and the piano player broke out a tool and tuned the darn thing.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 4:13 pm    

I'm with Bob. Tune to the A. If the piano is not in tune with itself, have the piano player play several octaves of the A major chord, sustain pedal down. Piano tuners tune from A or C.

Al Kentfield
Jonestown,Texas
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 6:00 pm    

At one time i too tried to tune to the Piano that was flat to 440 . Drove me crazy to say the least ! Then i got a little smarter !! I decided it was easier to play maybe a fret sharp or flat or whatever and keep my guitar close to proper tune . This took some concentration but i got through it . Cool