| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinion - GFI SD10 Ultra
Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2008 7:43 am    

I have a friend who is looking to sell a black GFI SD10 Ultra, 3 and 4, standard Emmons setup. The guitar is about 8 years old and hasn't seen much playing time. It has the regular tuners, not gearless.

I'm a former steeler and I haven't played steel much the past 15 years or so, focusing more on guitar. I've seen GFI's in some pretty capable hands and at St. Louis....what I've heard is that they are good light, dependable guitars that still have good tone.

Could I get some suggestion as to what a guitar such as that might be worth and if there are any issues with that age of GFI? I'd appreciate any opinions rendered.

Thanks,

Jon
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2008 8:26 am    

Jon, there's one for sale on the Forum right now that sounds pretty close to your friend's (although it doesn't say it's an Ultra, I assume it is) for $1400, which seems like a real bargain. I recently sold a very nice GFI S-10 for $1450. I think they're great guitars. My best guess would be in the $1500 to $1700 range, depending on condition.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2008 8:28 am    

Don't know about one this old,I bought a new one from Bobbe about four years ago,in a couple of months traded it to a friend for an old MSA Classic D-10,The GFI was a GREAT guitar,the ONLY reason I traded was I missed the C6th neck so much,I found NO fault with the GFI,wonderful guitar.DYKBC.

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2008 2:52 pm     Gfi

I Got A GFI From Bobbe Seymour About 4 years Ago They Are Up With The Best Great Guitars Mine Is A Keeper. SONNY.
Dick Phillips

Brownsville, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2008 10:53 pm    

I bought a GFI D-10 from Bobby about 3 years ago. I traded in an Emmons double 10. I have been very happy with the guitar. Good pedal action and a great sound.
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2008 4:55 pm     Utlra SD10

Got my SD10 Ultra from Bobby S. last christmas. Wonderful guitar, no issues at all, just get it and play, play play.

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2008 7:21 pm    

GFIs are amazing guitars. I'm a GFI player myself and I play a GFI Ultra D-10. I've had no problems with my GFI guitar. The tone is amazing, the guitar stays in tune and plays really well, and it's a great guitar to play at steel guitar shows and the pedal action is smooth too and the sound of the guitar is awesome!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2008 10:53 pm    

I would have no worries about age - they are built like tanks, yet extremely light. I have an S-10 Ultra (and think an SD-10 would really be a better choice) and love it - it plays smoothly, I really like the adjustable return spring tension, and the tone is like a Fender on steroids with more sustain!

There are "fancier" guitars - but I doubt there are better ones. If mine was stolen or lost the only thing I'd replace it with is another GFI.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Tor Arve Baroy

Norway
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2008 12:50 am    

I really like mine too!
I have a Shobud, homepractice and recording guitar
And A GFI Expo for live work!
Dependable, stays in tune and low weight!