| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seats w/Backrests
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 8:29 am    

I'm considering a new seat and was wondering if those of you that have seats with backrests are worth the extra money and more importantly; doe's the backrest actually come into play while your playing or is it mostly used when your not and just resting between songs. Thanks, Greg
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 8:36 am    

I wouldn't go without it. I don't use it much when I am playing, but I still think it's very useful.
Jon Logan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 8:40 am    

I bought a seat without a back rest while at Jeff Newman's school back in the late 70's, after prolonged playing my back ached. Now that I'm old(er) bought one with a back,,and I sit it close enough to the steel so the back rest gets used, major difference, absolutely worth the extra $$.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 8:48 am    

I highly recommend these. Built like a battleship:

http://www.steelseat.com/

Arch.

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 8:52 am    

I had one, and all it made was a heavier seat to lug around. The back would constantly flip open while I was carrying it and throw me off balance. Never leaned against it while I was playing... I'd never get another one, myself.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:03 am    

The backs on most all steel seats are too low and too small to be of real benefit, and none that I know of are contoured to fit your back. Look around and try to find a chair that looks like the typical steel seat with a back. (I predict you'll probably be looking a very long time.)
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:14 am    

I've had one for a few months now, and it's definitely heavier to haul around and it takes more room to pack in the car. The backrest is mostly to lean on between songs, not while playing. It's nice to lean back once in a while, but I'm not sure if it's worth lugging the extra weight around. Winking
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:29 am     Back Rest Steel Seat?

Greg,
Your tall enough that a back rest might be useful to you. My legs are so short I have to sit on the very edge of the seat to reach the knee levers. Only use about 6" of any seat I sit on to play. Now here's a novel idea for the Steel Seat builders. A back that folds completely out of the way, not onto the seat, and when up, can be adjusted forward as far as the center of the Steel Seat, so a player that only uses 6" or so of the seat can still have a back rest. Preferably just a lumbar pad, adjustable up and down. That way, one size fits all. And make the back removable, so If you didn't like it, you wouldn't have to haul it.

Sorry Greg, but you know how us old guys are, I'll shut up now. DS
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:36 am    

I've had three brands with backrests, and they all feel a bit different. Right now I'm using a Walker seat, and while the back rest does make it a bit more cumbersome to carry and store, it's worth it to me. I don't use it while actually playing, but it's just a couple inches behind me to lean on between songs. We play some VERY long sets sometimes and it's great to be able to shift position and rest my back a bit. I love 'em, (and Ray Walker's fantastic to deal with about anything steelish, by the way).
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:37 am    

I think the backrest is more useful when you're home practicing, and less useful when you're gigging.
How come nobody makes a seat with a easy-on, easy-off type of backrest?
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 9:51 am    

Lot's of good info guy's. My back does get tired sometimes and that is why I am considering a seat with a backrest. Looking at the seats with backrest's it looks like it wont even reach your back unless you lean back into it. I think Dick has a great idea as to making them that would slide forward and back to meet the small of your back. Of course in Dick's case someone needs to build him a step stool so that he can get up on his seat! Laughing Laughing
It looks like from the choices that are out there that the Steeler's Choice seat w/ backrest looks like it may be the closest to your back. I use an office chair at home. (wish I could pack it around)
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 10:10 am    

I never had a backrest seat, so I can't comment on one. Just this Sunday, I went to Sam Ash Music, and bought a "On Stage" keyboard seat. It was the long one with a 3" pad. Very ajustible, and sturdy. Very easy to fold, and carry. And the price was great. Their flyer had it for $65, and got it for $43. If just playing at home, and you want a backrest, just raise a old chair up to the height you want.

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 10:30 am     Good one buddy!!!!

It's true, us vertically challenged players might need a step on the side of the seat as well as adjustable steel seat legs. Then as mentioned, a back that will move forward and back as well as quick disconnect, so you can take it off. Better motorize the whole mess and build it into a hand truck so you can get it to the gig. Wink
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 10:36 am    

I'll "roadie" for ya DS..........
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 11:02 am     Roadie, hummm!

Greg, if you get one of those real perty fancy seats, I'll roadie for you just so I can sit on it when your not watchin. Heck, I was hoping you had a roadie job open for me anyway.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 12:57 pm    

Greg, check out Dan Rollans seats - I have been using them for years and love that back !

http://www.steelerschoice.com/

And one of Tom's covers will keep it in good nick!

http://www.d2fcovers.com/Steeler's_Seats.htm
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jeff Watson

Anza, CA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 2:02 pm    

A drummers throne with backrest, in many cases adjustable, works great.
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 2:17 pm    

Paddy, I think I like the Steelers Choice the best so far. The back looks closer and it has lots of fabric and color choices and the best price.

Dick; try to come Sat. Night. You'll enjoy yourself.
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 6:33 pm    

Greg - yes I love the colour choices !!! Very Happy

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 6:47 pm    

I've used both, and the one with the backrest won. I've got one like Paddys above, but without all the fancy snake skin. I didn't want to draw any attention to that general area anyway. I'd prefer the ladies staring at my hands. :-)
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 7:46 pm    

Steelseat.com seats is what works well for me. The backrest may actually add 2 or 3 lbs. weight---Big deal. What, that's a deal breaker??? Laughing Then again, maybe other brands ARE a lot heavier, huh?

I lean forward when I play, and lean back(in comfort) when I lay out. As far as managing the backrest flopping open when you transport, that little strap on the side snaps on and you are squared away. I like to take care of my back. Only thing I wish, is that the back rest was actually contoured a little.

Thom with steelseat.com gives about the best prices out there, so check with him before ya buy. Smile He will custom make one for your needs.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 3:12 am    

I'll have to cast my vote for the backrest!... I have a Walker seat which IMO is the best I've ever seen or sat on. I've had it about 5 or 6 years now and it gets set up and then folded down at least 4 or 5 nights a week and it's still as sturdy as the day I got it. I'm 6'4" tall and I remember my old ShoBud seat and how when playing for long periods of time I'd wind up slouching over and have severe back pain after a gig. The backrest eliminates that. I lean on it throughout the entire gig. I also play lead guitar and just set behind my steel with the guitar on and the backrest really helps with that too.........JH in Va.

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 4:18 am    

I have a seat with backrest and I found it to be a little awkward to carry,I managed to put a few scratches on My car.I removed the backrest and did not notice any discomfort or change in posture when playing.I wondered if I ever used the backrest.
Billy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 5:49 am    

I've been using seats with backrests for about 20 years and wouldn't want to go back to one without it.

I've built some seats and they all had backrests using boat seat hinges. The back was set for optimum position. I'm now using a Steeler's Choice "sidekick" with seat back. The ones with the seat back are a tad heavier but worth it.
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 6:34 am    

I have a Steelseat with back rest and a Walker seat with back rest. My arthritic back appreciates the back support, but my bottom likes my 25+ year old Casseet without it the best. They are all very well made,and the Walker seat is really nice looking but more and softer padding please.