| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA Awards. Don't Hold Your Breath.
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2008 3:45 pm    

What does a pedal steel player have to do to win this `prestigious`(SQUMS) award?

click here

Arch.

Last edited by Archie Nicol R.I.P. on 9 Nov 2008 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2008 4:02 pm    

Thanks Archie,
I guess to be nominated is a success story in the steel guitar world.
I'm proud of Paul and he's a winner with or without the CMA Award.
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2008 5:45 pm     Paul

Theresa, Ain't it the truth! For some of us older ones that remember the 60's in Nashville we saw that "success story in the making". Done real well hasn't he. You've every right in being a very proud sister. Fred
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2008 6:19 am    

I'm sure the nominees are greatful for the award but the method of just a quick announcement off camera sort of makes it look like .."OH and oh yeah for Musician of the year"..I'm reminded how easy the award was for the CMA members years ago with out front names like Chet Atkins,Roy Clark and Floyd Cramer to pick from..I doubt if the voting members ever read the liner notes othat show the efforts of the true "in the trenches" studio musicians who are responsible for hit after hit.. Sad
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2008 6:32 am    

Might be time for a re-order of these bumper stickers...

John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2008 7:46 am    

Ha has to turn into a great dobro player. chek out history on Jerry Douglas. JOhn
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2008 8:25 am    

I think the recognition of Jerry Douglas having won the the thing three times in the past several years has everything to do with the fact he became a permanent member of Alison Krauss & Union Station in 1998.

At that point, his genius on the dobro started being recognized by a wider audience.

Except for touring with Dire Straits a number of years ago, Paul has for the most part been a session guy, so he just doesn't have the public visibility, and voters (even though they supposedly work in the country music industry) don't really get to see the genius part.

Regular guitar pickers have won the thing when Jerry Douglas hasn't in recent years, but the key here is that they are playing regular guitar, an easy instrument to which one can relate. In the past 10 years or so, if it hasn't been Jerry it has been guitarists, except for Pig Robbins in 2000 on piano. There was a string there for awhile of Mark O'Connor and Johnny Gimble on fiddle before that.

None of this truly explains why Paul hasn't won the thing at least once, but maybe this is the year.

And as far as Jim's humorous bumper sticker about the CMA Awards being wrong again - Paul should have won by now - but it's pretty hard to argue with guys like Jerry, Brent Mason, Dan Huff, and Randy Scruggs...it certainly doesn't fall into the voting for political office category of "lesser of two evils."

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2008 8:24 pm    

I'm feel as I'm taking a risk, saying this out loud, but... it only costs $50 to join the CMA. A lot of the average folks just vote the "I've heard of him/her" or the "I remember them from last year" ticket.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 5:59 am    

Mikey thats a good idea, I've never thought of it before. Theresa, I'm not related to him but I'm proud of him too.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 7:22 am    

Michael Douchette wrote:
I'm feel as I'm taking a risk, saying this out loud, but... it only costs $50 to join the CMA. A lot of the average folks just vote the "I've heard of him/her" or the "I remember them from last year" ticket.

Well there you go - fits in perfectly with my post. Mostly people who are players of and fans of the steel guitar are the ones that know who the great players are. The average John and Jane Doe that listens to Rascal Flatts wouldn't have much of a clue, and they might even be disc jockeys for a "today's hot country!" radio station, and have voting rights with the CMA. As far as the dobro, Jerry Douglas has done a lot to put the instrument on the map in "modern" times. But I have had several people come up to me in that past when I'm playing the dobro, and they will ask "who is that famous dobro player that plays with Alison Krauss - he's really something!" At least they now know what a dobro is - which is real progress - but mostly they know that he's the guy that plays with Alison, and can't quite come up with his actual name.

Seeing as how I'm a guy who plays the occasional smaller gig along with being a member of a church band, spending the $50 would do little or nothing for me, except having voting rights - and if money weren't so tight in my household these days, maybe I'd consider it just to spend a few bucks to help support the CMA and actually have a vote.

It sounds a little like when they gave the vote back to the fans for naming players to the baseball all-star game many years ago. Sometimes a guy will get voted into the starting lineup because he had been a star at some point in his career, but now is in the "twilight," or sometimes a player will be voted in because there's a big push in his city to load up the ballot box.

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 5:13 pm     Re:

I never won any awards and i have lots of friends in low places.Wait.
Let me think this over as that doesn't sound quite right.Mad
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 5:27 pm    

Quote:
but the key here is that they are playing regular guitar, an easy instrument to which one can relate.

Relate, maybe.

Easy, no.

"Regular" guitar is no easier to play *well* than steel, and the guys who are at the top of that category are not deserving of being slighted for supposedly playing an "easy" instrument.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 5:45 pm    

I think he meant 'easy to relate to'. A little sensitive on the subject, Jim? Winking
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2008 7:14 pm    

yeah...really...jeezus jones, Jim! Whoa!

I could have probably done a little better job on how I arranged the words in that sentence, but nobody - and I mean nobody - has any greater respect for fine players of "regular" guitar than I do! I'm an off-and-on guitar player, and I struggle.

A couple years ago during a weekend dobro seminar put on here in Sonoma County by Jimmy Heffernan we all had dinner at a favorite brewpub in Healdsburg, and I asked Jim what he thought was the hardest instrument to play. Now bear in mind that Jim is a master dobro player, a fine steeler (he has toured with Brad Paisley, Joe Diffie, and others), and he is very strong on guitar, bass, and God knows what else.

His answer to my question: They're all hard

My point was simply that John and Jane Doe can relate to a regular guitar easier than any number of other instruments - pretty obvious, since it is no doubt the most popular musical instrument in the world (or at least the western world).

Not to mention that in the last paragraph of that post I brought up by name guitar playing winners in the past 9-10 years Brent Mason, Dan Huff, and Randy Scruggs.

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 6:25 am    

From the AP

Toby Keith: Country Music Association 'Screwed Me'

Toby Keith's new album, That Don't Make Me a Bad Guy, debuted at No. 1 on the country charts last week and he was named the top-earning country star by Forbes this year. But the singer says he still gets no respect from the country music industry.

And so, on Wednesday, he will once again skip the Country Music Association Awards.

"I know everybody is going to say it's sour grapes, but I don't care – it's not," the singer tells PEOPLE. "I haven't been to a CMA Awards show in four years. They screwed me 'till I finally saw the light."

Keith has been nominated for 27 CMAs, but has won only two – one for video of the year in 2005 and one for male vocalist of the year in 2001. After going away empty-handed in 2003 and 2004 – despite receiving a total of 13 nominations – Keith told reporters he was done with the show and accused the CMA of playing politics.

As further evidence of his beef with the CMA, Keith notes that other fan favorites, such as Rascal Flatts and Tim McGraw, were also shut out this year. (Flatts did receive one nomination, for vocal group.)

"You do your own math on that and figure out what you think about that show," Keith says.

CMA spokesman Scott Stem wouldn't comment directly on Keith's criticisms but did say, "We love Toby, we love Rascal Flatts and we love Tim. They are all superstars."

Still, Keith, who is estimated to have raked in $48 million last year (putting him just behind the Police and Beyoncé Knowles on the Forbes list of all music stars), says he'll take his rich-list billing over an industry award any day.

"That's the one I want to win," he says. "I want to be the Mac Daddy of Forbes!"

(http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20239430,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines)
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 7:14 am    

Quote:
As further evidence of his beef with the CMA, Keith notes that other fan favorites, such as Rascal Flatts and Tim McGraw, were also shut out this year. (Flatts did receive one nomination, for vocal group.)

When I was much younger, I thought awards shows were about rewarding one's artistry. What happened to that? Now it's, "I should win because I sold X number of units, etc." I will not miss any of them tonight on the show. Actually, it would be quite refreshing NOT to see them - they're already hugely overexposed.
Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 7:31 am    

What does swinging down out of the cellin with a cowboy hat and boots on and a guitar hung to your shoulder have to do with Country Music,,I like what Ole Faron Young said about the New Country Music",,Frank Sinarta,,could come to Bradlys barn and record" Your Cheatin' Heart " under the Nashville sound,,and be voted "Entertainer Of The Year" on the next C M A awards,,and let's not forget how "Ole Waylon" put it,,"They told me this was suppose to be a big deal,,wonder what in he-- they ment", lol,,
Tom Harris
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 6:17 pm    

Thanks to George Strait, Mike Daly (sp?) got in a nice steel break. Up to that point the most entertaining part was the commercials. Congrats to George on the award for Troubador.

Most of the rest of the show sounds like Bachman Turner Overdrive at the Stadium in the mid '70's.

What's with Lady Antebellum's navel anyway?
Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 7:34 pm    

Ray,,don't think I could have said It better,I watched It till I couldn't handle anymore..
Tom Harris
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 8:08 pm    

does anybody remember back when hank jr. was winning the video awards for all the hot chicks and such...he whined, 'ya know, i do audio, too..!!' then he disappeared forever!
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2008 11:15 pm    

I think Mike Daly just set the record for the most steel guitar heard on an awards show (all acts combined). Great solo, great player.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 1:33 am    

Paul, unfortunately, was shut out again.

But congratulations to Mac MacAnally for winning - one of those guys that does it all: singer, songwriter, producer, and a fine guitar picker.

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 4:19 am    

You know, I sat here trying to type what I was thinking and couldn't find the right words. Bottom line, I am so disappointed with the whole CMA thing any longer that I don't really care to even watch it. Kid Rock should take his xxx back where he belongs and stay there. It sure isn't in County Music. Maybe he should take a couple others from that show last night with him when he goes.
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 5:30 am    

Dave, I gotta agree with you. I saw a lot of styles of music on the show, but almost none that could be considered "country". It's a new day and the music we love is history. Thank god we have recordings we can listen to and shows like Scotty's and others to attend.
I watched the whole thing, (I was a captive audience in bed recovering from surgery)and was very disappointed. There was one moment of hope when I thought they were giving a tribute to Jerry Reed but it turned out they only showed his picture for about five seconds and quickly went to Rascal Flatts, I guess afraid the audience would tune out if they spent any more time on Jerry..........
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2008 5:38 am    

Well I did not watch the
C.(contemporary)M.(music)A.(awards)last night. My wife was watching it so I told her if anything "country" comes on to holler at me so I can watch. I never heard from her............ Greg
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!