| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Online Sources For Metal and small stuff
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 11:40 am    

I've been ordering aluminum bars and odds & ends from SmallParts.com. I just found this site:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm
and it would seem that I'm paying as much as triple the price at smallparts as I would here for things such as 1/4" X 1/2" 6061 aluminum bar! unless I'm missing something in my comparison.
So---are there any other good sites for small orders? Also I need to source stuff like set screws & cap screw etc. I'm now thinking that I'm overpaying for that, too, at smallparts.

This is all for steel related projects.
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 2:20 pm    

I buy a lot of various machine tools such as milling cutters, drills, taps, and machinery---lathes milling machines drill presses, micrometers, gauges, etc. from---- www.wttool.com ---- They sell both American and foreign made, the choice is yours.

They also have good prices on setscrews, nuts, bolts, of all kinds & sizes. They sell some steel, tool steel, etc. as well.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 3:37 pm    

Thanks. Good link. That's a start.
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 5:00 am    

You might check out big salvage yards in your area for different kinds of metals. Many carry new steel & aluminum as well as what they salvage.

There is a salvage yard in Columbus Ind. (Kroot corporation) where I live that has a special area where they sort aluminum, brass, copper, etc. and the sell it at a fraction of the cost of new material.
They also sell new steels such as I beams, channel iron, bar stock etc.
Curtis Alford

BastropTexas, USA 78602
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 6:33 am     Metal Scources

Jon,
You might look at this website they carry many items.
www.mcmasters.com
Bill Ridgeway

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 6:43 am     Metal Sources

http//speedymetals.com has a very large selection of all materials, and will custom cut stock to length.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 9:10 am    

I work in shipping and receiving at a mechanical engineering department at a University. I am not an engineer myself but the places we receive orders from the most are:
McMasters
Online metals
Small Parts
and Occasionally.... Graingers. I'd give Graingers a good look, if nothing else their catalog is a good reference book

As someone who used to build machines out of metal parts i found the cheapest sources were scrap metal places and that very rare mom and pop old fashioned hardware/junk store. There is usually one in every medium sized town, but they are becoming rarer and rarer these days.

edit: Jon you are in Brooklyn? There are a couple really good scrap metal places on or near Canal Street in manhattan. And my favorite junk/scrap/weird parts store in the world is in Kingston, NY. P and T surplus? (I think was the name).

Last edited by Ben Jones on 5 Nov 2008 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 10:28 am    

double post. not sure how that happened.

Last edited by Ben Jones on 5 Nov 2008 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 12:30 pm    

I'm in bizniz now. Great collection of sources. Totally forgot about Grainger. They've saved my butt on numerous occasions at work. I'm too lazy to pound the pavement doing the salvage shop thing. plus, when I need something, I need specific sizes. I'm not equipped to do anything more than the most rudimental cutting. Ben--I could be wrong but I think that the days of cool shops like that around Canal are gone gone gone. Used to be a plastics shop, a rubber shop, and yes, I remember a metal shop just south of Canal. The others are history and I expect the same of the metal joint. Much easier paying $50/sq.ft. rent selling sushi than selling scrap.
Thanks everyone.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 1:08 pm    

Aw man, I am truly saddened to hear that gentrification has hit even Canal street!
There were a couple of those plastic places and one of em supposedly had an illegal gambling operation goin on in the back room, cards, dice etc. What a bummer. The city was already starting to loose its soul when I left in 2001, if canal street has gone disney, it must be REALLY bad now. Sad
Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2008 11:04 am    

Try ebay.... Very Happy
Lamar Colvin

Havana, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2008 4:54 pm    

Try Yarde Metals at www.yarde.com. Click on "Drop zone". They sell cut-offs on-line at reduced prices.
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2008 1:42 am    

Try ENCO, Inc. They have a website from which you can order online and their deliveries are astonishingly fast. They also handle stainless steel screws and nuts. Their website is ---www.useenco.com. Their entire catalog can be viewed from there. If ENCO doesn't have it, you would have to go to another supplier like Central Steel and Wire out of Chicago. But for the common bar stock sizes, stainless shafting, stainless hardware, etc., ENCO is tops. Prices are very reasonable also.
PRR