| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Carter Starter
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2008 12:54 pm    

Hey Guys, I have noticed quite a few Carter Starters for sale lately, I was curious what everyones oppinion of these guitars is. Are they worthy of gigging with, do they stay in tune well,I would like to hear your thoughts about these guitars.
Thanks in advance. Chuck
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2008 8:31 pm    

OK, I'll be first. Can you gig with one? Yes. Do they stay in tune? About as good as most pedal steels.Do they play as good as a pro-model? No. Not even close. Do they sound as good as a pro model? Not as good as most. Are they the best entry model? Not for my money. Are they worth what they cost? Yes.

Maybe this will get things started. I'm sure others will offer opinions.......bb
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 11:39 am    

Do a search (if you can get it to work properly for you) for CARTER STARTER and you will find at least a weeks worth of info.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 1:31 pm    

I'll agree with Bobby on this. There will be differences of opinion roughly divided along the lines of:
A. It's great to have an affordable easy-to-obtain starter model to help beginners ease into steel with the least financial outlay.
B. You shouldn't start without the best sounding/playing/feeling instrument you can afford, to avoid becoming discouraged.

Similar to the ShoBud Maverick of days of yore, (although with 3 more knee levers) The CS is a functional, playable alternative to usually much more expensive guitars, and like the Maverick, can get a student to the point where they'll appreciate the ammenities of a better instrument when time comes to move up.
Most of the ones I've seen have a badly designed stop on one knee lever that makes it easy to bend or over-extend, but which is easily fixable. Other than that, very serviceable, although not as toneful as almost any more professional guitar.
Kudos to Carter for making them available!
Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 3:34 pm    

Bobbe Seymour has uploaded a YouTube video of the Carter Starter. Please click on the link below to view and judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa849ZUO9jA

Donny
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 3:45 pm    

"Most of the ones I've seen have a badly designed stop on one knee lever that makes it easy to bend or over-extend, but which is easily fixable."

-this was the case with the one I breifly had. However I have heard that this design flaw was corrected several years ago. It would be nice to have that confirmed as I think this guitar has done alot to bring people into the psg world and it would be nice to be able to recommend it to beginners without reservation.
Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 4:05 pm    

get one for the tone

tone per dollar quotient can't be beat
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 4:49 pm    

I'll bet the carter is very good, but personally i'd opt for a nice used single neck, and pay the exstra money. I had an emmons student model, and i even toured with it, nobody knew any different, but looking back, i sure stepped up when i bought an MSA used for $900.00.
Are you serious about pedal guitar?? [YES] buy a nice carter 'used' for about double the money, and it will last forever, tone is gold!

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 4:59 pm    

I had one, wish I still did as a backup/practice/beater guitar. If your not sure if steel is for you they are the way to go. If you are experienced you'll probably hate it. They sound good but you gotta fight harder for clean lever and pedal changes.

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2008 6:32 pm    

Don't judge ANY guitar that is played by Mr. Seymore,He could play a two by four strung with haywire and sound good.DYKBC.