| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for the Texas Steel Players
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2008 2:44 pm    

Just wondering how busy the Texas players are in bands.
Are there many places to play? Bands that need steel players? Do you all stay busy with 2 or 3 night gigs per week?
Seems like looking at websites of the Texas bands it's mainly one night per week...
Richard Marko

Dallas, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2008 5:11 pm    

Duane - I can only talk for myself but I'm only a weekend warrior and have always found work for 2 sometime 3 day gigs a week.
I knew of some bands local to Dallas that did do it for a living but haven't seen or heard of them lately.
As with most areas we have the common known club circuits with a few private and corporate jobs.
I also was in a house band in Northen Texas (Wichita Falls) and never had a problem working there but the lead player did join the band due to "full time" gigging bands disappearing.
It is difficult for a new band to start out here due to the club circuit having their Favorites and rotating them.
The designated area where you play and live means alot also - here is an example :

If you want to play in Dallas area you need to have a top 40 style and rock.
If you want to play in Ft. Worth area you need to have a more western swing style and format.
The rest of Texas pretty much accepts all.

When I left one band and posted myself on a couple of sites I found work within 2 weeks and still have others calling looking for a steel player.
I find this odd due to the fact there are so many steel players in Texas.
I know only of two that steel for a living.

Hope I answered your question.

Rich
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2008 11:02 am    

I generally freelance, and play with several different bands/singers in the Austin area. A good month for me is 8 to 10 gigs, a slow month 3 or 4. I'm certainly not a first call 'A Team' guy around here, there are plenty of better players, but I manage to stay busy. Fortunately, I have a flexible day gig where I can go out for a few days at at time if I want/need to, so that gets me some work other 'day gig' guys have to turn down.

With the exception of the full time guys that work with the regional and pro acts that are based in this area, if you play with one band you'll be lucky to work a 3 or 4 times a month. I'm talking about my experience with the weekend bands here, I'm sure there are some exceptions.

The Austin thing is a lot different from Dallas/FW where I grew up and played for many years. The 'freelance' approach is generally acceptable to most band leaders, although there are some that still want a 'commitment'. In those cases, I just decline. For some strange reason, a lot of times I get hired anyway. I like the idea that I can just say no to those questionable gigs.

My pal Jim Stringer here in Austin, a great guitar player and just all around good guy, has my favorite quote on the Austin Music scene. To paraphrase.. "There's only one band in Austin, and everybody plays in it."
Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 11:51 am    

Lately, this weekend warrior has been playing every Saturday, with a Sunday or two sprinkled in each month. Those jobs are in the San Antonio area.
Danny Crelin

Wylie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 2:38 pm    

We usually do 3 to 4 nights a week.... Except for now as our singer is getting ready to have anothe baby..... Well not him but his wife!

www.elevenhundredsprings.com
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 2:43 pm    

I play with Billy Mata 95% of the time. We play all over with San Antonio as a hub and do around 6-8 gigs a month. I don't know of anyone doing a 2-3 nights a week gig in the same place every week.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 3:09 pm     Duane, it sound like heaven there compared to here.

I can make up my own gigs over here on the Kitsap Penninsula if I want to play a single or duo, but only 2 to 5 a month 4+piece band unless I want to play for free. The question is how is it over there on your side of the mountains.

Wayne
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 5:50 pm    

Wayne, over here in Eastern Washington, I'm with a band that plays almost every weekend, both Friday and Saturday nights. Only reason that we dont play every weekend is cause the lead singer and drummer dont want to play that much.
There are several Eagles, VFW's and bars that promote true traditional country and western music-which is what the band I'm in plays. We travel in and around the Spokane area. We do the regular fairs and festivals once in a while too..
Anyway, back to Texas....
David Kurrasch

Royse City, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2008 7:05 pm    

I guess I'm lucky to be working for an artist who works 3 or 4 shows per week. The live music scene has sure changed a lot around Dallas and Fort worth since I started playing back in the late 80s- early 90s. Back then there were a dozen or so bars that had live music 5 or 6 nights per week. There were lots of bands making a decent living without ever having to leave town. While most of those gigs are long gone now, Texas still has a thriving original music scene. There are lots of bands doing well on the "Texas country" circuit. It does seem that the good gigs get fewer every year, but I've managed to do this for a living for about 18 years now, and I plan on doing it as long as I can get away with it!
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 7:21 am    

There are places to play but many have dropped down to only two nights with Saturday typically being the good night.

Attendance and pay are also way down at many clubs where owners are hiring bands they would have never hired in the past just because they are willing to accept very low pay to play the club.

Most clubs want bands who play primarily top 40 although there are a handful who only want bands who play older more traditional country.

Times are the worst I've seen them in many years so if you are considering trying to make a living at music I would suggest supplementing it with a good day job with all the benefits you can get.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2008 6:52 pm    

The band I am with, Greg Kent and the Lonely Road Band, play 2 to 3 gigs a week which entails a little travel, but none that requires overnight stays. The money is better than I ever made in my alledged hayday. Jody.
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 7:59 am    

I will be playing the following places.....................................
October 3rd, 2008 Friday Night -
Masonic Lodge 727 Mary Ln Hurst Texas
Open to the public-open mic night

PEPPER MILL LOUNGE
6825 East Lancaster Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76112
Open to the public.......................
Neighborhood: Ft Worth East Side
Cuisine: Rest-Bar
Live Music: Saturday Oct 25th, 2008
8:00 pm to 2:00 pm
The Shawn Crowe Band.
http://www.myspace.com/shawncrowe

October 10th Friday Night - VFW White Settlement Rd Ft Worth TX 8:00 to 12:00 open to the public........................

October 17th, 2008 - Friday Night - Masonic Lodge 727 Mary Ln Hurst Tx Open to the public.......................

October 18th, 2008 Saturday Night - Private Party - AASP & RC Convention Shilo Inn & Suites Ballroom in Kileen Tx - Kaufman County Line www.myspace.com/kaufmancountyline

Friday October 31st - Halloween Night - American Legion Kaufman Tx - Halloween Party - Kaufman County Line www.myspace.com/kaufmancountyline Open to the public..........................
Roy Glaze

Blessing, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 8:31 am    

Living here in the Austin area I guess I am lucky to play as much as I do. I freelance like Bill Terry said he does. Kinda first come, first serve. Most of the gigs are on Fridays and Saturdays, but some weekday ones as well. Like Jim Stringer said, we are all one big band here in Austin. I play for Jim regularly. Here are some of the other acts I play with when they need me. Two Hoots and a Holler, The Cornell Hurd Band, Jason Arnold and the Stepsiders, Dane Sterling, Burnett/Jones Band. I still have a day job to pay the bills, though.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 10:27 am    

Hi Roy,Hope everything is going well for you. Jody.
Roy Glaze

Blessing, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 11:23 am    

Hello Jody,
Everything is good here. Been picking a lot and really having fun. Sounds like you have been playing a lot, also. I'm still thinking about getting me a lefty Pedalmaster. I've heard they are a great guitar. I wish we didn't live so far away. I'd like to hear you play sometimes. Have a good one.
Roy
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 2:18 am    

Roy. You will love a Pedalmaster. Jody.
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 2:47 am    

Duane,
You will find this to be an "area" thing. The larger the city, the more jobs in most cases. No area is as good as it was up to the 70's, in my opinion.
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 9:33 pm     Gigs

I Play with several Bands 2, 3, 4 , Times a Week, Low Pay During The week and Decent Money On The weekend .This Past Week Thursday $60.00 Sat $100.00 Sunday $175.00,I Mostly Play Because I Love The Music, More Than The Money, Randy. Winking
Billy McCoy

Ft. Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 11:54 pm     Working often

work depends on if you are working with a local band or a regional band based out of Texas OR a freelance musician.

I stay busy all the time...but I do a lot of corporate events along with regional artists and session work.

It makes a difference if you can play a secondary instrument and can play different styles as well.

In conclusion...business is good. There is work available to the guys who hustle to get it.

Grandpa used to tell me..."Make Hay while the sun shines". I never really understood that till I got out on my own and started playing music for a living...
Confused

B

MSA Millennium 2 D10, Walker Stereo Steel, Stone Tree Custom Tele, Tom Anderson Hollow "T", Brian Moore I-Guitar, Bad Cat (Trem Cat 30w), Fender Evil Twin and POD HD 500