| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use delay in place of reverb?
Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 11:58 am    

The No Effects thread got me thinking about this. On guitar I usually prefer a little delay in place of reverb, because it sits in the mix better. The solid state Peavey amps that I'm using right now sound better to me with reverb than without, and it fits the style of music I'm playing better anyway (country and country rock). Anyone ditch the reverb for delay when playing pedal steel? If so, what kind of music are you playing and what's the rig you're using?
Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 1:20 pm    

I generally prefer delay over reverb. Not only on steel.
When i use reverb it's mostly spring reverb.
Both is to be used with care though.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 3:37 pm    

I don't use reverb, just delay, not heavy, just a single repeat. Reverb tends to change the basic tone too much for me, delay sounds cleaner. That's my basic "country" sound, if it's more "pop" sounding, I might add some chorus, rock or blues get some overdrive. I usually use a DD-3 for delay.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2008 4:55 pm    

I only use reverb when playing surf music on my Jag. Steel and everything else I use delay on...usually two or more analog delays with low-level repeats at different rates. Huge sound, affects all frequencies (not just the highs like most reverb) and never sounds muddy.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 4:15 am    

Timely thread for me: I AM currently "ditching" the reverb in favor of delay. I picked up an MXR "Carbon Copy" analog delay stomp box and I'm lovin' it! Set with just 1 to 1 1/2 repeats, way back there, kinda "slap back".

This unit will modulate the repeat if you set it to. If you use it real wet, the modulation really brings out bar/string noise and makes a goofy artifact. Otherwise the modulation is a part of the sound of this that I like.

Like others have mentioned, it's cleaner, less mud.

Still using just the smallest amount of amp 'verb for now, though.

To answer you question, Jason, this is E9 through a reissue twin. Both original alt-country and traditional country. The delay used sparingly hasn't sounded "wrong" with anything so far, IMO.
Joel Meredith

Portland,Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 10:35 am    

Yeah, I only use delay and I play solid state Peavey amps. I generally dislike the sound of reverb, but that's just me...
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 2:41 pm    

I only use delay on my Telecaster - just enough so I know its there. My favorite is the Danecho from Danelectro - it's well made and sounds closer to an Echoplex than about anything I've heard. I prefer spring reverb for steel.
John Jeffries

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 3:45 pm    

I do not use reverb - I much prefer to use a touch of delay...very slight, just a bit of "slapback". I have an old Ibenez "soundtank" delay pedal, which seems to work as good as any....doesn't color the tone too much. I play a Jackson "Blackjack" 3&4 through an old Sho-Bud "Christmas Tree" amp, with a Hilton volume pedal. I also recently acquired a new "Freeloader" effect pedal from Brad Sarno, which I really like! It gives me the versatility to add a bit of brightness or "twang", or to get a mellower sound right at my fingertips (it clamps on the leg of the steel). It works differently than a tone control, in that it does not "roll off" tone frequencies - it regulates the impedence "load" of the pick-up which allows you tweak the tone controls on the amp and get a bit more (or less) "bite" or "presence" without the annoying mid-range "honk" or brittle highs....seems to sweeten up the sound a bit without compromising the tonal qualities of the steel.
Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 4:59 pm    

i use delay with just a smidgon of verb.To much verb sounds greasy
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 3:37 am    

like everyone else...just a touch of delay.
Carl Morris

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 8:15 am    

I use a bit of both at the same time. I gotta put in a plug here for what's probably the best feature on the Fender Cybertwin, which is the tape delay simulator. Crank up the wow/flutter on it, and turn down the treble on the echoes and I think it sounds really good with a bit of Fender reverb on top. It has an option for standard mono, or stereo where the echoes go from side to side. With the wow/flutter turned up that means each echo is slightly detuned which creates a nice mild but sweet chorus effect in addition to the delay effect. Everything that's good about the old tape delay units without all the maintenance and hassle.

On the downside, while there's a lot of mojo in the old blackface look, it would sure be handy if they had made the head unit in a 19" rackmount form factor, even if they had to do it without a power amp section.
Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 8:47 am    

Cool, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to start fooling with my current steel setup to see if I can make the delay-only thing work for me, at least for some things.

I've heard good things about the Carbon Copy delay, I'll need to track one of those down. My current favorite delay for steel is actually a Build Your Own Clone. Nice dark repeats that blend with the tone very well.

Jim, do run the two delays at the same time?
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2008 9:33 am    

Count me in, too: No reverb, and delay most of the time (for faster tunes, usually just a very small amount of very short slapback).

I like the Line 6 Echo Park. Cheap, tough, and it sounds good. It has a setting for a modulated echo for that Bill Frisell sound.
Ron !

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2008 10:15 am    

Must make me different from everyone replying here.I use Reverb AND a tat delay.
To me the depth in the tone is very important.I play a lot of older style Country and Western and do a lot of recording sessions.To me the Reverb favors the delay by a mile.

Ron
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2008 4:38 pm    

I use a little slapback and a little reverb, adjusting either for clarity depending on the room. I keep the echo near and increase it or decrease it as needed for the song style.