| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnny Cox / Jody Nix
Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2008 5:03 am    

I had the pleasure of seeing the Jody Nix band perform at the Cowboy Gathering in Durango, Colorado last Saturday. The band is absolutely great - Texas dance music with superb twin fiddles, a great rhythm section and Mr. Johnny Cox playing his new Jackson steel guitar. Johnny was playing through a Boss delay pedal and a Session 400 and getting the best steel guitar tone I've heard in recent memory. I've only heard John play at steel guitar shows in the past, but in this format he gets a chance to stretch out and he really shines.
If any of you Forumites get a chance to see this band, you should because they are the real deal. Take the time to talk to John about his new guitar too. He's a real gentleman and this is a great guitar.
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2008 7:02 am     Johnny Cox

In my mind Johnny is without a doubt one the true legendary steel guitarists. Bob, you are correct in stating that as great as he plays at the shows, he is just plain incredible in those live bands where he just blows everyone away!

The Jackson Steels are wonderful guitars but I've heard Johnny kick butt on many different steel brands and play with incredible tone feel. It doesn't even bother him even when the copedent is totally different!!

About 4 years ago, Corky Owens, Gary Carpenter and I were in Abilene, TX for a steel show and JC dropped by on his way back to Dallas from Jody Nix show. I convinced him to play my 79 Zum and after he finished playing a set, I didn't even want to go up and play because I knew the beautiful tone would not happen with me playing it!!

Johnny is a one of a kind player and super person...you too Joan! Very Happy
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2008 8:33 am    

Bill S. you're selling yourself shorter than deserved. I was at that show and you gave more than a better account of yourself. Of course you know that Dumplin had the nerve to 'detune' your horn and never put it back where you had it Laughing Laughing

He also had the great Robert Weeks with him and what a set that was. And to think I get to hear them everytime they make it back to here, their home station. Jody has brought together one of the best Western Swing bands working any circuit. The epitome of good Swing music. Has to be the best band I've heard in a long time.

Johnny's even improved more since he's been playing live and the people here love this organization.

Jody stayed with his daddy, Hoyle's, music when several of the bands went in some other direction. He still stands his ground for true Western Swing and he'll probably have clods rattlin' on his boards before he leaves it.

phred

Think about it!!