| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seven strings for C6 tuning question
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 6:21 pm    

Hi,
a friend of mine has aquired a seven string lap steel and wants to learn how to play. He plays standard guitar but is a beginer on steel guitar. I suggested that he learn the C6 tuning as it's versatile and there's a lot of instructional material available, but what would be the best thing to do with the seventh string?
I would be inclined to tune to guitar low to high like this to get a low voicing for Am : A-C-E-G-A-C-E.
But I am sure that some people would opt for this to get a high voicing for C: C-E-G-A-C-E-G.

Any good advice on how to apply seven strings for the C6 tuning?

Thanks!
Cliff
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 6:26 pm     WHY NOT try this?

This is a very flexible tuning.........provided you plan to play melody lines and fills:

TOP to bottom:

E C A G E C# C

Don't play the C# & C together, obviously.

You can hear the affect on JerryByrd-FanClub.com
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 10:06 pm    

I would also prefer the C6/A7 combination, but; you might also consider lowering str. #7 to a Bb under the C on #6 for a C13:
Lo – Hi: Bb~C~E~G~A~C~E
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 5:32 am    

I play C6/A7 on 6-string, but I'm thinking that adding a seventh string A would give a big major triad on the bottom, and a root to the A7 and A minor shapes....
John Bechtel

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 8:58 am    

More or less ‘leaving/adding-to’ a 6-str., why not just go to 8-strings and enjoy it all?
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 9:36 am    

Hi John:
He has a seven string guitar. I have an eight string guitar that I tune low to high: G-A-C-E-G-A-C-E. I like it for the low Am and the low fifth tone for C, but after reading Ray's post I may put a C# in there.

Thanks,
Cliff
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 10:49 am     Re: Seven strings for C6 tuning question

Cliff Kane wrote:

I would be inclined to tune to guitar low to high like this to get a low voicing for Am : A-C-E-G-A-C-E.
But I am sure that some people would opt for this to get a high voicing for C: C-E-G-A-C-E-G.

I think they're both good. The low voicing will give a guitar player some of those low notes they might find missing in a standard 6-string C6 tuning.

OTOH, in the high voicing, the addition of a high G string will give a nice major chord on top and bottom like standard dobro tuning. Heck you might even think about lowering the high voicing to G, which gives a variation of open G like so:
G-B-D-E-G-B-D.

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 11:40 am    

If the guy is just a beginner, don't get carried away with numerous tunings. A straight C6th should get him going, with a bit of help. Once he gets familiar with the fretboard he may want to expand on the tuning.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 11:46 am    

TW, that tuning would be pretty easy for a guy who's switchin' over from 6-string!
JB
John Bechtel

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 6:53 pm    

Since I've also played C6 on PSG for years, I use the Byrd C6/A7 tuning on my 8-str. non-pedal. This is quite novel and effective also! Lo to Hi: Lo-A~C~C#~E~G~A~C~E That 8th. string is an octave below what you might expect. That gauge is either .068w or .070w! You can turn a few heads, once in a while!
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 10:16 am    

John Billings wrote:
TW, that tuning would be pretty easy for a guy who's switchin' over from 6-string!
JB

Yup! Just G's D's and E's, nothing you don't have in a straight-up standard 6-string.

I've actually gone with B6 (1/2 step below C6) on my lap steels because it give me the root on the B string which means I can find major chords without thinking about it. Also, on PSG with the E strings lowered it's the same B6 tuning, which means I can switch from lap steel to pedal steel without having to think about it.

On my dobro, I have open G for much the same reason, I can find the major chord from the 6th and 3rd string G's without thinking.

Very important, this not thinking thing! Mr. Green If I had a 7-string I'm certain I'd go with G-B-D-E-G-B-D.

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 12:14 pm    

There is the 7 string version of the C6 version of Billy Hew Len's A6 tuning. Hi to lo (E-C-A-G-E-C#-Bb). There is also a truncation of Joaquin Murphey's 8 string C6 tuning. Hi to low (E-C-A-G-E-C#-(B)). If you're a chordal player, I'd think you'd want to try those. But I agree about the beginner staying with the straight C6 with the A on the bottom. My experience has shown me that it's best to add strings only when you understand a genuine need. Experiment as I might, I keep going back to 6 strings and a straight C6 (E-C-A-G-E-C). There are times when I could see a use, but not a need, for the low A.