| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions from a newbie
Bill Ridgeway

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:00 pm    

Is it of much advantage to put a 5th knee lever on a 3 pedal 10 string?
What are the major differences in Peavey Nashville amps and Sessions or the Bandit series. I don't plan to do gigs so would a NV 112 be a good choice for a home amp?
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:12 pm     amp.

Nashville 112 All The Way. SONNY.
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:17 pm    

Welcome Bill, to the steel guitar zone Whoa! I'm not technically up on the differences & stuff on those Amps you mentioned, but as a user, I would say that the N-112 can't be beat for a home amp, or away from home either for that matter. Cool As to the 5th lever, it has become almost a standard item in past few years, and gives you just that much more versatility in your playing. Matter of personal choice really, a lot of great players still don't use a 5th lever. (how's that for ambiguity!) Enjoy the Forum.........
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Bill Ridgeway

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 10:02 pm    

Thanks for the info guys, now to see if I can find a NV-112.
How does a sessions 400 or bandit 112 sound in comparison to the NV-112? I'm looking for a lower, mellow, warmer tone. This Crate I have sounds like the perverbial cans on a string. Playing ( or trying to) a Stage one through it so doubt it's the Gee tar.
Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 6:02 am    

Hey Bill,

Tomi here, I am a new member here as well....
Regarding to your question on difference between Session 400 and Nashville 112....

Session 400 sounds nice and melow. Although the amp is big and very heavy to carry around I have used one for the last 10 years and it cuts very nice with the band. Great tone !!

Nashville 112 , 80W, enough power , modern sound to suit todays needs. When you hear the steel on the radio (like Paul Franklin steel)- that's the sound you will get with Nashville 112. Very Sweet , like honey !
It is very well designed amp and light to carry, no modifications neccessary...Great in the studio , have been using it on a lots of recordings too.
Michel Rose from Sydney uses one and sounds million bucks...

Hope this helps a bit Bill....

If you want to hear real difference with Session and Nashville 112, please visit my web page on MySpace and Check the first song "She Broke Your Heart" by Karen O'Shea, that's Session 400 Limited, and the 3rd song "Nashville" is done with Nashville 112....

www.myspace.com/tomisteel

Let me know how you go !

Regarding the "5th vertical Knee Lever" on the E9th neck, off course , if you can put it on go ahead, if you can lower both 5th and 10th strings (B to Bb) you will find a lots of great use for it, Buddy Emmons did too!!!

Enjoy your steel guitar music Bill !
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 6:10 am    

The Bandit is a "lead guitar" amp and would sound like the Crate, not a Steel amp. Go for the Nashville 112, you won't regret it. If you want a new one call Bobbe Seymour www.steelguitar.net or check the Buy and Sell section of the forum as used ones come up for sale occasionally.

5 knee levers on the E9th neck is becoming "standard". My 5 knee setup is almost identical (except for raising the 7th string) to what the 5 knee "standard" setup is on new Carter's. www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com then click on Copedent.
Bill Ridgeway

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 6:59 am    

Thanks for the information Guys. Smile It's gonna be a NV 112 for me. Hope I can get to one of the good used ones on the forum. Ya gotta be quick though. Also am adding a RKR lever to the guitar.
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 6:54 pm    

Bill,

Where in AZ are you?

m.
Bill Ridgeway

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 4:52 am    

Hi Matthew, I'm in Goodyear, just off I-10 @ exit 124
Do you play gigs in AZ? I don't play at all, yet. Have recently purchased a Zum stage one in hopes of learning. Just received my Jeff Newman course the other day. Also purchased a B.D. Custom 3P/5L from eBay. It was a total wreck so am in the process of doing a complete rebuild. Bill
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 7:15 am    

Bill,

I am out on the other side of town. I do play in town, but just jumped bands to a newly formed band. I think our first show will be at The Stardust Lounge in September. That is in Glendale, Dunlop and 43rd.

You are starting off right with the Jeff Newman material. You can be ready in short order with the Bandstand Backup, Just Play The Melody and a course from Reese Anderson called the Missing Link. After that its a piece of cake.

I will keep you posted on upcoming gigs.

Rgds,
Matt
Bill Ridgeway

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 7:51 am    

Hey Matt,
Thanks for the gig info. Will probably drop over for one set at least. Appreciate knowing about future gigs too. Got a message from Brian Creamer saying that Wayne Paden is going to start holding lessons, not 1 on 1 But will give him a shot anyway. He is starting next Wed over in Tempe. A fer piece from here but????
Best Regards,

Bill
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 9:28 am    

You can't go wrong with Wayne. He is a club player so he knows what needs to be done to get by on stage. I have never been to see his lessons, but from what the other guys have told me is that his focus is on getting you working with a band.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 11:04 am    

if you're not going to do gigs, get a set of practice headphones.
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 1:19 pm    

Chris has a good point. Maybe a Line6 POD and some headphones and you will be in for months and months of good practice. When you are planning on playing out you will be more informed as one preson's ideal amp is not another's.

You don't even need the POD, but it give you some awesome sound. I bought one on Craigs List from a guy in Chandler for 90.00. You can get headphones for about 90.00 at guitar center. Then you can practice when you want and where you want. Just got to take into consideration the linkage noise if you have close quarters and want to pactice in the am.

I use a Line6 POD and head phones and never turn my amp on until I am onstage. I like to practice at 4am to get it out of the way for the day. The only time I don't practice is after shows.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 1:43 pm    

The 5th lever question and answers can be found here:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=140946

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2008 10:07 am    

Thanks again Matt, Would the Line 6 POD be the XT model? Small Red unit with several knobs? There are several on ebay of various prices, think I'll get one and take your advice about the headphones. Bill
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2008 10:12 am    

That's it, yes. I use the POD XT for practice with headphones all the time. Sometimes I hook it up on stage with my amp for the built-in effects. I've even performed without an amp by running the POD XT direct into the PA.