| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9th swing and theory
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 12:03 pm    

Hi everyone,

The band I have joined has introduced a 'swing'-ish number into their set list. I have an E9th SD10 3x5.
If I just lower my E's it seems like I really cant hit a wrong note Cool and I sound kinda "swingy".

I know so very little about theory and tunings.
My question is, what would the name of the tuning be with only your E's lowered? is it some kind of 6th?

any other comments on E9th swing would be welcome. I recently saw Jon Rauhouse doing some really nice swingy stuff on an E9th. He seemed to have that E lower pegged alot. Go see him if you get the chance btw, really really good band.
Thanks!
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 12:21 pm    

I am sure Herb Steiner will have some good advice on this subject.

The E lever to lower the Es to Eb gives you a B6th tuning.

It is one of my favorite things about the E9th, being able to get a lot of the C6th stuff on that neck.

Here is a key to getting a whole lot of milage out of the E9th neck:

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/allmyexs.html

That shows you a side by side comparison of the two tuning for one song.

I have a change that I lower the D to C# 9th string and use the A&B, this gives me 9 thru maybe the 4th string as an A6 tuning. The 9 thru 6 stings line up exactly and you can play those C6th patterns over those strings quite easily. Like Jeff Newmans OBAIL pattern.

m.
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 12:22 pm    

Ben, lowering the E's does put you basicly into a B6. This is how universal tunings work, usually with a locking device to hold the E's down to D#. Any minor chord is also part of a 6th chord, so you can use your B pedal to raise the B's to C# and have a 6th sound. Using the A and C pedals gives you a F# minor open and and can be used. For a nice application use the A and C pedal together over the I chord then move up 3 frets on the IV chord and you have psrt of a 9th chord or move it down 2 frets and you have a 9th chord over the I. On the E9th you can't really get the big full 6th and 9th chords, but there are definitely lots of possibilities for lead work.
We should probably get together over a beer or two and I could show you some of my bad habits.
Dave
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 1:52 pm    

Dave I would really welcome a sit down with you. I will supply the beer and would pay for a lesson Very Happy
I'll start with what may be a stupid question ...how on earth does one pedal A and C together? Shocked
Both feet?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 2:19 pm    

Quote:
Any minor chord is also part of a 6th chord, so you can use your B pedal to raise the B's to C# and have a 6th sound.

I expect that should read "A pedal"

Quote:
Using the A and C pedals gives you a F# minor open and and can be used.

I expect that should read "B and C pedals"

I think that beer is Dave's bad habit.

Just kidding Dave. There's nothing like the kind of voila moments you can get when working face to face with someone--for sure, take him up on that.

Swing in G, root position:

---e lever at the C (IV chord) position (8th fret)
---A pedal at G position (3rd fret)
---B&C pedals or A&B pedalsat D (V chord) position

This last one is, at open fret, an A6th chord. The 7th string is the 6th. The e lever and the BC/AB positions are very similar and can be interchanged or worked betwixt & between.

There is a slew of cool stuff to be learned here and there is a TON of swinging that can be done on E9. But I don't want to overwhelm this thread with pages of 'you can do this' and 'you can do that'. But you can.
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 2:53 pm    

Hey now, beer is a good habit. My bad habit is not ever thinking about what letter goes to what pedal. Well, that's one of them anyway. I was trying to get to the point of raising the G#'s to A and the high B and E to C# and F# giving you the II chord. At any rate there's a bunch of good C6th sounding things to do on the E9 neck.
Ben, my schedule looks to slow down a bit in the next few weeks so I'll send you a note and we'll figure out a get together.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 2:59 pm    

Yeah Jon, I was able to toss in a BC walkup (3,4,5)and walkdown (4,5,6)and that worked real well. I was just guessing and tossing stuff out there, surprising how much actually worked. I will give that A pedal at root a try when I get home. Thanks man.

"There's nothing like the kind of voila moments you can get when working face to face with someone--for sure, take him up on that."

-amen, and you bet Im gonna try and hold Dave to his offer...hehe Razz
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 3:01 pm    

Dave Harmonson wrote:
Hey now, beer is a good habit. My bad habit is not ever thinking about what letter goes to what pedal. Well, that's one of them anyway. I was trying to get to the point of raising the G#'s to A and the high B and E to C# and F# giving you the II chord. At any rate there's a bunch of good C6th sounding things to do on the E9 neck.
Ben, my schedule looks to slow down a bit in the next few weeks so I'll send you a note and we'll figure out a get together.

awesome! I wanna come see you and Zoe tomorrow but am not sure I am gonna be able to yet.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 4:02 pm     Swingish 49th

Ben,

Here is a little something I posted a while back. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=123054&highlight=beginners+notes Might have a look. I am interested in E9th swing also, so if you get something interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

All the best to you, DS