| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  knowing my steel
Jack Mattison

North Bend, Wa
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 11:58 am    

Well here goes....... I have not been at my D-10 8/5 ShoBud "profess." for maybe a year. Have learned alot in that year, not only from written material, but also from all the great players on this forum. But have been thinking about the make-up of the guitar itself. I don't know the terminolagy of parts of the instrument. Like I hear you guys talking about the changer, or the fingers, ect. I know what the keyhead is I know the rollers, I don't know what the correct name is for what tunes the pedals and levers [maybe tuneing nuts?]. I know what the barrels and cages are. So bottom line is ... If someday I wanted to tear this guitar down and do a complet cleaning and oiling, I should really know what I am doing so I can get it back together. When I was a auto mech. years ago..... And if I did an engine overhaul, I knew the name of the things I was taking apart and would lay them out acordingly. So guys and gals..... Is there anyone out there who can give me a list of the correct names of the parts of my guitar, taking into considaration that not all guitars are the same. I know someone will say don't worry about it at this time, just keep learing to play. But... someday its going to get down to having to do this to maintane my guitar, without having to send it off some where. So if someone can help me, it would really be appreciated. Thanks fellow steelers...... Jack<><
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 1:27 pm    

Jack, check this out.

Pedal Steel Guitar Illustrated
Jack Mattison

North Bend, Wa
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 6:40 pm     know my steel

Thanks Andy...... This helps me on some of the parts that I didn't know........ Jack<><
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 8:47 pm    

Something you would be glad you did, is take many digital pictures from many angles of all the parts, BEFORE you start to disassemble your guitar. No matter what you call the parts, you will still be able to reassemble it. Cool
Jack Mattison

North Bend, Wa
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 2:47 pm     knowing my steel

Taking pictures is a great idea........ Thanks James.
Ben Edmonds

Greenfield, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2008 7:34 pm    

I just rebuilt my pro III, the first time I tried it. Just got it back together last night and its like a brand new instrument! I couldnt be happier with it and the amount I learned has given me a totally new understanding of the steel. It took me a few weeks, I had to go out of town a few times but it wasnt that hard. I DID take about 200 photos and took lots of notes but really just having spent so much time with each part cleaning and polishing I didnt really need the pictures, just read some notes and put it back together.
All I can say is I couldnt be happier with this steel now and I am so glad I did it.
That said its probably not a good idea for just anyone to attempt it because you could end up screwing the whole thing up.... handy with tools, common sense and attention to every detail will caryy you far.
Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 1:34 pm     Pro III

Ben,
I also have a Pro III that I have been threatening to tear down, clean and refinish. I think that some of the brackets for the cross-rods are getting worn and sloppy and was thinking about getting some parts from J. Coop to replace them. There seems to be excessive travel in the pedals compared to my MSA.
My question for you is: Did you need to replace any hardware while you had it apart? Does it actually play better than before you did the work?
I have very good mechanical aptitude, so I am not too worried about messing the guitar up.

Tim