| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone else remember this?
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2008 10:14 am    

I grew up in the Imperial Valley, right on the Mexico/ California border. I'm 57, and remember in the early days of TV, we had just one channel out of Yuma, Ariz. 50 miles away. I remember watching the after school cartoon shows, and right after that, before the evening news, there was a live music show fronted by a steel guitar player who also sang. In those days it would tick me off that the cartoons were over.

It seems to me his name might have been Bud, but the brain cells don't work too well going back that far.

Anyhow, Yuma might have had a population of 40,000 in those days(1958-62 maybe). Was it a common thing for small TV stations to do a live local show back then? It was probably a holdover from radio. Even though I would have rather been watching cartoons, I thought they were pretty good. That was my first exposure to the PSG.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 7:02 am    

The TV stations did a lot of "live" programming in those days.
I was born and grew up in New Mexico.
I remember "Dick Bills and the Sandia Mountain boys" on radio and then later on on television.

BTW: Glenn Cambell's 1st wife was Dick Bills daughter.
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 7:15 am    

Brick, it might have been Bud Isaacs. He lives in Yuma but don't have any idea if he was there in that time frame. Just a guess! Ray
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
George Turner

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 7:33 am    

Brick,in Mobile, Alabama about the same time, there was a (local band) live country music show about 6 or 7 in the mornings.
The steel player (who also sang) was Don Davis. I believe he was married to one of the Carter sisters. I really enjoyed the show each morning. That was my first exposure to PSG also, but I think I liked the music as much as I did the cartoons.

George D.
Ellis Miller

Cortez, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 9:14 am    

When TV first came to the wilds and canyons of SW Colorado, I loved to watch Dick Bills who hosted the afternoon cartoon show on KOB Albuquerque. I was particularly impressed by the guitar player who actually played beyond the first four frets on the neck - a concept foreign to me at the time. His name was Glen Campbell.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 3:31 pm    

Augusta Ga, Sat. morning cartoons, and "The Peach Blossom Special"local pickers, and singers. One steel guitar player comes to mind, don't know if he couldn't do harmonics, or what..used to beat the strings with his picks instead of harmonics.( used to run me crazy )

BTW...There was a little girl that was on every Saturday too, Brenda Lee, think she finally cut some records or sumpin.

BF