| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transposing songs from other tunings
Judson Bertoch

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 6:12 am    

Following up on a snippet from a previous post and I just cannot find this anywhere in books,forums, web (maybe I've overlooked something but I did want you to know I've tried to research thoroughly before posting)

OK, I've got the theory books that folks recommended on the way and have high hopes and high level of determination.

In the meantime. Would someone be kind enough to list the process steps you take when transposing a song from tuning "x" to your tuning (taking an Open D or standard tuning song {or whatever} to your C6).

That said - does the result end up being purely technical/quantitative process or are there functional/qualitative aspects to overcome?

(e.g. having to change/refine because it's too much up & down the fretboard or just doesn't sound right, etc.)

Finally, though my goal is to learn to do this on my own, I see you can do transposition in software like Guitar Pro5 and others. Do you use these? Are the result good or hit/miss or ???

Thanks again everyone for the patience, support, ideas, and feedback....
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 7:47 am    

This is what works for me. Find the major triad in your tuning. In open D tuning, it's D F# A; in C6th tuning, it's C E G. Regardless of what the actual notes are, the relationship between the notes is the same.

Learn to play all the notes in a major scale no matter which tuning you use. There's a C major scale in all tunings.
Learn to play all the notes in a major scale no matter which string you start on.
There's a C note on all strings.

Repeat with minor scales.

Learn to play the I-IV-V chord progression as single notes starting from one bar position. For example, in the key of C:

I: C - E - G
IV: F - A - C
V: G - B -D

All of those notes are available starting from the twelfth fret on the sixth string (or starting from the open string on the sixth string). You have to move the bar a bit to get some of the notes, but you don't have to slide to the fifth or seventh frets to get them.

Work on simple melodies (I like "You Are My Sunshine"). Try playing the same melody starting on different strings.

Practice, use a metronome, and have fun.
Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 9:36 am     That is scary good teaching...

Brad Bechtel wrote:
This is what works for me...

Great job, Brad! This should be cross-posted somewhere, IMHO.

Thank you,

Johnne Lee

"In the course of a long life a wise man will be prepared to abandon his baggage several times."
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 11:27 am    

You can use your ear to figure out where the notes of the major scale are on one string as well as across the fretboard. Knowing what the notes are and how to build chords from scales will take you a long way. Memorizing where the notes are on the fretboard takes time and I admire those who master multiple tunings and are able to improvise proficiently on each one.
Judson Bertoch

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2008 3:28 pm    

read message, grab books that came today

...shuffle/shuffle/shuffle...

"major triad": root + major third + perfect fifth

....shuffle/shuffle/shuffle...

"minor tiad": root + minor third + perfect fifth

No sure what "perfect" means in that context but I know who to ask! And thanks for the plan of attack.

Way cool Brad, I appreciate it a ton.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2008 8:11 am    

Once you get oriented on C6th you will be able to play any tune anywhere on the neck, in any key you like. Some tunes sound better in the lower register, and some in the higher register. If you really want to play in the original key, that wont be a problem either.
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2008 2:17 pm    

Judson, can I suggest a couple of great web resources.
There are many good theory books etc but Ricci Adams has an excellent free basic course at http://www.musictheory.net/. You can access it on line or download a freestanding version. The sectio on intervals should sort out your "perfect" question.

Also check http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html which allows you to enter the tuning you are using (only six strings) and then it shows you where the notes of chords lie. An 8 or 10 string version of this would be great but it is useful nevertheless.
Mickey Lawson

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2008 1:49 pm     perfect fifth

Click on this site, these short paragraphs tell you all you need to know, and they're simple to learn: (a semitone is one fret)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect%5Ffifth
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2008 2:35 pm    

Or try the quick and dirty method .... just make yourself a transposing chart using a table in Word. Layout all the major and minor chords for all twelve keys and you're done. What's the relative minor in the key of D? Look at the chart .... in the key of C it's am. In the key of F it's Bm. Memorize as you go and eventually, you won't need the chart.
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2008 6:45 pm     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 20 Jun 2012 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2008 7:24 pm    

Doh! Meant D minor but was writing a post, digitizing a video clip, and sending an email all at once. I wanna go back to being on vacation!
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2008 3:47 pm     Bm

I was fixin to call ya on the Bm Andy. Mr. Green

But I knew it was just a mistake. Smile

Terry
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2008 3:40 am    

Here's a sample transposing chart ....