| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  amplifier idea input please
Richard Marko

Dallas, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 5:00 am    

I've been using a session 500 for along time, the amp is 28 years old and has never been modified/update.
The only trouble I have with it is sometimes it'll cut off in the middle of playing. All I do is take my two fists and bang on the top and it works again.
What I've found before was the loose connection pins in the white connectors that slide onto the posts.
I tighten the females and it works fine for a long time but I'll have to do it again now.
I'm considering buying a new amp and understand that the best out there new are Nashville 1000 and the WEBB. (Any others ?? )
When I buy a new amp to use in the mean time then I'll send the session in for an overhaul.

What my real question though is as follows:

I use a POD XT PRO and wondered if what I could do is buy a power amp for output of POD and a smaller speaker cabinet with a 15 or even a 18.
This would probably be cheaper.
The POD use can do all the bass, treb, mid, reverb, effects etc.. and just power amp it into the speaker.
I'm leaning this way , if anybody has ever done this let me know how it worked out.

If I do this should the cabinet for the speaker be enclosed or open ???
Can any one recommend a good / decent priced power amp that I can rack mount for a 19" ??

Any input / experience would be appreciated !!

Thanks;
Rich
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 12:11 pm    

There are several that I know of on this forum that are using "rack" systems with a POD XT Pro or a POD XT. I have a POD XT and have used it a couple of times with a Crate power block (as a stereo power amp) and two 12" speakers.

If you go the rack route, go "stereo" with two speakers, either 12" Black Widow speakers in enclosures or 15" Black Window speakers in enclosures.

The 1203-4 (4 ohms) Black Widow speaker is what Peavey used in the Nashville 112E enclosure (discontinued) and what Jeff Newman used in his rack system. The 1203-4 BW speakers are also what Paul Franklin uses (in Marrs enclosures).

The Peavey 1501-4 speaker is what is used in the later model Nashville 400's and in the Nashville 1000. It is also what was used in the Nashville 115E enclosures (also discontinued). The Nashville 115E's are what Herby Wallace uses in his rack system.
Richard Marko

Dallas, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 12:20 pm    

Thanks Jack !
I've heard from a few people to get the enclosed speaker cabinets, that it really brings out the bottoms.
The enclosed 18" sure did I'll tell ya but I'm trying to get away from the weight issue.
I'll try different sized speakers enclosed, the band PA has a few I can play with.

I've been told to try out the digital power amps such as the Peavey DPC 1000, any opinion on this route ?? It is thin and pretty looking.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 12:36 pm    

My current porto-rig is: PodXT (kidney)into Crate Powerblock into a Marrs cab with an Eminence Kappa 15" (neo mag) I use a paperweight to hold everything down on windy days. Just kidding.

The Crate (out of production---I bought a couple of extras to cover me for a few years) is not a fantastic sounding amp---if I A/B it with something really good sounding like a Fender Steel King it lacks sparkle & depth but standing alone, it sounds pretty good---good enough that I don't hesitate to use it.

I used to be a fan of open back cabs but I've lately taken to this closed Marrs. It is front ported (which David Doggett has experimented with and modded to gain better bass response on his, he reports).

If you are an uncompromising person there are much bigger and better solutions----heavier & higher wattage, better sounding power amps and solider and better cabs. But I am very satisfied with my rig for a portable compromise. It has plenty of pop & spank. And I have other choices (like the FSK) when I need higher output & max tone .

The Crate, btw, puts out 150 distorted watts. Clean? I'd guess around half that.
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 12:42 pm    

Have you looked at the TC Furlong SPLIT?
Richard Marko

Dallas, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 2:13 pm    

Lynn - I just checked it out and sent him a request on a price via e-mail..

It looks good and the weight is unbelievable but the question is will it be loud enough for me to hear on stage sitting behing me while the rest of the band is plugging away.

If the price is right maybe I'll take the chance to find out.

Thanks for the link !!!
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2008 6:13 pm    

Oh, it gets loud !!! i don't own one, but have played through one. The speaker in that stays cleaner a little bit longer than a BW-1203. The Split is a very well thought out and built unit. TC's a class guy to deal with.