| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need advice on delay/reverb rack unit
Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2008 8:13 am    

I am looking for a rack mounted delay/reverb that is electronically designed more like a stomp box unit. I am using a Fender Super Twin combo amp, and the Profex II and an Alesis Microverb seemed to "choke" the preamp section of the Fender. When I use my RV3, this does not happen, but I don't have the convenience of it being installed with my rack gear. If any of you have any suggestions on a good product, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Marty
Mike Davoult

Nevada
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2008 12:04 pm    

I had alot of those same kinda problems with effects processors so I put together a pedal board with good quality pedals and a good looper pedal to bypass pedals that are not used often and my problems went away. No hum, no tone loss, no problems. I don't think Fender amps like processors very much anyway, just my opinion, everyone is different.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2008 2:12 pm     effects

Marty...The Profex II functions as a preamp as well as a processor so when used in line with the amp one may be battling the other. My advice FWIW would be a TC Electronics, Lexicon, or similar rack mount effects unit as a replacement for the Profex.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 1:17 am    

Does the Super Twin have an effects loop ? If it does putting the Alesis in the loop might be worth trying. Same goes for the Profex, with the preamp function bypassed.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 2:48 am    

One caution, most of the rack processors, including the Lexicon's, are "line level" units and if you use it in the low level "instrument level" that your guitar, volume pedal are at, they will not work correctly and will be noisy.

If the Fender does not have a "line level" effects loop or a Preamp Out/Power Amp in like many of the Peavey amps you won't be able to use those.

Both a Profex II, which is both a preamp and effects processor (and has instrument level input) and another effects unit such as the Alesis is not really needed. The Profex II can have both delay and reverb so there's no need to use another effects unit in combination. Or the Profex II has the capability of chorous, phase, etc. Just run the Profex II and keep the output level at a very low level so you don't overload the input on the Fender amp (actually any amp's guitar input). The only thing with using a combination Preamp/Effects processor unit like a Profex II is that you have two preamp/EQ's with both the Profex II's and the Guitar amp's.
Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 12:03 pm    

Thank you guys for the advice. The Twin does not have an effects loop, or any preamp/power amp ins or outs. I was using the Profex and Alesis separately, for experimenting, but the redundant preamp setup is just not going to work. I am going to use the RV3 until I find a rack unit without a preamp section in it.
Thank You!
Marty
Jim Strawser

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2008 10:51 pm     rack units

Sad I'm having the same problem using a cheap lap steel into a Traynor Solid State amp, so i am leaning towardsusing my pedal board with A Digitech Digiverb and a Behringer AD 400 delay pedal. I'll just s Rolling Eyes ave the rack mount stuff for regular guitar playing on strats, teles' and the likes